Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Theft and Security
1973 33 2020-8-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mettauk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 269610 ft
United Kingdom

I was wondering about theft of a drone and security. I used a friends phone to connect to my Mavic Air 2 and used a different email to get going, without any problems. It got me thinking, I wonder if the drone can be locked if reported stolen via its serial numbers etc?  Perhaps even better tracked and recovered when connected to the net.
2020-8-17
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 7722949 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is currently no provision for anti-theft, locking, or recovery.
2020-8-17
Use props
JodyB
Captain
Flight distance : 148340 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've wondered the same thing before about anti-theft. There should be a way implemented for the owner of a drone to report it stolen or like some smart phones, lock it once it's connected to the net and receives that command to do so. All initiated by the owner.  And once the owner initiates that command, since the drone has GPS and compass abilities, report it's location to the best of it's ability. Of course an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure in my mind. But we pay USD $500 and up for these birds. For me that's a too much of an investment to have someone just take it from me and not be able to have some form of ani-theft  in place.
2020-8-17
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
Australia

JodyB Posted at 8-17 04:29
I've wondered the same thing before about anti-theft. There should be a way implemented for the owner of a drone to report it stolen or like some smart phones, lock it once it's connected to the net and receives that command to do so. All initiated by the owner.  And once the owner initiates that command, since the drone has GPS and compass abilities, report it's location to the best of it's ability. Of course an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure in my mind. But we pay USD $500 and up for these birds. For me that's a too much of an investment to have someone just take it from me and not be able to have some form of ani-theft  in place.

lock it once it's connected to the net and receives that command to do so. All initiated by the owner.  And once the owner initiates that command, since the drone has GPS and compass abilities, report it's location to the best of it's ability.
But the drone doesn't connect to the internet, so how would you suggest this could work?
I can imagine how the privacy paranoia folks would scream to have enough Big Brother interference built-in to their drones.
2020-8-17
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-17 04:57
lock it once it's connected to the net and receives that command to do so. All initiated by the owner.  And once the owner initiates that command, since the drone has GPS and compass abilities, report it's location to the best of it's ability.
But the drone doesn't connect to the internet, so how would you suggest this could work?
I can imagine how the privacy paranoia folks would scream to have enough Big Brother interference built-in to their drones.

The drone itself doesn't connect to the net, but more than likely, the drone itself would be sold by the would be thief and the person who received it (more than likely not knowing the drone was stolen) would want to set it up to fly and the device the use would. This would be something that could be initiated by the owner of the drone. There are a lot of things currently that would need to be worked out though like in the case of selling a drone. There isn't a way to remove a registered DJI drone from your account. And I do realize that even with current cell phones, it wouldn't work 100% either. I'm just thinking it would be something nice to have the ability to do to at least try to recoup someone's investment. And I do think the capability is there to do something with that idea.
2020-8-17
Use props
The Saint
Captain
Flight distance : 2769810 ft
  • >>>
United States

buy a drone from someone and after you pay them and receive the drone, they call dji in china and lock it on you until you pay them more.

keep flying your drone around town and the police call dji and lock your drone.

I don't want any locks on my drone.
2020-8-17
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-17 05:30
buy a drone from someone and after you pay them and receive the drone, they call dji in china and lock it on you until you pay them more.

keep flying your drone around town and the police call dji and lock your drone.

That's only part of the work that would need to be done. Being able to remove the drone from account. No different that buying an itunes locked iphone in my opinion. And that's all it is, an opinion.
2020-8-17
Use props
The Saint
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JodyB Posted at 8-17 05:53
That's only part of the work that would need to be done. Being able to remove the drone from account. No different that buying an itunes locked iphone in my opinion. And that's all it is, an opinion.

understood but unlike the mobile phone, the infrastructure just isn't there to support this feature set on dji drone even a little bit.  we would have to put up with years of issues trying to get this right and ultimately it's not worth it for a device where there is no personal information or privacy issues to protect.  the sole motivation to do this cannot be simply to protect against theft or unauthorized theft.  same, my opinion, I don't think it is worth it for a drone despite the cost (we still don't see this in cars).  does tesla have this?
2020-8-17
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

There is a simple & effective way to implement an anti-theft/locate/lock protocol.  I have detailed it in previous posts.  

In short, it would function like LoJack for Laptops.   The drone serial number is registered to a user's DJI account.  It can be optional & deregistered if sold.  When a drone connects to the internet, it connects to DJI servers to check for updates.  It would add a check to a security server & log it's current GPS location, IP address, & check the Lock status.

Owners could log in to their DJI account to check the last GPS coordinates, IP, & flag a device to Lock/Unlock the next time it connects.  Once locked it remains locked until it receives an unlock flag.  Firmware updates are blocked when locked.  A message could be set to appear in the app of a person attempting to use the drone.

This is how LoJack for Laptops works.  True, there is no guarantee a drone or laptop will connect.  But if it does it reports GPS, IP, & sets the lock status.  
2020-8-17
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-17 06:10
There is a simple & effective way to implement an anti-theft/locate/lock protocol.  I have detailed it in previous posts.  

In short, it would function like LoJack for Laptops.   The drone serial number is registered to a user's DJI account.  Whenever a drone connects to the internet, it connects to DJI servers to check for updates.  It would add a check to a security server.  It would log it's current GPS location & IP address, & check the Lock status.

@The Saint, i do realize the infrastructure isn't there. That's why I say there would be work that needs to be done. To create and implement an infrastructure to support it. But the capability is there. Just the work would need to be done to be able to do it.

Dirty Bird, much appreciate that you see the same things I do on this subject. Love the hat btw!!
2020-8-17
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-17 06:00
understood but unlike the mobile phone, the infrastructure just isn't there to support this feature set on dji drone even a little bit.  we would have to put up with years of issues trying to get this right and ultimately it's not worth it for a device where there is no personal information or privacy issues to protect.  the sole motivation to do this cannot be simply to protect against theft or unauthorized theft.  same, my opinion, I don't think it is worth it for a drone despite the cost (we still don't see this in cars).  does tesla have this?
All it really needs is the support of DJI, server support dedicated to anti-theft, & a bit of code in the app & firmware to perform the check, report GPS, IP, & set the lock status.

Not saying DJI would get onboard.   Better for them you buy a replacement drone.  But it would not be difficult to implement.  The drone already checks for firmware & FlySafe database updates.  It would just be a quick connect to the security server.  It would also be a great selling point & could even be offered as a Premium support feature.
2020-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 5907336 ft
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 8-17 05:53
That's only part of the work that would need to be done. Being able to remove the drone from account. No different that buying an itunes locked iphone in my opinion. And that's all it is, an opinion.

+1 - Having had a M2P stolen I would very much like it to work like an iPhone.
2020-8-17
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 06:43
+1 - Having had a M2P stolen I would very much like it to work like an iPhone.

Sorry to hear about your M2 pro. Were you ever able to recover it?
2020-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 8-17 07:07
Sorry to hear about your M2 pro. Were you ever able to recover it?

Sadly not.  We parked in Pisa Italy for lunch and on returning to the car all the luggage was stolen,  we later learned that the crooks out there hire cars and get the keys copied and fit a tracker.  They then wait for a good time to see what's in them.    And then on top of that we parked at the police station to report it and 6 weeks later got a parking ticket.
2020-8-17
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 07:10
Sadly not.  We parked in Pisa Italy for lunch and on returning to the car all the luggage was stolen,  we later learned that the crooks out there hire cars and get the keys copied and fit a tracker.  They then wait for a good time to see what's in them.    And then on top of that we parked at the police station to report it and 6 weeks later got a parking ticket.

I would have been fit to be tied. Loosing all your belongings and not being able to recover them and then the insult of a parking ticket on top of all that. I would have been very upset as I say you was also.
2020-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 8-17 07:20
I would have been fit to be tied. Loosing all your belongings and not being able to recover them and then the insult of a parking ticket on top of all that. I would have been very upset as I say you was also.

What was even worse was the insurance didn't cover the loss as it was in the car at the time.   Luckily we had our passports and e-tickets on our iPhones to get home.
2020-8-17
Use props
JodyB
Captain
  • >>>
United States

WOW, that's horrible... I'm really sorry that happened to you...  Makes you wonder why we pay so much for insurance if they aren't going to cover anything.
2020-8-17
Use props
The Saint
Captain
  • >>>
United States

a million drones for sale out there on eBay, cl, private parties, all over the place.  what happens if you power up the drone you just bought and it's locked, what do you do?

my point is there is no way to effectively implement whatever technical solution you come up with.  unlike a mobile phone, the drone does not lend itself well to this type of activity which is likely the reason why it won't ever be attempted.  I know others like the idea and have stated valid reason why they like it but I absolutely hate it; way too much that could go wrong.  just to be clear, my focus is having any type of control mechanism in my device in which I don't have total control over.  when the Chinese government drops a note to dji "suggesting" these serial numbers get locked down....you get the point.

a drone is not a phone; it's a camera and even the most expensive dslr camera equipment don't have software locks that depend on the oem to operate.  why?  because it's a bad idea.  I definitely would slow down the used marketplace and depress prices.  along will come the hacks....
2020-8-17
Use props
Droneflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1713596 ft
South Africa

Here is a drone that must off flown away from its owner in South Africa and its finder is now trying to sell it on the net. They could of surely done with a security lock on the drone.

Drone 2.JPG
2020-8-17
Use props
The Saint
Captain
  • >>>
United States

for those who want to lock up everything or put a lock on it to prevent or discourage bad or evil or illegal things from happening:

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)"

slightly out of context, I know, but you get my point....

btw, you don't need to wait for dji, just wrap a huge chain and padlock around the arms and body and props and you have it secured!  
2020-8-17
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-17 08:10
a million drones for sale out there on eBay, cl, private parties, all over the place.  what happens if you power up the drone you just bought and it's locked, what do you do?

my point is there is no way to effectively implement whatever technical solution you come up with.  unlike a mobile phone, the drone does not lend itself well to this type of activity which is likely the reason why it won't ever be attempted.  I know others like the idea and have stated valid reason why they like it but I absolutely hate it; way too much that could go wrong.  just to be clear, my focus is having any type of control mechanism in my device in which I don't have total control over.  when the Chinese government drops a note to dji "suggesting" these serial numbers get locked down....you get the point.
What happens if the drone you buy off eBay or second hand just doesn't power up?  Not because it's locked, but because a scammer is selling a broken unit?   With ebay you could at least make use of buyer protection.   

There is always a bit of risk involved in buying second hand.  Buyers must be careful.  But doomsday predictions that an anti-theft tool for drones will somehow lead to scores of locked drone scam sales & crash the second hand drone market are a tad dramatic.  

LoJack has been available to computer users for years.  It has become popular enough that manufacturers even build support into the BIOS to further enhance it's effectiveness, preventing the protection from being thwarted with a drive replacement.   I am unaware of waves of locked laptops being sold, or a crash in second hand laptop sales.
2020-8-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Hello there Mettauk. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your valued insights with regards to this matter. Regretfully, we are unable to block your stolen aircraft. Tracking it would require the aircraft to be flying when it was lost through the flight record on your DJI application. We recommend that you report the said incident to your local authorities of the theft that had happened, and allow the police to run on their investigation of this incident. Hoping we could do more, we apologize. Thank you for understanding and please stay safe always.
2020-8-17
Use props
Mettauk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 269610 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-17 21:31
Hello there Mettauk. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing your valued insights with regards to this matter. Regretfully, we are unable to block your stolen aircraft. Tracking it would require the aircraft to be flying when it was lost through the flight record on your DJI application. We recommend that you report the said incident to your local authorities of the theft that had happened, and allow the police to run on their investigation of this incident. Hoping we could do more, we apologize. Thank you for understanding and please stay safe always.
Thank Stephen, it's not stolen, it was just a thought and an enquiry. It seems obvious that drone owners should be able to lock and track a drone that has fixed digital serial numbers.
2020-8-18
Use props
DJI Stephen
Super Moderator

Mettauk Posted at 8-18 00:09
Thank Stephen, it's not stolen, it was just a thought and an enquiry. It seems obvious that drone owners should be able to lock and track a drone that has fixed digital serial numbers.

Hi there Mettauk. Thank you for the reply and for the information you have given us. Let me please cascade this information to the designated DJI department for further attention. Again, thank you for supporting DJI and please fly safe always.
2020-8-21
Use props
wondercrew
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I am also worried that my account may be stolen because I received a notification a couple of times that they are trying to log in to my account. perhaps it's just someone confused the mail with mine or someone has it similar to mine, but it would be better if there was protection, for example, login by fingerprint or face recognition
2021-7-3
Use props
The Saint
Captain
  • >>>
United States

wondercrew Posted at 7-3 09:32
I am also worried that my account may be stolen because I received a notification a couple of times that they are trying to log in to my account. perhaps it's just someone confused the mail with mine or someone has it similar to mine, but it would be better if there was protection, for example, login by fingerprint or face recognition

wow, way to bring up an old thread from the dead.

everything that is worthy today is moving to 2-factor authentication.  i receive a dozen of these a week, someone trying to log into my account.

online accounts are indeed worthy of additional protection since account information usually contains critical and sensitive information and data. unauthorized account usage is a problem and must be protected again.

however, locking down drones and remote locks for drones....not so much.
2021-7-3
Use props
Shiver_P
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I am also worried that my account may be stolen because I received a notification a couple of times that they are trying to log in to my account. perhaps it's just someone confused the mail with mine or someone has it similar to mine, but it would be better if there was protection, for example, login by fingerprint or face recognition.
I have the same problem
2021-7-4
Use props
Tonyokal
lvl.2

Netherlands

yeah, I think face recognition would help to prevent many troubles
2021-7-5
Use props
idragon
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I am also worried that my account may be stolen.
2021-7-7
Use props
fans8ff5ff47
lvl.1
Poland

Look guys, why go to extremes.
The tech is here to lock the drone to your phone, or to the  controller with built-in display.
All DJI had to do is add a bit of software that upon start up ( out of the box) ask you for a unique password to allow a link
between drone and controller, therefore making a marriage between them two. Password would be kept in drone as well as in the controller, and would be asked every time before flight. ​
​Without the password , no start up, NO FLY
If you sell the drone, or replace one of them, you always have the password to marry them again or divorce then at will.
If stolen at least the crooks can’t do nothing with it, maybe parts,
1-17 00:15
Use props
kyalami
Captain
Flight distance : 11533225 ft
Sweden

fans8ff5ff47 Posted at 1-17 00:15
Look guys, why go to extremes.
The tech is here to lock the drone to your phone, or to the  controller with built-in display.
All DJI had to do is add a bit of software that upon start up ( out of the box) ask you for a unique password to allow a link

Excellent. Just read all treads and thought that having a pass word to unlock the drone from the controller before you can fly would be easy. Just like unlocking a phone.
1-17 01:25
Use props
yogi053
First Officer
Flight distance : 6889383 ft
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 2020-8-17 07:10
Sadly not.  We parked in Pisa Italy for lunch and on returning to the car all the luggage was stolen,  we later learned that the crooks out there hire cars and get the keys copied and fit a tracker.  They then wait for a good time to see what's in them.    And then on top of that we parked at the police station to report it and 6 weeks later got a parking ticket.

That's really rubbing your nose in it, is it not? (Parking ticket I mean)!
1-17 05:48
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 1-17 05:48
That's really rubbing your nose in it, is it not? (Parking ticket I mean)!

Yes,  it did not go down well when it arrived abut 6 months later,  in Italian so it was very difficult to work out what we had done wrong,  then actually paying it was a nightmare too.
1-17 06:48
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Captain
Flight distance : 6053 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is my understanding that the current flyaway insurance associates the drone and or the controller with the insurance purchaser's DJI account, it might also associate the drone with the controller. Am I correct? If so, is it the drone or the controller that is associated with the purchaser's DJI account or are both the drone and the controller associated with that DJI account? Are the drone and controller associated with each other?
If the above is correct it suggests to me that it would be possible, for applicable drones, for DJI to enable an owner to, without buying Fly away insurance, activate a similar association in order to prevent and or restrict the use of their equipment should it be stolen or lost. Does anyone agree?
Obviously the 'protection' provided would vary with whatever the associations are i.e. if the drone AND the controller are associated with one another then flying a 'found' lost drone could be prevented.
If the drone and controller are stolen then it is possible that the drone could be flown without a phone but from memory severe restrictions are in place on flights launched with no phone connected. If a phone is connected it would presumably not be logged into the appropriate DJI account. I assume the current associations established under the Fly away insurance scheme are designed to prevent an inappropriately logged in App being used and the drone is either grounded or restricted in that event.

1-17 08:47
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules