22592 18 2020-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
COA_M600_PIC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237162 ft
United States

hello fellow pilots,

I just got my M300 RTK in and im trying to figure out all the new whistles. the Smart controller is fairly new to me i see inside the DJI pilot app on the controller has the same abality to import KML Shape files as DJI GS Pro. My question is how do i go about importing the KML shape files into the conroller? I have several KML files made that i would like to import into the controller for use wiht the m300.

Thanks for the info in advance!
2020-8-21
Use props
MW_POE
lvl.2

United States

micro sd is easiest, access files and import...relatively simple. flight planning is not as intuitive as you might hope though GS PRO is hopefully coming soon for more advance flight planning like the apps you are used to.
2020-8-26
Use props
COA_M600_PIC
lvl.4
United States

I think I actually figured out my initial issue.

The problem I was running into was file format errors and task type errors. I work with ARCmap by ESRI more than anything. After creating my KML file from ARCmap and trying to drop it in to the smart controller it kept giving me the different errors. I loaded my KML into Google and traced it using the google map drawing tools and saved it as kml to my sd card and it worked properly. It appears to be a formatting error between DJI and ARCmap. This makes no sense to me since i can draw a polyline in ARCmap and use that kml in DJI GS pro. but it doesn't work with the smart controller.

Thanks for responding any  extra information is always helpful.
2020-8-27
Use props
egeorgiou
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1283337 ft
Greece

The only workaround that I've found so far is to paste the geometry in kml's <coordinates> tag and then import it. Still looking how to get rid of exporting the tags that alter the import from Arc/QGIS kmls.
2022-5-9
Use props
fansff4ec702
lvl.2
Flight distance : 48307 ft

Samoa

egeorgiou Posted at 5-9 04:31
The only workaround that I've found so far is to paste the geometry in kml's  tag and then import it. Still looking how to get rid of exporting the tags that alter the import from Arc/QGIS kmls.

ive come across the exact same issue, but I imported my KML from QGIS. Can you clarify how i could get rid of the exporting tags?
2022-10-16
Use props
egeorgiou
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1283337 ft
Greece

fansff4ec702 Posted at 10-16 17:18
ive come across the exact same issue, but I imported my KML from QGIS. Can you clarify how i could get rid of the exporting tags?

1. Create a seed KML directly from google earth.
Open it in notepad.

2. Create the geometries you want in your enviropment. Export to KML. Open the file in notepad.
Copy the geometries from this file.

3. Replace the geometries from step 1 with the ones from step 2.

Remember that import supports only 1 geometry feature.

And a link
2022-10-18
Use props
fans5f012ee0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8583 ft
Israel

hi
is there a command for kml to set SHOTINTERVAL for waypoint mission ?
2022-11-17
Use props
PegasusFJ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 125162592 ft
Fiji

I just came across of a similar problem trying to import QGIS generated KML into DJI Pilot with no luck and did a little bit of investigation.
Now what I found is. DJI Pilot needs coordinates with altitude figures when QGIS produces KML without them and that's where DJI Pilot import brakes as they don't find important altitude coordinates for the polygon or waypoint line and the import brakes.

In case someone else faces such boomer, do the following:

1. In your DJI Pilot app create random simple mission. For example default square polygon for mapping mission.
2. Export that mission in KML file from DJI Pilot app. That's going to be your template.
3. Open it in any text editor (Notepad for example) and open your QGIS KML file in another window.
Take coordinates (figures in <coordinates></coordinates> section) from your QGIS KML file copy and paste them in the same section replacing coordinates in DJI Pilot exported KML file.
Pay attention to altitude figures in coordinate section. QGIS saves none or they would be irrelevant and need to be corrected to the altitude figures you need for your mission.

For example coordinates section from QGIS KML could be look like this
<coordinates>179.958529575439,-16.8766400350985 179.974090902535,-16.880952088413 179.968388552489,-16.8925083668104 179.956666294154,-16.8814541642813 179.958529575439,-16.8766400350985</coordinates>

Same section for successful import in DJI Pilot would be looking like this
<coordinates>179.958529575439,-16.8766400350985,100 179.974090902535,-16.880952088413,100 179.968388552489,-16.8925083668104,100 179.956666294154,-16.8814541642813,100 179.958529575439,-16.8766400350985,100</coordinates>

I've highlighted with bold the altitude figures that need to be added in the coordinates for successful import in DJI Pilot
So once you added them, save your DJI Pilot KML file and import it back in DJI Pilot app..

Done

P.S. I guess if your QGIS vector file comes with Z coordinate you mught get the right coordinate section for your DJI Pilot KML without need to add altitude figures there.. just take it from your QGIS KML and paste it in DJI Pilot KML template file keeping compliance with DJI Pilot KML format save and import it back in DJi Pilot..

There is also big section that looking like the one bellow is missing in your QGIS file that makes import in DJI Pilot impossible as it has to be present in the KML file tha you import in DJI software.
(just a sample from my mission)

<ExtendedData xmlns:mis="www.dji.com">
        <mis:altitude>100</mis:altitude>
        <mis:direction>270</mis:direction>
        <mis:margin>25.0</mis:margin>
        <misverlapH>80</misverlapH>
        <misverlapW>70</misverlapW>
        <mis:autoFlightSpeed>5.0</mis:autoFlightSpeed>
        <mis:takeoffSpeed>10.0</mis:takeoffSpeed>
        <mis:actionOnFinish>GoHome</mis:actionOnFinish>
        <mis:actionOnFinish>GoHome</mis:actionOnFinish>
        <mis:elevationOptimize>false</mis:elevationOptimize>
        <mis:photoMode>0</mis:photoMode>
        <mis:cameraType>hantom 4</mis:cameraType>
        <mis:focalLength>3.6</mis:focalLength>
        <mis:sensorW>6.2</mis:sensorW>
        <mis:sensorH>4.65</mis:sensorH>
        <mis:imageW>0</mis:imageW>
        <mis:imageH>0</mis:imageH>
        <mis:shotInterval>2.5</mis:shotInterval>
      </ExtendedData>

If you see some stupid emoji in the code above, please excuse. That's not me, that's DJI silly forum adds them.

So make sure the Extended Data section is present in your KML or just use DJI exported KML as a template and just replace coordinates in there making sure they have altitude figures.

2022-12-4
Use props
COA_M600_PIC
lvl.4
United States

PegasusFJ Posted at 12-4 18:44
I just came across of a similar problem trying to import QGIS generated KML into DJI Pilot with no luck and did a little bit of investigation.
Now what I found is. DJI Pilot needs coordinates with altitude figures when QGIS produces KML without them and that's where DJI Pilot import brakes as they don't find important altitude coordinates for the polygon or waypoint line and the import brakes.

I'm still very new to QGIS I'll need to look into this as I'm slowly trying to move away from ESRI. The one for sure way I have found my .KML files to work is by creating them in Google Earth Pro as it assigns the X, Y, and Z cords.  

Thank you for your feed back on the QGIS side I'll look further into that.
2022-12-5
Use props
PeterO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 321388 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

COA_M600_PIC Posted at 2020-8-27 05:34
I think I actually figured out my initial issue.

The problem I was running into was file format errors and task type errors. I work with ARCmap by ESRI more than anything. After creating my KML file from ARCmap and trying to drop it in to the smart controller it kept giving me the different errors. I loaded my KML into Google and traced it using the google map drawing tools and saved it as kml to my sd card and it worked properly. It appears to be a formatting error between DJI and ARCmap. This makes no sense to me since i can draw a polyline in ARCmap and use that kml in DJI GS pro. but it doesn't work with the smart controller.

Hi.  I just wasted over an hour banging my head against this same issue.  I need to upload KMLs onto a Smart Controller for DJI M3E-RTK.
I used ESRI ArcGIS Pro to generate a KML file and DJI Pilot could not read it.  Opened fine in Google Earth Pro and all KML programmes.  I trawled the Internet and - thankfully - found you description.

Given ESRI is the World's largest GIS company (the GIS equivalent of DJI)  for their Pilot 2 app to not read ESRI KMLs cleanly (or at least post a useful error) is really CRAP.

DJI: come on - you need to fix this oversight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing your solution.
2023-2-23
Use props
COA_M600_PIC
lvl.4
United States

PeterO Posted at 2-23 19:40
Hi.  I just wasted over an hour banging my head against this same issue.  I need to upload KMLs onto a Smart Controller for DJI M3E-RTK.
I used ESRI ArcGIS Pro to generate a KML file and DJI Pilot could not read it.  Opened fine in Google Earth Pro and all KML programmes.  I trawled the Internet and - thankfully - found you description.

I have done more research into this matter. It seems that ARCpro doesn't provide the elevation factors of the ground. where as google Earth Pro has the ability to interpolate the elevations the drone needs for the automated flights. I almost only use Google Earth Pro to draw flight paths now. If I'm flying something specific I need from ESRI I load that .kml into google and trace it. haven't had any errors since. It would be nice if ESRI could fix this issue.

(I know its a pipe dream... one could wish though)
2023-3-1
Use props
djiuser_Gx2O64gYWduA
New
Greece

hi,
i hane a similar problem and i would like to have your opinion i have a specific message that pop-up when i'm trying to inport kml file :

"Attempt to invoke interface method 'java.util.lterator java.util.List.iterator()' on a null object reference."

What is the meaning of this message.
Thanks
2023-5-19
Use props
COA_M600_PIC
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_Gx2O64gYWduA Posted at 5-19 03:19
hi,
i hane a similar problem and i would like to have your opinion i have a specific message that pop-up when i'm trying to inport kml file :

Can I ask what application did you use to create the .KML file?

ie.: Google Earth Pro, ArcGIS pro, ArcMap, QGIS etc....

I have found it best to use Google Earth Pro since that application applies the x, y, & z cords the drone needs for auto flight. Any time I use ArcGIS Pro or for that matter any ESRI product I always get an error.

Also, if you are using google earth pro to create the .KML file you may try googling that specific error as it may be something completely different.

Hope this info helps. Feel free to reply and I can help, to the best of my knowledge, with trouble shooting.
2023-5-19
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

djiuser_Gx2O64gYWduA Posted at 5-19 03:19
hi,

https://forum.dji.com/thread-283890-1-1.html
2023-5-19
Use props
djiuser_TfJf3vvxzmXj
New
Sweden

Hi!
Interesting thread and i have the same issues. It is strange the Dji didnt make this easier. I have been using GS pro for a few years and it works flawlessly importing kml files, i can even import a kml with 45 polygons and it still lets me convert 1 polygon at a time to a mission. So for that not to be directly available in Pilot 2 is a disappointment. Looks like the google earth method is the easiest solution at the moment.   
2023-10-23
Use props
djiuser_TfJf3vvxzmXj
New
Sweden

COA_M600_PIC Posted at 3-1 06:30
I have done more research into this matter. It seems that ARCpro doesn't provide the elevation factors of the ground. where as google Earth Pro has the ability to interpolate the elevations the drone needs for the automated flights. I almost only use Google Earth Pro to draw flight paths now. If I'm flying something specific I need from ESRI I load that .kml into google and trace it. haven't had any errors since. It would be nice if ESRI could fix this issue.

(I know its a pipe dream... one could wish though)

I also use arcgis pro, maybe worth checking if the tool you use to create the kml has an option for height settings. I seem to remember something about this when looking into another problem
2023-10-23
Use props
djiuser_QzHVud2GguY9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8060650 ft
Hungary

There is a two-step solution to this issue. First, you need to export the track from ArcGIS in Shape format. After that, you can import it into Google Earth using the File -> Import function. From there, you just need to export it in KML format, and it should work.
2023-12-8
Use props
COA_M600_PIC
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_QzHVud2GguY9 Posted at 12-8 04:47
There is a two-step solution to this issue. First, you need to export the track from ArcGIS in Shape format. After that, you can import it into Google Earth using the File -> Import function. From there, you just need to export it in KML format, and it should work.

That just seems like unnecessary extra steps..
2023-12-8
Use props
djiuser_QzHVud2GguY9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8060650 ft
Hungary

COA_M600_PIC Posted at 12-8 04:53
That just seems like unnecessary extra steps..

Certainly, but if someone wants to plan the route very precisely based on DWG plans, then it is significant. Obviously, in Google Earth, everything is faster, assuming it's not an area that is not visible on the map.
2023-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules