5500 11 2020-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
intruder83
lvl.2
Flight distance : 953307 ft
Ireland

Hey guys,
I guess it's not the best idea ever, but have anyone tried landing Mavic Air 2 on a moving boat?
I'd say there are a few things to change in options before flying from a moving boat:
- Disable sensors
- Hover if signal lost (RTH by defaut)
Anything else?
If I crashed it, would DJI care refresh cover it?

2020-8-20
Use props
intruder83
lvl.2
Ireland

I was thinking about preparing attachable handle that I could velcro strap to MA2.
2020-8-20
Use props
Ruzhye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795640 ft
United States

intruder83 Posted at 8-20 08:06
I was thinking about preparing attachable handle that I could velcro strap to MA2.
[view_image]

There is YouTube channel called SV Delos that made a home-made handle to assist with grabbing and not risking a drop or injured fingers.
2020-8-20
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm not sure how DJI would handle the warranty issue if something happened.

Yes to disable the sensors but if you have a cellular data device the RTH can be updated as you move. If you have it set to hover and you don't make it back to it to recover it and the battery dies then DJI will definitely not cover it. You risk a lot when trying to take off and land from a boat in general.
2020-8-21
Use props
intruder83
lvl.2
Ireland

Ruzhye Posted at 8-20 18:36
There is YouTube channel called SV Delos that made a home-made handle to assist with grabbing and not risking a drop or injured fingers.

Thanks! Will take a look
2020-8-22
Use props
intruder83
lvl.2
Ireland

Cavu Films Posted at 8-21 12:28
I'm not sure how DJI would handle the warranty issue if something happened.

Yes to disable the sensors but if you have a cellular data device the RTH can be updated as you move. If you have it set to hover and you don't make it back to it to recover it and the battery dies then DJI will definitely not cover it. You risk a lot when trying to take off and land from a boat in general.

Thanks for your reply.
It's probably not worth a risk. They are a good few videos on YouTube where people lost their drones trying to land on a moving boats.
2020-8-22
Use props
Ruzhye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795640 ft
United States

intruder83 Posted at 8-22 10:17
Thanks for your reply.
It's probably not worth a risk. They are a good few videos on YouTube where people lost their drones trying to land on a moving boats.

It's very impressive footage when they get it, but you are right that there is a lot of risk involved.  Especially when the boat is moving away from the RTH location.
2020-8-22
Use props
RayH
lvl.4
United States

I have done this - not recommended.  I lost my first Spark by doing this (boat stopped, but unanticipated current still moving boat).  Battery ran down low enough while futzing around with landing that an automatic forced landing occurred (into the water).  I watched it sink in 35ft of water like a rock.

I have since modified my procedure as follows.

• Stop boat
  • Launch drone
  • Power up boat - film, periodically updating RTH location
  • Stop boat
  • Update RTH location
  • Recover drone either with RTH or manually (with PLENTY of battery margin remaining)

Some of my "underway" boat videos are here:  https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=222998

2020-8-23
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would bring the drone down along side the boat and reach out and hand catch it,   too many lines and stays on a yacht to land on it.
2020-8-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Definitely hand catch
2020-8-25
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Fish net ))
Land in hand make sure you have at least batteries for another 5 minutes...just in case...
And disable auto rth if some is wrong...just hoover....
2020-8-25
Use props
intruder83
lvl.2
Ireland

RayH Posted at 8-23 09:18
I have done this - not recommended.  I lost my first Spark by doing this (boat stopped, but unanticipated current still moving boat).  Battery ran down low enough while futzing around with landing that an automatic forced landing occurred (into the water).  I watched it sink in 35ft of water like a rock.

I have since modified my procedure as follows.

thank you all for your replies and advises. Much appreciated
2020-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules