Wobbly Video from Phantom 4 Pro 2.0
1231 6 2020-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkyBluP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49518 ft
United Kingdom

Nearly all the video I record with my phantom 4 pro+ 2.0 comes out with jello / is wobbly. I have searched this problem and see that some others have had the same problem and have tried various things to fix it but no luck.

I have tried:

compass calibration,
imu calibration,
changing props incase the props were not balanced,
turning off mechanical shutter,
resetting gimbal settings,
recording video at 4k60, 1080p60 and 1080p30

i also tried the gimbal calibration 3 times but everytime i try to do that it gets stuck at 50%. i have let it sit for around 15 minutes but it never goes past 50% so then i have to turn off the drone and the controller.

Some people said the problem is high shutter speed and ND filters can help, i think this may be true though i dont have nd filters but in one of my tests i tried to get shutter speed as slow as possible and the video wobble did stop. I have a video on youtube i uploaded that shows this, if you want i can link to video? In the video i am flying in the evening when light is low so shutter speed is already slow but the wobble is still there (not perhaps as bad as when there is alot of light) then in middle of the video i change ISO from 200 to 100 and the phantom then slows down the shutter to let more light in and at this time you can see the wobble stop instantly!

I have had this problem since i bought the phantom 4 pro but at start i blamed myself thinking, 'perhaps i am not flying smooth enough', or 'perhaps it happens because there is wind' but this happens when there is zero wind. and you notice it the most when flying slow or sitting still. The drone has never been crashed or landed hard etc.

2020-8-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi SkyBluP, could you please upload a sample video for further checking? Do you notice if the gimbal itself shakes when you turn on the drone?
Please check if there is anything, e.g. dust or debris, stuck in the gimbal, try to clean it out if so. Besides, you may try to refresh the latest firmware for the drone via DJI Assistant 2.
If the gimbal is still unable to be calibrated successfully and the gimbal issue persists, you can send the drone back for diagnosis.
Please fill out the online repair request on our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2020-8-23
Use props
SkyBluP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hello, really sorry for slow reply, I have been so busy.

Here is video on a very sunny day showing the wobble:
https://youtu.be/mgTu4uZLUaI

Here is a video on a darker evening where I was able to slow down the camera shutter and stop the wobble, you will see the wobble stop at 43 seconds into the video.
https://youtu.be/Wc-SrpouiCY

Im not sure what you mean about shake when turning on the drone so i recorded a video to show you here:
https://youtu.be/UaFiyiXt7Zg

I can tell you that after the drone and controller are powered on and everything is ready to begin flying that if I press my finger gently against the top of the gimbal I can feel a vibration from the gimbal. (this is when the drone is sitting still on the ground)

I have checked and there seems to be no dirt or debris stuck in gimbal.

I have just downloaded DJI Assistant and will try to reflash firmware now.
2020-8-30
Use props
SkyBluP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ok, turns out I was using the .5000 firmware, so I updated to .5200 I then tried to calibrate gimbal again and it failed at around 12 or 18% saying "error, gimbal motor overloaded" and the camera went limp. I turned everything off and on and tried again and this time it got to 50% and froze just like before. I turned everything off and on and tried to fly without calibrating and tested video but the wobble is still there.
2020-8-30
Use props
SkyBluP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Update: I filled out a repair request, I will send off the product for repair soon. Am I right in saying I just need to send the aircraft and not the controller / battery / sd card / props etc. ?
2020-8-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

SkyBluP Posted at 8-30 06:38
Update: I filled out a repair request, I will send off the product for repair soon. Am I right in saying I just need to send the aircraft and not the controller / battery / sd card / props etc. ?

You would certainmly need to send the props along with the aircraft, as they may be part of the problem.
2020-8-30
Use props
JetSam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

2020-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules