birds of pray
4959 28 2020-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gmicko
New

United States

I have been thinking about collision deterence with birds. Perhaps very light electrical components could ad a ultra flash strobe to deter eagle stikes, when threatened. Thier eyes are sensitive, and I know you yourself would not stare into a camera flash ! I dunno but , im thinking it can work. Not cool if you get attacked by a redtail hawk ,and loose a 1000 dollar drone. Just n Idea have at it.

2020-8-23
Use props
gmicko
New

United States

plus if there is reserve power you could at least find whats left, if it didnt work.
2020-8-23
Use props
amir_KING
Second Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Nice thinking
2020-9-17
Use props
Nick.G
lvl.3
Flight distance : 153219 ft
Russia

There are always risks, especially if you fly near the sea, as in my case. Once I had to fly away in sport mode from a curious seagull. The surrounding people perceived this situation as funny, but I was not in the mood for fun. Although now I remember this with a smile and always look at the sky before flying.)
2020-9-18
Use props
George210477
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

When the birds approaches, fly rocket high in Sport mode, than when you are above just go up-down to make a lot of noise.
1. No bird can go high directly, so you will climb faster.
2. The drone will be seen from below, giving the impression that is bigger and a bird of pray...
3. There a very few cases when birds just attacked the drone....usually they fly around and approach more and more...so be careful about "signs".

Also there are very small Cree flash light, but I never use as it will destroy the night footage
2020-9-18
Use props
Martyzion
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1976608 ft
United States

I use an Ulanzi drone strobe on my Spark and it seems to deter the crows
2020-9-18
Use props
amir_KING
Second Officer
United States

Nick.G Posted at 9-18 04:12
There are always risks, especially if you fly near the sea, as in my case. Once I had to fly away in sport mode from a curious seagull. The surrounding people perceived this situation as funny, but I was not in the mood for fun. Although now I remember this with a smile and always look at the sky before flying.)

Had a similar experinece once, not fun.
2020-9-18
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I doubt strobes will deter larger birds - if they perceive your drone as a threat then it's coming down. The best solution is to fly up and away from them
2020-9-18
Use props
Nick.G
lvl.3
Russia

amir_KING Posted at 9-18 08:48
Had a similar experinece once, not fun.

After that situation, I was eager to photograph birds in flight from a drone, I think how to do it safely)
2020-9-19
Use props
Nick.G
lvl.3
Russia

A J Posted at 9-18 22:20
I doubt strobes will deter larger birds - if they perceive your drone as a threat then it's coming down. The best solution is to fly up and away from them

I wonder why DJI doesn't think about it, why not attach ultrasound to the drone that would scare away birds.. I often watch crashes with drones on YouTube and there are many where birds are to blame
2020-9-19
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nick.G Posted at 9-19 05:28
I wonder why DJI doesn't think about it, why not attach ultrasound to the drone that would scare away birds.. I often watch crashes with drones on YouTube and there are many where birds are to blame

It would never pass regulations. Can you imagine the public outcry if it were discovered that consumer drones were fitted with devices designed to scare away animals... They would be banned - period.
2020-9-19
Use props
Nick.G
lvl.3
Russia

A J Posted at 9-19 05:47
It would never pass regulations. Can you imagine the public outcry if it were discovered that consumer drones were fitted with devices designed to scare away animals... They would be banned - period.

In my country it is not prohibited!
2020-9-19
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nick.G Posted at 9-19 05:54
In my country it is not prohibited!

DJI's products are universal so they won't fit devices that will make them illegal in their main markets like the US and Western Europe. Can you imagine if Americans found out that DJI drones were designed to scare the bald eagle - the symbol of their country! I doubt it will ever happen and I'll NEVER buy one if it does.
2020-9-19
Use props
Nick.G
lvl.3
Russia

A J Posted at 9-19 05:57
DJI's products are universal so they won't fit devices that will make them illegal in their main markets like the US and Western Europe. Can you imagine if Americans found out that DJI drones were designed to scare the bald eagle - the symbol of their country! I doubt it will ever happen and I'll NEVER buy one if it does.

If DJI products are universal, then why are the frequencies in the USA different and the flight range longer than in Europe and Asia? With the same success, they could implement ultrasound support in those regions where it is not prohibited! I'm not in favor of harming the birds in this way. But if there is a choice to scare the bird away or crash the drone, I will scare the bird away. I paid money for this drone, I have a flight permit, everything is legal, so I have every right!
2020-9-19
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nick.G Posted at 9-19 06:44
If DJI products are universal, then why are the frequencies in the USA different and the flight range longer than in Europe and Asia? With the same success, they could implement ultrasound support in those regions where it is not prohibited! I'm not in favor of harming the birds in this way. But if there is a choice to scare the bird away or crash the drone, I will scare the bird away. I paid money for this drone, I have a flight permit, everything is legal, so I have every right!

That is not a product specific creation by DJI but due to the compliant bandwidth of the region. People can hack their phone in Europe to FCC - nothing to do with DJI.

You have no right to harm, scare or potentially injure any animal with your drone and if you think DJI will add some type of device to enable that then you are frankly deluded. Get it in your skull pal - IT WILL NOT HAPPEN! End of conversation!
2020-9-19
Use props
Nick.G
lvl.3
Russia

A J Posted at 9-19 14:17
That is not a product specific creation by DJI but due to the compliant bandwidth of the region. People can hack their phone in Europe to FCC - nothing to do with DJI.

You have no right to harm, scare or potentially injure any animal with your drone and if you think DJI will add some type of device to enable that then you are frankly deluded. Get it in your skull pal - IT WILL NOT HAPPEN! End of conversation!

You don't quite understand me, I'm not going to harm the birds. But the very idea of ​​ultrasonic protection of the drone from birds is not so bad. Imagine a situation where you launch a drone, get into position and take a picture, at this moment your drone is attacked by a curious seagull, as a result of which it falls. An unpleasant situation, until you get into this, you will zealously defend your point of view. I think for the future and I don't see anything wrong with the fact that ultrasonic protection against birds appears in DJI products, especially since it will not harm birds, it will just scare them away.
2020-9-20
Use props
Nick.G
lvl.3
Russia

Maybe such a function will not appear in DJI drones in the near future, but there may be craftsmen who launch such a product so that it can be attached to a drone.
2020-9-20
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nick.G Posted at 9-20 00:37
You don't quite understand me, I'm not going to harm the birds. But the very idea of ​​ultrasonic protection of the drone from birds is not so bad. Imagine a situation where you launch a drone, get into position and take a picture, at this moment your drone is attacked by a curious seagull, as a result of which it falls. An unpleasant situation, until you get into this, you will zealously defend your point of view. I think for the future and I don't see anything wrong with the fact that ultrasonic protection against birds appears in DJI products, especially since it will not harm birds, it will just scare them away.

We'll agree to disagree
2020-9-20
Use props
Nick.G
lvl.3
Russia

A J Posted at 9-20 00:48
We'll agree to disagree

How many people, so many opinions. All the same, each of us will remain unconvinced. I suggest closing the dispute and just taking awesome photos with your drone
2020-9-20
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nick.G Posted at 9-20 00:52
How many people, so many opinions. All the same, each of us will remain unconvinced. I suggest closing the dispute and just taking awesome photos with your drone

Indeed
2020-9-20
Use props
mark117h
lvl.4
Flight distance : 241306 ft
United Kingdom

How's about instead of an ultrasonic device, that say they implemented a sound from a speaker, i don't know what kind of sound but maybe something like a loud dog bark, at least that way no animals will be harmed from the device and it is a win/win for us drone pilots who might have encounters with some large predatory birds.

It could be possible to add a button to the DJI Fly App that maybe activates Bird Deterrent Mode (BDM), how many people would use this, i don't know ?, could be worth making a poll up to see what peoples thoughts on the idea may be.
2020-9-21
Use props
amir_KING
Second Officer
United States

mark117h Posted at 9-21 08:46
How's about instead of an ultrasonic device, that say they implemented a sound from a speaker, i don't know what kind of sound but maybe something like a loud dog bark, at least that way no animals will be harmed from the device and it is a win/win for us drone pilots who might have encounters with some large predatory birds.

It could be possible to add a button to the DJI Fly App that maybe activates Bird Deterrent Mode (BDM), how many people would use this, i don't know ?, could be worth making a poll up to see what peoples thoughts on the idea may be.

I dont think it will happen.. just doesnt really fit and could end up in stricter rules, i think id rater have them work on the actual drone.
2020-9-21
Use props
mark117h
lvl.4
United Kingdom

amir_KING Posted at 9-21 08:50
I dont think it will happen.. just doesnt really fit and could end up in stricter rules, i think id rater have them work on the actual drone.

Maybe, who knows, personally i don't think either will happen, but don't you think that it would be interesting to see what peoples thoughts on this could be, like i said and others have stated, an ultrasonic device is damaging to animals, however a little in built speaker with a nasty loud dog bark is not too much of a stretch to potentially pull off, last time i checked a speaker will not do damage like some ultrasonic devices can and do do to animals.

Like you say though, there is maybe other more important issues that need sorting out first.
2020-9-21
Use props
Nick.G
lvl.3
Russia

mark117h Posted at 9-21 09:06
Maybe, who knows, personally i don't think either will happen, but don't you think that it would be interesting to see what peoples thoughts on this could be, like i said and others have stated, an ultrasonic device is damaging to animals, however a little in built speaker with a nasty loud dog bark is not too much of a stretch to potentially pull off, last time i checked a speaker will not do damage like some ultrasonic devices can and do do to animals.

Like you say though, there is maybe other more important issues that need sorting out first.

A barking drone in the sky is at least strange, but if this will cause less harm to birds and it will be effective, then why not?
2020-9-22
Use props
Nick.G
lvl.3
Russia

By the way, it's true, why shouldn't DJI introduce support with animal sounds for some money, it would be at least funny)
2020-9-22
Use props
mark117h
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Nick.G Posted at 9-22 00:16
A barking drone in the sky is at least strange, but if this will cause less harm to birds and it will be effective, then why not?

Hi Nick.G
I agree that it would be strange, but it wouldn't be too bad in the sense that at least you can activate it when and as needed, i wouldn't want it to be barking on constantly, just, like it could be more of a deterrent if a bird got a little too frisky lol, at least then we would have some means as to scare the bird off rather than the birds getting harmed from it.

You could pull off some crazy pranks though with your mates lol.
2020-9-22
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Would have been cool to scare this off
2020-10-17
Use props
djiuser_oklv14dWD3x4
New

United States

Use this coupon to get 10$ off referral.dji.com/events/dji-referral/referrers/2a12d7f3-d3d8-44a7-9069-431227570514/share
2020-11-25
Use props
Lariliss
lvl.1

Ukraine

Hello,
This question might be appropriate here as well.
Is there a sense to test in extra height. The drone can be placed in a micro rocket (e. g. Skylark Micro), bringing it up to 25 km high.
And if there is a way to get photos from there?
2021-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules