Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shikijo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3323150 ft
  • >>>
France

Hi everyone,

I'm an huge fan of DJI, using DJI drone since... DJI 450 I guess, using DJI Mavic Pro and Inspire for my job all the time. Recently I use the DJI FPV system and, I need to said, the digital by DJI is a solid and really perfect product. They totally killed the game with that and I think all the product you are release guys, just killing the game : Drone, Ronin, FPV, etc...
But recently, I've (like everybody) seen the Red Bull x DJI video with Johnny FPV, yes this video :
After seen this video I was like : wow what kind of camera can be so good for shot on low light situation with so perfect stab (yes you know, it's Johnny so no need to stab), specially with chasing stuff and you need several pitch compensation on the camera, with decent stab for that to got something with fix horizon lock. Anyway, I've seen after that the behind the scene and bla bla marketing stuff, they use : DJI Osmo Action ! (link here : )
Oh, the DJI Osmo Action got this quality, interesting stuff, maybe this action cam is under estimated about his real capacity. So why not, got buy one, and try it....
And now... OMG, ah ah, please guys, really ? Just really ?
Got some test :
4K60fps, Rocksteaddy on,dewarp off, shutter 1/240, ND8
4K60fps, Rocksteaddy on,dewarp off, shutter auto, ND8
4K60fps, Rocksteaddy on,dewarp on, shutter 1/240, ND8
4K60fps, Rocksteaddy on,dewarp on shutter auto, ND8
4K25fps, Rocksteaddy on,dewarp on, shutter auto, no ND filter
4K50fps, Rocksteaddy on,dewarp on, shutter 1/100, no ND filter

On FPV quad, a decent FPV quad, the same for all shot.
And I compare to my traditional GoPro Hero 6, I use it all the time for cinematic stuff, on the exact same drone and same mount, with this configuration :
4k30fps, 4:3, without stab, shutter 1/120, ND16

There is a link with all raw video, nothing has been do on these video, just watch it and told me guys, what happen here ?
Link : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpNDSWo0IJrMSh21FDm_Ri4p6bkLBPYUU

Why you doing some promotional stuff for FPV, for an action cam, pretty decent camera with an great image quality, but something we cannot exploit on professional use ? Also, why you doing some rocksteady ..., with a big problem on your rolling shutter stabilization, specially on FPV, and you doing a "amazing" video for promo with Red Bull, and finally, we got the proof here, this video was NEVER shot with the osmo, it's not possible.

If someone here can anwser me ? Dont worry, I will prepare an decent video youtube to speak about that, with my youtuber friend gang from EU FPV scene .

2020-8-25
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-8-25
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for sharing
2020-8-25
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

Rocksteady (and GoPro's Hypersmooth for that matter) rely on really high shutter speeds to function, so they cannot be used with forced, low shutter speeds like the ones required by the 180 degree rule. This has been discussed multiple times here before, and unfortunately there is no solution. The bottom line is, you cannot get a "cinematic" stabilized video out of them even on land.

When it comes to the high frequency vibration (jello/rolling shutter); the rumour is that DJI is coming with their own FPV drone. There is a chance it might have a special dampened housing for the Action that might make it possible to get proper shots without this issue.

Honestly, I see absolutely no reason for DJI to promote Osmo Action at this point in time. The aforementioned video, I believe, is just a teaser for their upcoming FPV drone...
2020-8-25
Use props
Shikijo
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

CemAygun Posted at 8-25 22:33
Rocksteady (and GoPro's Hypersmooth for that matter) rely on really high shutter speeds to function, so they cannot be used with forced, low shutter speeds like the ones required by the 180 degree rule. This has been discussed multiple times here before, and unfortunately there is no solution. The bottom line is, you cannot get a "cinematic" stabilized video out of them even on land.

When it comes to the high frequency vibration (jello/rolling shutter); the rumour is that DJI is coming with their own FPV drone. There is a chance it might have a special dampened housing for the Action that might make it possible to get proper shots.
Please mate, do not treat me like a noob or stupid guy.
1/240 shutter is not an really low shutter speed and, I've got same result with auto shutter speed, so really really high shutter speed.
I don't think the shot has been made with an DJI FPV drone, I hope it's with an new Osmo or an decent update of the Osmo Action, but in fact this promotional shot is a lie, and it's really really bad vision from DJI here.

The problem is not about the shutter speed but more about the rollin shutter of the Osmo Action, with rocksteady for an FPV usage. I think it's can be updated with FW.
2020-8-25
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

Shikijo Posted at 8-25 22:36
Please mate, do not treat me like a noob or stupid guy.
1/240 shutter is not an really low shutter speed and, I've got same result with auto shutter speed, so really really high shutter speed.
I don't think the shot has been made with an DJI FPV drone, I hope it's with an new Osmo or an decent update of the Osmo Action, but in fact this promotional shot is a lie, and it's really really bad vision from DJI here.

I meant no disrespect. I apologize if it came across that way

The shutter speeds required for the "magical" stabilization to work properly have been an issue for the professionals for quite some time. You can find multiple threads in this forum addressing the problem.

I honestly don't have a clue what DJI is doing now. It looks like there will be a new osmo mobile coming out . And there are patents filed for a Osmo Pocket / Osmo Action hybrid.

But many people believe there will be an FPV unit coming out soon.

I think we will have to wait and see

PS: Personally I am more upset about the "4K, Dewrap and Rocsteady on" video being actually close to 2.7K resolution than a marketing video being faked in some ways

2020-8-25
Use props
Shikijo
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

CemAygun Posted at 8-25 22:48
I meant no disrespect. I apologize if it came across that way

The shutter speeds required for the "magical" stabilization to work properly have been an issue for the professionals for quite some time. You can find multiple threads in this forum addressing the problem.

Yes I've seen all the threads about that here, but not before buy the OA.
Admit it, it's crazy if DJI promote a product, with the result from an other product. It's like they do the promotional content for the launch of the Mavic Air 2 with an Inspire 2 and said : look at the Mavic Air 2,  perfect image quality in 4k etc... Or more, they shot the content with... An Parrot ah ah.

It's not the habit from DJI to make this kind of stuff, I dont understand why. Also, yes there is a lot of rumor, but doing promotional video for a product, just to sell the stock because they got a lot on these hand, it's not fair.
2020-8-25
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Philippines

Shikijo Posted at 8-25 22:57
Yes I've seen all the threads about that here, but not before buy the OA.
Admit it, it's crazy if DJI promote a product, with the result from an other product. It's like they do the promotional content for the launch of the Mavic Air 2 with an Inspire 2 and said : look at the Mavic Air 2,  perfect image quality in 4k etc... Or more, they shot the content with... An Parrot ah ah.

Everything is very weird with this video. For one thing they never specify the product. Especially in the "behind the scenes" part they always refer to it/them as "DJI FPV equipment". A very broad and vague term. You cannot tell what they are advertising.

Since they show the camera mounted on an assumably unbranded FPV drone in "behind the scenes" , I imagine they are trying to promote the digital goggles and squeeze a couple of OA sales in between...

Osmo Mobile 4 was anounced today by the way...
2020-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules