Mavic Air distance limit
471 6 2020-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Central Maine Drones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1046680 ft
United States

I own a P3P and P4P.  I talked a friend into getting a drone, he picked up a Mavic Air.
He's tried flying his machine from his place to mine (just down the road from him) but can't go more than 4200 feet before loosing signal.
It doesn't matter how high he flies, 4200 feet and signal drops.
He has tried the antena reflectors but no change.
He's taken the controlller out of auto mode into manual in attempt to find best frequency, still hits 4200 foot wall.  

I've googled the problem, only thing I found was manually selecting frequency.

Any suggestion?

2020-8-25
Use props
Maple2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912185 ft
Canada

Its possible that he is in a high interference area (the mavic air has a different signal system than your phantom) but even then that doesn't seem very far. Some people complain about the signal strength of the mavic air but I have never had a problem and I have seen people on YouTube get over 5 km easily with the mavic air. Is it possible that he is in beginner mode? Sorry I haven't been more help and hopefully your friend gets his MA worked out
2020-8-25
Use props
Central Maine Drones
lvl.2
United States

Could be high interference.  There are power lines that come from a wind farm 1/2 mile from his place.  I don't know what directions he's tried flying.  I know he has flown towards the power lines.  I'll have to ask him if he's taken the equipment to a different place to fly and experienced same limit.
2020-8-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Central Maine Drones Posted at 8-25 16:44
Could be high interference.  There are power lines that come from a wind farm 1/2 mile from his place.  I don't know what directions he's tried flying.  I know he has flown towards the power lines.  I'll have to ask him if he's taken the equipment to a different place to fly and experienced same limit.

Power lines will not be the problem, it is a myth that power lines cause a lot of interference. The most likely cause is always overlooked, local WiFi routers, either in homes or worse still, schools, offfice blocks and industrial estates.
2020-8-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Central Maine Drones.  I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Regarding your concern have you try to fly to a different location/area with less interference for us to isolate the said issue. May we also know the model of the mobile device you are using please? In addition, I will post an official DJI tutorial video on DJI Remote Controller Antenna Best Practices. Thank you.

2020-8-25
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

.............sorry, wrong forum
2020-8-25
Use props
Central Maine Drones
lvl.2
United States

We're in very rural Maine.  Picture shows where friend takes off, nearest home that has WiFi is 2000+ feet West Northwest, next nearest is my place 3500 feet South.  He tends to fly East.
2020-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules