Simultaneous battery charger
6323 29 2020-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Liz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi,

I would like to be able to charge the 3 batteries of my Mavic Air 2 (fly more combo) simultaneously.

I did find find this charger that can do this:

YX Multi Battery Intelligent Fast Charging Hub for DJI Mavic Air 2

but can't find any reviews of it, and am a little concerned that some of these 3rd party chargers may not be of very good quality.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a chargers that can do this?

Thanks for any help

Liz
2020-8-23
Use props
Joe.Mavic.D.HH
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8230085 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I use that one. Works great, no complaints!
2020-8-23
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Think again...The original charger delivers 13.2V (also this one=OK) and 2.82Amps...
If you consider that is needed 2.82 A for one battery, than for 4 batteries at once as original charger specifies, you will need 2.82 x 4 Amps = 11.28 Amps.
The chinese charger delivers only 8 Amps...so...you will brick the battery in time, of the charger will burn if you put 4 batteries in it...Will not happen instantly, but in time will give you a nasty fail.
Your choice...
But at more than 140 Euro/battery, you better think again...
2020-8-23
Use props
djiuser_q5iaj9hCKj59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1109 ft
United States

Not really understanding how charging at 2amp per battery vs 2.82amp will brick the battery.  Typically charging at a lower amp rate is less wear on the battery?  Since these are 3s 3500mah batteries, wouldn't anything less then 3.5amps be ok?  I'm asking because I am considering the same purchase.
2020-8-23
Use props
nmfireman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 71654 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pretty new here, but I saw that on your first charge you need to use the supplied charger or something like that
2020-8-23
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

nmfireman Posted at 8-23 12:45
Pretty new here, but I saw that on your first charge you need to use the supplied charger or something like that

Some batteries got out with a bug in the "wake up" function and would not wake up if charged with the multi charger. To be sure, just charge each one independently from the charger cable for the first time.

2020-8-23
Use props
Niknik
First Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

I have the same and it works perfect. Also its better that the original because is even more slow in charging. But you get 110 minutes for 4 batteries and not 270min for three with the original
2020-8-23
Use props
Joe.Mavic.D.HH
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8230085 ft
  • >>>
Germany

George210477 Posted at 8-23 11:22
Think again...The original charger delivers 13.2V (also this one=OK) and 2.82Amps...
If you consider that is needed 2.82 A for one battery, than for 4 batteries at once as original charger specifies, you will need 2.82 x 4 Amps = 11.28 Amps.
The chinese charger delivers only 8 Amps...so...you will brick the battery in time, of the charger will burn if you put 4 batteries in it...Will not happen instantly, but in time will give you a nasty fail.

...no idea how you come to the conclusion, that less maximum charging current will do any harm to the batteries. Apart from that, the whole charging intelligence is located inside every single battery which protects it against wrong charging voltage, unsuitable battery temperature etc.
So as long the charger is capable to deliver the right charging voltage it will work and  there would be absolutely no risk or chance of "burning" the batteries. The battery circuits keep an eye on that. And following the rules of physics, less charging current only will prolong the charging time correspondingly.
2020-8-24
Use props
George210477
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

I was talkimg about burning the charger.
2020-8-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Liz. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have give. Since this is a third party charger for the DJI Mavic Air 2 intelligent flight battery. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI co pilots who had purchased or tried this charger. Just a reminder that DJI does not recommend for you to use 3rd party accessories like chargers on your DJI products or on the DJI intelligent flight batteries. These 3rd party accessories ( chargers ) might affect the said DJI product when in use. There is a possibility that these 3rd party chargers will be able work. However, since it's not  tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the stability of the said 3rd party charger if it will work all the time with no issues and might void the warranty of the said DJI product. In addition you may also try to check the DJI Mavic Air 2 Battery Charging Hub found on our DJI store ( https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-air-2-battery-charging-hub ). Thank you and have a safe flight always.
2020-8-24
Use props
Liz
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your replies and information. I just need to decide what to do now!

@DJI Stephen
As I said in my original post,  I have the fly more combo, therefore I already have the DJI charging hub. But this only charges in sequence, so it takes over 4 hours to charge 3 flat batteries, and doesn’t address my question here in any way.
I don’t actually want to buy a 3rd party charger, however as far as I can tell, DJI do not make a battery charger that can charge batteries simultaneously (except for the ridiculously expensive “battery station” that’s specifically for the Inspire 2)
Can I suggest you consider making such a charger? I am sure there would be considerable demand for it.

Thanks

Liz
2020-8-25
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4897142 ft
Czechia

I recieved the upgraded version of YX charger with storage charging option yesterday. It cuts charging at 11,5V for battery storage. My plan is to use it for storage charging only (on sunday evening when I know I won't be flying next week or so), for full charge I'll be using DJI hub.
2020-8-25
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

virtual Posted at 8-25 01:04
I recieved the upgraded version of YX charger with storage charging option yesterday. It cuts charging at 11,5V for battery storage. My plan is to use it for storage charging only (on sunday evening when I know I won't be flying next week or so), for full charge I'll be using DJI hub.

Is it optional to fully charge or partially charge???  Where did you get the updated version???
2020-8-25
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

Rustic17 Posted at 8-25 07:39
Is it optional to fully charge or partially charge???  Where did you get the updated version???

Both options are available. Found it on banggood named "YX 6-IN-1 Multi Battery Intelligent Fast Charging Hub Controller Smartphone Charger Full/Storage Charge Mode for DJI Mavic Air 2 Drone"...
2020-8-25
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

virtual Posted at 8-25 10:29
Both options are available. Found it on banggood named "YX 6-IN-1 Multi Battery Intelligent Fast Charging Hub Controller Smartphone Charger Full/Storage Charge Mode for DJI Mavic Air 2 Drone"...

Trying to make sure I get the right one that will partial charge...is there a switch or something that selects full or partial???
2020-8-25
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

virtual Posted at 8-25 10:29
Both options are available. Found it on banggood named "YX 6-IN-1 Multi Battery Intelligent Fast Charging Hub Controller Smartphone Charger Full/Storage Charge Mode for DJI Mavic Air 2 Drone"...

This is what the description says:   

【Storage Charging】Using storage mode,batteries with less than 2 cells will be charged to 11.5-12 volts.The voltage is higher than 11.5-12V, no charging in this mode.Long-term storage of the battery, storage mode can reduce the bulging caused by the full charge or the dead caused by the battery power is too low

But the MA2 battery is 3 cells...so does this feature even work???

This is on Amazon:   https://www.amazon.com/Hanatora- ... G9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
2020-8-25
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

Rustic17 Posted at 8-25 11:58
This is what the description says:   

【Storage Charging】Using storage mode,batteries with less than 2 cells will be charged to 11.5-12 volts.The voltage is higher than 11.5-12V, no charging in this mode.Long-term storage of the battery, storage mode can reduce the bulging caused by the full charge or the dead caused by the battery power is too low

Yes, manual is written in chinglish. There's a button for switching between full and storage mode.
Storage voltage is aprox 3.85V per cell, for 3S lipo it means 11.5V. It is not as good method as real inteligent chargers where are individual cells balanced precisely with low current but it should be better than leave the battery fully charged (and auto discharge to 96% next day and to 60% in a week).
2020-8-25
Use props
djiuser_q5iaj9hCKj59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1109 ft
United States

I don't think it discharges the battery only charges to 11.5v.
2020-8-25
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

djiuser_q5iaj9hCKj59 Posted at 8-25 13:58
I don't think it discharges the battery only charges to 11.5v.

It is charger only but DJI smart battery has auto discharge feature, so if You can't fly for a week You will end up with battery charged to 60% anyway...
2020-8-26
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

Just quick user experience update - YX muticharger works as described earlier, in storage mode it stops charging at aprox. 11,5 Volts - see picture below (battery status after storage charge). You can not combine charging modes (full and storage) at the same time.

2020-9-10
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

virtual Posted at 9-10 00:34
Just quick user experience update - YX muticharger works as described earlier, in storage mode it stops charging at aprox. 11,5 Volts - see picture below (battery status after storage charge). You can not combine charging modes (full and storage) at the same time.

[view_image]

Interesting find - thanks for sharing.
2020-9-10
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

virtual Posted at 9-10 00:34

[view_image]

Bottom line is if using storage mode, what percentage of battery does it charge to???  
2020-9-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 9-10 06:40
Bottom line is if using storage mode, what percentage of battery does it charge to???

Are you buying this? One of the very few things I dislike about the MA2 is the charge times of the batteries. This looks ideal, if it doesn't cost me over £400 in battery replacement costs.
2020-9-10
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

Rustic17 Posted at 9-10 06:40

Fly app indicator showed 56% (if I remember) and 2 solid a third blinking led on battery case. But the cell voltage is most important number here.
This YX charger works like You have disconected DJI charger when 3 leds are flashing (after aprox 30-35 minutes of charging) while true smart chargers with balancing port do balance each cell individually with low current for precise ending of charging program (whether is full or storage). This battery from the picture has less than 10 cycles and cells are balanced.
2020-9-10
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

A J Posted at 9-10 07:46
Are you buying this? One of the very few things I dislike about the MA2 is the charge times of the batteries. This looks ideal, if it doesn't cost me over £400 in battery replacement costs.

Speaking of full recharge there shouldn't be much difference from stock DJI charger, it supplies power and smart battery regulates "how much it needs". DJI charger can supply 2,8A while YX charger can supply 2A on each battery port, so it recharges a bit slower but 4 batteries simultaneously.
Storage mode is not as precise as I would like viz my previous answer, so I will keep my eye on cell voltage levels for a few cycles...
2020-9-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

virtual Posted at 9-10 08:37
Speaking of full recharge there shouldn't be much difference from stock DJI charger, it supplies power and smart battery regulates "how much it needs". DJI charger can supply 2,8A while YX charger can supply 2A on each battery port, so it recharges a bit slower but 4 batteries simultaneously.
Storage mode is not as precise as I would like viz my previous answer, so I will keep my eye on cell voltage levels for a few cycles...

Thanks for the info mate
2020-9-10
Use props
virtual
Second Officer
Czechia

A J Posted at 9-10 08:59
Thanks for the info mate

I'm glad if it helped! To be honest I usually do not experiment with aftermarket (nonbrand) accessories but this one wasn't expensive and it is not perfect but works OK for now.
2020-9-10
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

didn't read exactly every post but is there a solution?  maybe 3 hubs running at the same time?  will certainly charge 3 batteries at the same time.  
2020-9-10
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

virtual Posted at 9-10 13:00
I'm glad if it helped! To be honest I usually do not experiment with aftermarket (nonbrand) accessories but this one wasn't expensive and it is not perfect but works OK for now.

Thanks mate - appreciate it
2020-9-10
Use props
tomekyo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3226991 ft
Netherlands

I am wondering why DJI "blesses" us with those crippled chargers? It is very easy to produce one, which will charge all the batteries simultaneously with no danger to the batteries at reasonable cost. So DJI - what is the deal? WHy don't you do it?
2020-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules