Mini vs Samsung - Is this for real?
983 23 2020-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DemGingerBaws
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello there! Just had my Mavic Mini delivered today and was obviously very excited to get things up and running.

Imagine my disappointment when it turns out that it isnt compatible with a Samsung S10 5G, older phones I could understand but newer kit?  Really?

When trying to connect the phone to the controller, it just keeps thinking that it's a charger and wont progress into the rest of the set up.

I've checked a few forum posts and ran my phone into dev mode, usb tethering, etc etc - tried it all and none of it makes a difference.

Which should I contact to return this dead piece of kit, is it DJI or where I purchased it from as neither of them had this info in there sales topics yet as I've now found out it's a known fault?

If I've missed a fix somewhere then obviously i'd rather know that instead!

Cheers, for any and all info, DGB.

2020-8-15
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

There are plenty of people using the Samsung S10, wait until one of them comes along and helps you.
2020-8-15
Use props
DemGingerBaws
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Will do Geebax, hoping it's something simple and easily resolved.  Could be that I've only come across older posts and it's no longer an issue (fingers (and props) crossed).
2020-8-15
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you try switching the connection type to one of the media transfer modes? I seem to remember having to do that to get an S6 to work.
It also sometimes asks if I want to allow the connection, could you be missing, as in not seeing, such a message?
2020-8-15
Use props
DemGingerBaws
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Sean-newbie Posted at 8-15 15:37
Did you try switching the connection type to one of the media transfer modes? I seem to remember having to do that to get an S6 to work.
It also sometimes asks if I want to allow the connection, could you be missing, as in not seeing, such a message?

Did you try switching the connection type to one of the media transfer modes?

Hi Sean, as I have no idea what that even means, I'm going to guess not.  If it means USB tethering then yes, or more basically putting my phone into Dev mode then yes.

The problem is that my phone thinks it is being connected to a charger instead of the controller, surely there's a fix somewhere?
2020-8-15
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Technically the remote is a charger, check the usb settings

https://deviceguides.vodafone.co.uk/samsung/galaxy-s10-android-9-0/connectivity/transfer-files-between-computer-and-phone/
2020-8-15
Use props
DemGingerBaws
lvl.1

United Kingdom

itchyeyeballs Posted at 8-15 15:54
Technically the remote is a charger, check the usb settings

https://deviceguides.vodafone.co.uk/samsung/galaxy-s10-android-9-0/connectivity/transfer-files-between-computer-and-phone/

Sorry what?  What level are we dealing with here?

If that is some back handed comment that I havent tried everything obvious?

Confused.
2020-8-15
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ok a quick google suggest that if you saw the USB tehering option you might be looking in the correct place, other options that might appear on that page include "transferring files" and "MidIi". Rather than tethering try selecting one of those two and if that doesn't work try the other. My S6, from memory, gave other names and or options but you can but try until someone chips in with definite answers.

BTW it looks as if what I found contains information similar to that foiund in itchyeyeballs' link.
2020-8-15
Use props
DemGingerBaws
lvl.1

United Kingdom

It's 1am, I got this drone at 2pm the day before.

I am trying to connect a Samsung S10 5G with up to date software on both the phone and the app.

The controller thinks it is a charger, or the phone thinks the controller is a charger. Either way, it is stuck in a loop where the controller/phone is bleeping "Charging xx.xx%" over and over.

This is possibly the biggest let down in kit I've ever come across, I had such high hopes.
2020-8-15
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Re

''Technically the remote is a charger, check the usb settings
Sorry what?  What level are we dealing with here?''

As you will find out, the remote will act as a charger for the phone. It seems that this behaviour is part and parcel of the design specifications for the type of connection. You might be able to switch this charging off on the S10 but that is for someone else to answer. If you can not then you will have to either recharge the controller fairly frequently or cobble together a usb power pack connection such as that shown in https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... 87535/#post-1033156
2020-8-15
Use props
DemGingerBaws
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks Sean that is very good info, appreciated.

I've had another scan and it's not mentioned anywhere is any of the Sales blurb (please correct me if i'm wrong!)

If such a large range of phones are not compatible i would have thought it was more obviously stated somewhere, do you have the link for that?
2020-8-15
Use props
DemGingerBaws
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Sorry, i'm getting angry and i dont mean it at you, you're trying to help and i appreciate it, thank you.

I am trying to connect a Samsung S10 5G with up to date software on both the phone and the app.
The controller thinks it is a charger, or the phone thinks the controller is a charger.
2020-8-15
Use props
DemGingerBaws
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-15 17:49
Wondering if the RC to phone cable is bad?  Unfortunately Micro-AB (or Micro-USB, both work) to USB-C isn't something most folks have sitting around.

First thing i'd check normally, it's not cables though.
2020-8-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DemGingerBaws Posted at 8-15 16:33
Sorry, i'm getting angry and i dont mean it at you, you're trying to help and i appreciate it, thank you.

The controller thinks it is a charger, or the phone thinks the controller is a charger.
You need to learn a bit more about your phone.
Pull down from the top of the screen and you get something like the 1st pic here.
Do what it says and tap to get some options and pick the right one as shown in the 2nd pic so that the connection allows data rather than just charging.
And the controller charging the phone is just what happens with Android devices and you can't disable that.

S10_1.jpg
S10_2.jpg
2020-8-15
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

I have the same options set on my S9+ and I don't have to select anything... the Fly app just works with the RC.

Just plugging it in should do.

2020-8-15
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

I'm running the S9+ and Tab S3 if you were able to down load Fly app I'd think that your set but apparently not. I know it's hard, it was for me when setting up Fly app giving access to everything, Like mentioned earlier there are a few S10 5G users and hopefully they'll fly in soon to suggest any tongue placement to get you a lift off.
2020-8-15
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DemGingerBaws Posted at 8-15 16:10
Sorry what?  What level are we dealing with here?

If that is some back handed comment that I havent tried everything obvious?

nothing backhanded at all, just pointing out that all Android phones will see the remote as a charger, it's built into the OS and can't be turned off.

if changing the usb settings hasn't helped (can't tell from your post if you have tried all the options?) then as others have suggested the cable could be at fault, there are several reports of them being bad out of the box.
2020-8-16
Use props
DemGingerBaws
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I've now tried all of those USB options, its still stuck in the loop.  To clarify, it doesn't think its a charger and thats the end of it - it starts to charge then stops, then starts to charge then stops... start/stop , start/stop , start/stop.

How do I get my hands on a new cable? Shell out more cash and wait for days for one to arrive?

I appreciate all the help and suggestions everyone here has provided, I'd like to confirm the RC and the drone work ok when using the wife's old iPhone 6 so its either the software/settings or the cable - disappointed doesnt even come close to how I feel right now, what a crock of ... on £450 worth of kit, fuming.
2020-8-16
Use props
ESchimidt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310879 ft
Brazil

DJI must not like Samsung.
On my galaxy note 8, the phone hangs up out of nowhere.
2020-8-16
Use props
m80116
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3264131 ft
Italy

Did you try the same cable with another Mobile Device? Did you try to connect to another MD (with a different cable) ?

Ignoring the intermittent charging problem what happens if you go ahead, open the Fly app and initiate pairing ?
2020-8-16
Use props
Sean-newbie
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Re "I've had another scan and it's not mentioned anywhere is any of the Sales blurb (please correct me if i'm wrong!)" ...........if that is referring to the battery capacity vs Android thing see the 2nd? paragraph at the top of page 26 of the manual https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf
I knew that a Phantom 3 controller charged my phone but the significance of this and the current drawn from the controller was not driven home until I got the mini. The phantom 3's controller has something like a 6000mAh battery so can easily manage the 410mAh android charging current that I have seen for quite some time.

Re " if such a large range of phones are not compatible i would have thought it was more obviously stated somewhere, do you have the link for that?" amongst other? 'list pages' there is a list via the link under the google play banner on https://www.dji.com/uk/mavic-mini/downloads    I have the impression there are differences between the lists I have seen but that impression may be wrong.

With regards to other cables, if you have a micro-USB-male to big-old-style-USB-female cable, plug the male of that cable into the socket on the controller (MAKE SURE TO GET THE ORIENTATION CORRECT AND DO NOT TRY IT IF YOU ARE IN A TEMPER)  then connect the, at a guess big, old-style USB cable that came with the phone into the socket of the 1st cable I mentioned. The 'phone cable' MUST be able to transmit data and NOT be a charge only cable. The easiest way to check the latter is to connect your phone to a compter via that 'phone' cable, your computer should see the phone if the cable is data capable.
2020-8-16
Use props
itchyeyeballs
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DemGingerBaws Posted at 8-16 03:08
I've now tried all of those USB options, its still stuck in the loop.  To clarify, it doesn't think its a charger and thats the end of it - it starts to charge then stops, then starts to charge then stops... start/stop , start/stop , start/stop.

How do I get my hands on a new cable? Shell out more cash and wait for days for one to arrive?

those symptoms definitely sound like cable or connection.

check the port on your phone for dust

try gently manipulating/bending the cable where it meets the jack to see if you can get it keep connected
2020-8-16
Use props
comrant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 983025 ft
Canada

ESchimidt Posted at 8-16 04:19
DJI must not like Samsung.
On my galaxy note 8, the phone hangs up out of nowhere.

on my snapdragon note 8, it has been perfect since November..
2020-8-16
Use props
ESchimidt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310879 ft
Brazil

comrant Posted at 8-16 11:53
on my snapdragon note 8, it has been perfect since November..

Snapdragon is Working
Exynos, no.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=202675
2020-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules