First flight - Mavic Air 2 - Northwestern US
5632 23 2020-8-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AeroNW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232844 ft
United States

My new Mavic Air 2 arrived in June, then we moved a few miles away, so it was some weeks before I even unboxed it and read the manual.
We are close to a regional airport with a tower about 3 miles away, so Class D airspace here at home. I can receive automatic authorization through LAANC for 300 ft or lower, so I've been able to practice as often as time allows.  The abundant trees on the property give me good maneuvering practice, and are a constant reminder to pay attention and keep situational awareness.

I've noticed that the two distinct parts of this (flying and photography) are often not easily meshed together, but I think that comes with practice and building muscle memory. Here are some images from my first couple of flights. The downward view shows part of the property, and the trees that make it so beautiful and deadly. The "above the trees" views are of Mt. Rainier (Tahoma) in the sunset.

Bob

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view these resources, Don’t have an account?Register now

x
2020-8-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great Shots    
2020-8-21
Use props
AeroNW
Second Officer
United States

Thank you.
2020-8-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice shots. Where in Oregon are you?
2020-8-22
Use props
AeroNW
Second Officer
United States

Woe Posted at 8-22 10:15
Nice shots. Where in Oregon are you?

I'm in Olympia, just a little south of the city proper. Tumwater is closer, actually. I grew up in the Portland area, and am familiar with many of the locations depicted in your images.

After browsing through a lot of the stuff posted by others, I'm figuring out that here are a lot of potential  good scenic places around here: urban scene with waterfront, historic brewery, salt water bay and inlets, temporal rainforests, even a partially completed nuclear power plant (Satsop).

I'm looking forward to gaining more experience and confidence, and improving my images.

Thanks,

Bob
2020-8-22
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

AeroNW Posted at 8-22 11:22
I'm in Olympia, just a little south of the city proper. Tumwater is closer, actually. I grew up in the Portland area, and am familiar with many of the locations depicted in your images.

After browsing through a lot of the stuff posted by others, I'm figuring out that here are a lot of potential  good scenic places around here: urban scene with waterfront, historic brewery, salt water bay and inlets, temporal rainforests, even a partially completed nuclear power plant (Satsop).

Nice! welcome to the forum , looking forward to seeing
your work.
2020-8-22
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent shots
2020-8-25
Use props
默默地微笑了很久
lvl.2
Flight distance : 507336 ft
Hong Kong

great shot
2020-9-11
Use props
mark117h
Second Officer
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

Awesome Captures And Great View Of Mountain In Background
2020-9-14
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

AeroNW Posted at 8-22 11:22

Welcome to the forum Bob. I am right next to you in Lacey. It's great to find a fellow hobbyest here on the forum that is so close to me. Feel free to reach out to me anytime with any questions or good locations to fly.
2020-9-15
Use props
AeroNW
Second Officer
United States

Cavu Films Posted at 9-15 10:20
Welcome to the forum Bob. I am right next to you in Lacey. It's great to find a fellow hobbyest here on the forum that is so close to me. Feel free to reach out to me anytime with any questions or good locations to fly.

Thanks.  We had moved shortly after I bought the drone, so I didn't have much opportunity to start learning and practicing.  Now that I have a little more time, we're challenged by smoke and weather, both of which I hope will improve soon.

I hope ultimately to be able to utilize this as a tool in my consulting practice and use the drone to make inspections for tough access locations on commercial and institutional buildings.

I do have a question for you: have you shot the old (original) brewery building? I thought that might make an interesting subject one day.

Thanks,

Bob
2020-9-15
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes I hope the smoke dies down very soon and your drone will definitely come in handy for your business.

I have flown at the Old Tumwater Brewery but only took stills. I wanted to wait for them to finish the restoration before filming it. Here is one I took.

2020-9-15
Use props
AeroNW
Second Officer
United States

Cavu Films Posted at 9-15 21:51
Yes I hope the smoke dies down very soon and your drone will definitely come in handy for your business.

I have flown at the Old Tumwater Brewery but only took stills. I wanted to wait for them to finish the restoration before filming it. Here is one I took.

That's a cool image. Where did you stage for that flight?  I'm familiar with the park just across the river, but there appears to be some access from the south side as well.
2020-9-16
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

AeroNW Posted at 9-16 08:39
That's a cool image. Where did you stage for that flight?  I'm familiar with the park just across the river, but there appears to be some access from the south side as well.

When you come down the hill into the park there is a small patch of grass to the right. No one really goes to this area so you won't be bothered. I went during the week and it was overcast so hardly anyone was there. I tried to take the picture without all the fencing so that's why its only the upper portion.
2020-9-16
Use props
AeroNW
Second Officer
United States

Cavu Films Posted at 9-16 09:10
When you come down the hill into the park there is a small patch of grass to the right. No one really goes to this area so you won't be bothered. I went during the week and it was overcast so hardly anyone was there. I tried to take the picture without all the fencing so that's why its only the upper portion.

Thank you.
2020-9-16
Use props
AMIR_king
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Love the sunset mountain scene, very well done
2020-9-16
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cavu Films Posted at 9-15 21:51

I have flown at the Old Tumwater Brewery but only took stills. I wanted to wait for them to finish the restoration before filming it. Here is one I took.

Superb shot
2020-10-14
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you very much
2020-10-14
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're welcome
2020-10-14
Use props
ckat007
First Officer
Flight distance : 887024 ft
Finland

Very nice captures Bob
2020-11-2
Use props
AeroNW
Second Officer
United States

ckat007 Posted at 11-2 11:27
Very nice captures Bob

Thank you.
2020-11-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice captures Bob.   Really liked #2 with Mt. Mt. Rainier in the background.
2021-1-23
Use props
AeroNW
Second Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-23 07:09
Very nice captures Bob.   Really liked #2 with Mt. Mt. Rainier in the background.

Thank you.  The past few days have given us some clear (but cold) weather, and the views have been exceptional, but I have not set aside time to fly.  Hopefully the next couple of weeks will offer a few more of those,  and I can take advantage for some flying.

Cheers,

Bob
2021-1-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

AeroNW Posted at 1-24 17:25
Thank you.  The past few days have given us some clear (but cold) weather, and the views have been exceptional, but I have not set aside time to fly.  Hopefully the next couple of weeks will offer a few more of those,  and I can take advantage for some flying.

Cheers,

You're very welcome.  Stay safe and try to make some time for flying.  
2021-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules