Missing EXIF Data
3879 11 2020-8-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HVPG
lvl.1

Canada

Hello,

I'm using the DJI Pilot PE mission planner on the DJI smart controller with the Mavic 2 Pro and have found that no EXIF data is being recorded.

I've tried flying in Tripod and Position and haven't had any luck in either.

Pictures taken from the DJI Go app are also not recording EXIF data.

I bought the drone specifically for mapping purposes so this data is vital for my use of the drone.

How can I get the Mavic 2 to start recording EXIF data?

Thanks,

HVPG

2020-8-19
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

Hi HVPG,

did you look on the pictures of the memory card from the drone itself (or the 8GB internal storage) ?
Those DNG files I took with my M2P contain all EXIF and GPS location data.

The pictures on the app on your smartphone or SC are just a low res copy transmitted by the drone.
2020-8-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You don't .. it happens automatically for all images the drone takes.
Post one of your images and I'll check for you.
2020-8-20
Use props
HVPG
lvl.1

Canada

JohnDG Posted at 8-19 23:25
Hi HVPG,

did you look on the pictures of the memory card from the drone itself (or the 8GB internal storage) ?

Thanks. This was mostly helpful. I noticed the photos in the cache do not have the EXIF data, even some of the photos in the SD card are not "originals" and have no EXIF data. Is there some way I can view only originals with EXIF data instead of having a mixed bag to sort through?

Here's a screenshot of the smart controller screen. Photos labeled "original" have EXIF. All the others do not.

2020-8-20
Use props
HVPG
lvl.1

Canada

Labroides Posted at 8-20 00:07
You don't .. it happens automatically for all images the drone takes.
Post one of your images and I'll check for you.

Thanks! Here's one.

2020-8-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

I meant an untouched original image straight from the SD card, not one that you've shrunk to 1500 x 1000.
It should have a filename like DJI_0344.jpg
2020-8-20
Use props
HVPG
lvl.1

Canada

Labroides Posted at 8-20 16:55
I meant an untouched original image straight from the SD card, not one that you've shrunk to 1500 x 1000.
It should have a filename like DJI_0344.jpg

I use the smart controller and it is beyond me where all the originals are stored. I've been trying to figure out where to find them for two evenings now.  
2020-8-20
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

HVPG Posted at 8-20 17:19
I use the smart controller and it is beyond me where all the originals are stored. I've been trying to figure out where to find them for two evenings now.

The originals are stored in only one place, the Micro SD Card in the aircraft. To access them, pop the card out of the aircraft, place it in an SD card reader, and copy the files to your computer.
2020-8-20
Use props
HVPG
lvl.1

Canada

Oh my gosh. The original photos are in the SD card IN the drone. Face palm.
I was checking the SD card in the smart controller itself.

Thanks Labroides and John DG for the leads. Every little thing helps.
2020-8-20
Use props
HVPG
lvl.1

Canada

Geebax Posted at 8-20 17:31
The originals are stored in only one place, the Micro SD Card in the aircraft. To access them, pop the card out of the aircraft, place it in an SD card reader, and copy the files to your computer.

Problem solved. Thank you so much.
2020-8-20
Use props
MikeCip
lvl.1

United States

I did a face=palm too when I remembered the GPS EXIF data would be inthe bird.

My question is, is there a wawy to store both DNG & JPEG files that contain the EXIF data while using the Smart COntroller?  I love the DNG (RAW) files for stills editing, but I can't find a reliable mapping software (ie DroneDeploy) that accepts DNG files to peocess.  TIA
2022-4-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MikeCip Posted at 4-17 10:27
I did a face=palm too when I remembered the GPS EXIF data would be inthe bird.

My question is, is there a wawy to store both DNG & JPEG files that contain the EXIF data while using the Smart COntroller?  I love the DNG (RAW) files for stills editing, but I can't find a reliable mapping software (ie DroneDeploy) that accepts DNG files to peocess.  TIA

is there a way to store both DNG & JPEG files that contain the EXIF data while using the Smart Controller?

It makes no difference which controller you use, the image files are all stored on the drone's SD card and they all have EXIF data.
If your question is how to have the camera save dng and jpg files for each image, you need to go ubto the camera settings in the app (while the drone is connected) and select the jpg + raw option for Image Format.
Screenshot_20220418-104308a.jpg
2022-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules