Do you use your Osmo Pocket with your Mobile
904 14 2020-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I was planning to use my OP with my Huawei P20 for the first time.  I've used my OP stand alone for over a year now but I struggle big time with the small screen.  I'm in my 70s and eyesight is not as good as it used to be.  I can see the image perfectly using my phone.

I know to have my phone fully charged (or the OP will try and charge it) but what else should I be aware of?  How many of you use your OP with your phones?

Any advise appreciated.

John
2020-8-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Hi John.
Sometimes I find the virtual joystick hard to find in a hurry. I wish it was a bit darker on the screen. It is not natural for me as I'm a 'leftie'. Wish I could swap that control to the other side of the screen.
Sometimes the phone screen is hard to see in bright light so I have a slip on sun screen for the phone.
Battery life connected is not good. Even with a fully charged phone and Pocket. Phone connection in the past was never 100% fault free but the last update improved that quite a bit. Sometimes I still get the odd dropout. I get a better connection using the bottom port of the phone with my Pocket but then I can't use an external mic. Taking the phone / pocket holder apart and together is a bit of a pain for me.
Is it worth the trouble?
Yes.
2020-8-20
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

I almost always use it with my phone, but I have never been comfortable with the physical attachment system, so I use it with the wifi adapter. The wifi adapter slaughters the battery life, but for me it is a reasonable price to pay for the convenience.
2020-8-20
Use props
Robb OConnor
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I do use it a lot with my phone for the same reasons you state ie eyesight on a small screen ,  be aware that if you have a thick case on your phone you may have to remove it to connect it properly. It’s a major issue with iPhones but I’m not sure on your model. Same issues as Ray regarding bright sunlight on phone screen. If you do use it with your phone I would invest in a grip system to keep the connection more secure.
2020-8-20
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice.  
Yes, I do have an attachment that locks my phone to the OP.  A ULANZI OP-1.  Perfect for my needs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prod ... title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Huawei P20 has a very bright screen so I'm hoping that won't be a problem.    Also hoping that if a Mk2 OP comes out, it has a larger screen.
2020-8-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

John Walker Posted at 8-20 13:41
Yes, I do have an attachment that locks my phone to the OP.  A ULANZI OP-1.  Perfect for my needs.

Hi John.
Considering it's regarded s best practice not to shoot into the sun then it's normally at my back most of the time.
I also am using a Huawei phone and I definitely need a sunscreen or a wide brimmed hat from time to time.
The MK II Pocket, if it ever arrives could have a 2.1" screen but won't be much of an improvement for me.
I have a 3.5" screen on the back of my main camera and that's a bit of a stretch for good evaluation. Also larger screens normally mean more battery drain. If the screen is large enough I could adapt a DSLR viewfinder loupe. That would work better.

Ray.
2020-8-20
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

John Walker Posted at 8-20 13:41

By the looks of it it will have a much larger screen, but I am not sure if everyone would be happy with the new "action camera" form factor. That is of course if the DJI patent is not abandoned and it comes out as the OP2...
2020-8-20
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

I only use my phone with the wifi and/or extension rod, never connected directly to the phone.
2020-8-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there John. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have given us. I hope that you will get the best information you need fro our fellow DJI Osmo Pocket owners who uses the Huawei P20 as a mobile device. Upon checking the said mobile device ( Huawei P20 ) on the recommended mobile device list for the DJI Osmo Pocket and with the DJI Mimo application. I am glad to say that it is include and this mobile device will work properly when using it on your DJI Osmo Pocket. Thank you and please stay safe always.
2020-8-20
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks again.

I will be walking and stopping at intervals to take shots of a few seconds.  What do you guys do about shutting down between shots?  Do you leave the phone and OP on?   Do you just shut one down and switch it back on to take the shot? etc etc     I'm not sure of best practice in this situation.
2020-8-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

John Walker Posted at 8-21 00:27
Thanks again.

I will be walking and stopping at intervals to take shots of a few seconds.  What do you guys do about shutting down between shots?  Do you leave the phone and OP on?   Do you just shut one down and switch it back on to take the shot? etc etc     I'm not sure of best practice in this situation.

I just shut down the OP and camera, but the battery drain may continue.  I'm not sure. I suppose a lot would depend on the time between takes and the vulnerability of the OP when not in its case. How you would walk carrying it between shots, etc.

Ray.
2020-8-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use mine with the wifi adapter with a selfie stick and phone attachment, never
connected to the phone directly.
2020-8-22
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

I am usually shooting short clips then move on and shoot again in different location for the whole day.
So I am always turn everything off while moving.

Usually have my phone in my left pocket and OP in my right pocket.
Quickly connect it with physical connecter, shooting 30 second clips then put every thing back to pocket.

In my shooting style, wifi adapter and any kind of clip holder is just too bulky to put in the pocket.

2020-8-25
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

John Walker Posted at 8-21 00:27
Thanks again.

I will be walking and stopping at intervals to take shots of a few seconds.  What do you guys do about shutting down between shots?  Do you leave the phone and OP on?   Do you just shut one down and switch it back on to take the shot? etc etc     I'm not sure of best practice in this situation.

I always shut the OP down if it is going to be longer than a few minutes before my next shot. The phone, I just put to sleep with the power button but I don't exit the Mimo.

OP wifi connection is not troublesome like the Osmo Action;  the phone can reconnect almost instantly, so I try to preserve some battery and let the little guy cool down whenever I have the chance .
2020-8-25
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

I use mine with my phone as well using a selfie stick and the wireless adapter.  I like having the bigger screen and the ability to access the settings.
2020-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules