Smartphone question
1038 8 2020-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
johnvoss
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8320997 ft
United States

Just bought a Mini without doing due diligence first. My phone is not compatible with DJI Fly. I have a cheap prepaid plan with verizon and the cheapest phone compatible with both my plan and DJIFly is $800. My question is can I just buy the cheapest phone I can find that is compatible with DJI Fly and not use it as a phone and not connect it to Verizon and just use it to control the mini.

Thanks, John

2020-8-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If it's compatible with the app, you don't need any cell service at all.
2020-8-26
Use props
johnvoss
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-26 05:45
If it's compatible with the app, you don't need any cell service at all.

Thanks. That' good news. Are there any suggestions for a reasonably priced phone that has decent screen visibility outdoors?
2020-8-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

johnvoss Posted at 8-26 05:50
Thanks. That' good news. Are there any suggestions for a reasonably priced phone that has decent screen visibility outdoors?

No screen displays well in sunlight, unless you pay for a Crystalsky or similar.
A shady tree or wall etc will make any screen display well.
2020-8-26
Use props
johnvoss
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-26 06:52
No screen displays well in sunlight, unless you pay for a Crystalsky or similar.
A shady tree or wall etc will make any screen display well.

Thanks again.
2020-8-26
Use props
johnvoss
lvl.4
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-26 08:58
You will need network access at least once to register & activate the Mini.  This can be with the device connected to the internet via WiFi.  You will probably want to update the firmware & app to the latest version at that time as well.  Once activated you no longer require an active connection except to unlock Authorization Zones.

Gotcha, thanks
2020-8-26
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

With so many people out there who "need" to update to whatever the latest and greatest phone is, finding hand me down phones is not that hard.  However with that said, Last year I bought a Motorola g(7) power - which is not on the official DJI list (last I looked), but is working fine with my Mini.  I'm sort of keeping my eye out for a tablet that someone is making available after they feel they need to upgrade - but it's a low priority for me.  The g(7) does pretty much everything I need it to, and I always have it with me.
2020-8-26
Use props
johnvoss
lvl.4
United States

K6CCC Posted at 8-26 09:56
With so many people out there who "need" to update to whatever the latest and greatest phone is, finding hand me down phones is not that hard.  However with that said, Last year I bought a Motorola g(7) power - which is not on the official DJI list (last I looked), but is working fine with my Mini.  I'm sort of keeping my eye out for a tablet that someone is making available after they feel they need to upgrade - but it's a low priority for me.  The g(7) does pretty much everything I need it to, and I always have it with me.

Well I went ahead and ordered a "renewed" (whatever that means) Samsung Galaxy S9 from Amazon. It is on DJI's approved list so I hope it will work for me.
2020-8-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there John. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. DJI recommends for you to use a recommended mobile device for compatibility and reliability purposes. I will post the list of recommended mobile devices for the DJI Mavic Mini. In addition, you will be needing an internet connection when updating your DJI Fly application. It is suggested to put your mobile device on airplane mode while flying it would lessen the interference like receiving calls and text messages while on flight. But is not necessary to put your device in airplane mode but please make sure there is no such calls/text message or any notification that will interrupt you when using your device while flying your DJI Drone. Thank you and have a safe flight always.

2020-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules