Hybrid and Satellite Maps
1715 4 2020-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DCSmith
lvl.2
United States

I am experimenting with waypoints and need a Hybrid map of the flight area to create my waypoints.

At home, I can swipe the map to the area (about 3.4 miles away) I want to map out waypoints. I can select a Satellite or Hybrid map with no problem. Smart Controller is connected to my home Wi-Fi.

In the field at my chosen location, all I can bring up is the Standard map. The Smart Controller is connected to my iPhone running a Hotspot. I have a good cell signal.

Am I missing something?

2020-8-19
Use props
TerminalVelocity
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6248064 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've noticed the same thing.  I prefer using the hybrid map while flying and as long as I'm at the house and connected to WiFi I have no problem.  If I move to a remote location, I no longer have any other option other than the Standard map.  I'm really confused about this as I thought that was the reason we had the option to download offline maps?  I have done this for every area I frequent and still can't use the Hybrid maps.  I hope someone will come along and provide more insight for both of us.
2020-8-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Most map providers make a charge to use them, the most expensive is probably Google Maps. And the charge for the useage of the maps is levied upon the company who authors the application using the map. Therefore, DJI have to pay a fee based on the number of hits using the map, and it seems they are not keen on paying much money, so they have chosen to using the cheapest map provider they can find, which is Here Maps.

You cannot choose a map from another provider, so you are stuck with the maps that DJI use. You cannot choose to use a different map.
2020-8-24
Use props
DCSmith
lvl.2
United States

TerminalVelocity Posted at 8-24 17:52
I've noticed the same thing.  I prefer using the hybrid map while flying and as long as I'm at the house and connected to WiFi I have no problem.  If I move to a remote location, I no longer have any other option other than the Standard map.  I'm really confused about this as I thought that was the reason we had the option to download offline maps?  I have done this for every area I frequent and still can't use the Hybrid maps.  I hope someone will come along and provide more insight for both of us.

OK.  However, Cellular Wi-Fi is Cellular Wi-Fi.  It shouldn't matter whether I'm at home or in the field.  That is why I turned off my at home Wi-Fi to test.
2020-8-25
Use props
DCSmith
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 8-24 18:08
Most map providers make a charge to use them, the most expensive is probably Google Maps. And the charge for the useage of the maps is levied upon the company who authors the application using the map. Therefore, DJI have to pay a fee based on the number of hits using the map, and it seems they are not keen on paying much money, so they have chosen to using the cheapest map provider they can find, which is Here Maps.

You cannot choose a map from another provider, so you are stuck with the maps that DJI use. You cannot choose to use a different map.

Reasonable answer.  DJI is just being cheap.
2020-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules