Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
swollen battery
5273 33 2020-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 363661 ft
United States

Hi all,

The last several times I've used my mavic it's felt like the battery wanted to pop out. Pressing the battery release buttons on the side just a little bit would cause the battery to pop out. Today it seemed even more noticable, with the battery visibly pushing out against the mavic to the point where it didn't quite sit flush anymore.

When i popped the battery out, i could see that the underside of the battery was swollen a bit. The battery felt warm, but definitely not hot. It was perfectly comfortable to hold.

Is this a sign of a failing battery? or is it just due to the really hot weather we've been having? It was in the high 80's today when i flew.

I'll attach a photo to try and show what it looks like.
20200826_171658.jpg

2020-8-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing these information with us. Battery swelling / bloating is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. The lifespan and condition of the battery will depend on the totality of how it was used and stored. In addition, every electronic product and batteries has a certain warranty period and lifespan. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. Thank you.
2020-8-26
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep,  I agree - don't use this battery.
2020-8-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Def do not use!
2020-8-27
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

So I bought 4 batteries for this drone when i first got it. And ALL 4 of them are swelling. In fact one of the other 3 batteries I used today and when i landed the drone, the plastic casing of the battery started to split. If i said I flew my drone once a week, that would be an over-estimate. This does not seem like a very good battery if they are all basically useless at this point. That's $600 worth of batteries down the drain that last two years. If I did actually fly it once a week, that means each battery would have  been used about 26 times. Lets double that and say each battery was used 50 times. That doesn't really seem worth $150 to me.

Since the warranty for the battery is only 6 months, i think i am going to seriously look at getting another drone. A battery  that is essentially only good for 2 dozen or so flights is pretty crappy.
2020-8-27
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-27 18:04
Out of curiosity, what was the temperature when you were flying today?

My Mavic 2 Pro is two years old today.  None of my batteries show signs of swelling, but with the high number of users experiencing the issue, I have been reluctant to fly my M2P in the summer heat.  94° here today.

it was 89...but the mavic is rated to 104. I do have to make one correction though - i realized the charge cycle on each of the batteries is probably closer to 100 since even though I often only use one battery for a flight, i'll usually charge at least one extra, and sometimes all 4 of them. Even so - i think for the price we pay these batteries should last way longer then 100 charges. Since these batteries only have a 6 month warranty, i assume dji won't really do anything. In which case, i'll be buying a new non-dji drone and selling my mavic.
2020-8-27
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

2020-8-27
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 8-27 20:26
A lot of factors go into battery life.  How they are charged, used, & stored, humidity, etc..  Mavic 2 packs do appear to be experiencing an above average rate of swelling.   I would contact DJI with photos & screenshots & see what happens.

Yup, i did that. Sent them photos and a video of all the batteries. Waiting to hear back from them. I will be very pleasantly surprised if they offer to do anything since it's past the warranty period. Fingers crossed.
2020-8-28
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4 Posted at 8-27 15:05
So I bought 4 batteries for this drone when i first got it. And ALL 4 of them are swelling. In fact one of the other 3 batteries I used today and when i landed the drone, the plastic casing of the battery started to split. If i said I flew my drone once a week, that would be an over-estimate. This does not seem like a very good battery if they are all basically useless at this point. That's $600 worth of batteries down the drain that last two years. If I did actually fly it once a week, that means each battery would have  been used about 26 times. Lets double that and say each battery was used 50 times. That doesn't really seem worth $150 to me.

Since the warranty for the battery is only 6 months, i think i am going to seriously look at getting another drone. A battery  that is essentially only good for 2 dozen or so flights is pretty crappy.

you definitely  didnt  properly  follow the lipo battery rules. id suggest  you to read about how to use it properly  trying  to identify what you did wrong with your old batteries. Then follow the rules on your new one. Almost all batteries swelling  because of heat but there are other causes. I might assure you if you follow the rules carefully  you wont have such problem. I have 4 batteries, more than 60 cycles , bought when m2 was released,  and all are as new. I live in very hot country but i did never last it get hot enven if i need to land the drone. Plus i ve never stored full, recharged before it is cool etc. Try it.
2020-8-31
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

Francis Posted at 8-31 09:54
you definitely  didnt  properly  follow the lipo battery rules. id suggest  you to read about how to use it properly  trying  to identify what you did wrong with your old batteries. Then follow the rules on your new one. Almost all batteries swelling  because of heat but there are other causes. I might assure you if you follow the rules carefully  you wont have such problem. I have 4 batteries, more than 60 cycles , bought when m2 was released,  and all are as new. I live in very hot country but i did never last it get hot enven if i need to land the drone. Plus i ve never stored full, recharged before it is cool etc. Try it.

Exactly what rule(s) do you think I didn't follow?
2020-8-31
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

So just a quick update. I was feeling hopeful since the last email from DJI support asked for my mailing address. However, after sending them that info, they said they were 'creating a case' for their 'internal team' to review. That was 3 days ago and nothing since. So i'm starting to feel less hopeful. Not to mention this is keeping me in limbo right now since i don't know if i should go and replace the batteries....or more likely just replace the whole drone since if they don't offer to do anything I'm not going to use any more DJI drones.
2020-9-4
Use props
AEROKAMERA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2289429 ft
  • >>>
Poland

djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4 Posted at 9-4 15:41
So just a quick update. I was feeling hopeful since the last email from DJI support asked for my mailing address. However, after sending them that info, they said they were 'creating a case' for their 'internal team' to review. That was 3 days ago and nothing since. So i'm starting to feel less hopeful. Not to mention this is keeping me in limbo right now since i don't know if i should go and replace the batteries....or more likely just replace the whole drone since if they don't offer to do anything I'm not going to use any more DJI drones.

Be patient, I have got 4 new batteries last friday, after 16 days (12 working days) from first mail to DJI Support. 4 new batts.JPG
2020-9-5
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

AEROKAMERA Posted at 9-5 08:04
Be patient, I have got 4 new batteries last friday, after 16 days (12 working days) from first mail to DJI Support.[view_image]

Were your batteries still in the warranty period? I will update this thread if DJI contacts me and lets me know one way or the other what's happening.
2020-9-5
Use props
AEROKAMERA
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4 Posted at 9-5 11:25
Were your batteries still in the warranty period? I will update this thread if DJI contacts me and lets me know one way or the other what's happening.

No, all of my batteries were beyond the warranty time. They were manufactured in the second half of 2018.
2020-9-5
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

AEROKAMERA Posted at 9-5 11:32
No, all of my batteries were beyond the warranty time. They were manufactured in the second half of 2018.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if there was a bad batch of batteries around that time. Because I bought all 4 of my batteries around august 2018. I'm not sure when they were actually manufactured, i can't see a date on them.

On the plus side, feeling a little more optimistic again, i received another email from dji: "Please be informed that the case is currently being evaluated by our internal team. Once approved, we will then replace your swollen batteries."

Since they asked for the serial number from all of them, if there were a bad batch of batteries they'd be able to tell if these were in that batch.
2020-9-6
Use props
AEROKAMERA
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4 Posted at 9-6 14:00
Hmm, interesting. I wonder if there was a bad batch of batteries around that time. Because I bought all 4 of my batteries around august 2018. I'm not sure when they were actually manufactured, i can't see a date on them.

On the plus side, feeling a little more optimistic again, i received another email from dji: "Please be informed that the case is currently being evaluated by our internal team. Once approved, we will then replace your swollen batteries."

Look at the bottom of battery, on the sticker, below small QR-code or fire up your controller and a drone, touch battery icon on the top of the app or go to settings, aircraft battery, details
2020-9-6
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

AEROKAMERA Posted at 9-6 14:48
Look at the bottom of battery, on the sticker, below small QR-code or fire up your controller and a drone, touch battery icon on the top of the app or go to settings, aircraft battery, details

Is the manufacture date part of the serial number? Because other then the serial number, there's nothing below the QR code on my batteries. The closest thing I can see that looks like a date is a symbol that looks like a circle with an arrow through it with 'r32418' written below it. But that would mean the batter was made 5 months before the mavic 2 even went on sale.
2020-9-6
Use props
AEROKAMERA
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4 Posted at 9-6 15:21
Is the manufacture date part of the serial number? Because other then the serial number, there's nothing below the QR code on my batteries. The closest thing I can see that looks like a date is a symbol that looks like a circle with an arrow through it with 'r32418' written below it. But that would mean the batter was made 5 months before the mavic 2 even went on sale.

I wrote also: "...or fire up your controller and a drone, touch battery icon on the top of the app (or go to settings), aircraft battery, details. Try this ;)
2020-9-7
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

AEROKAMERA Posted at 9-7 21:30
I wrote also: "...or fire up your controller and a drone, touch battery icon on the top of the app (or go to settings), aircraft battery, details. Try this ;)

Yeah i saw that - just too lazy to bother doing it right now. My guess would be these batteries were made around the same time since i bought them in august 2018
2020-9-8
Use props
forager3215
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230951 ft
United States

I also Bought a MP2 at time of release back in Aug  2018 one battery swelled up badly on a flight and other 2 showing signs of swelling after use have since stopped using them.
2 of the batterries have Manufacturing date of 7-18 with each having 69 charges the other battery the one that swelled real bad in flight has Manufacturing date of 8-18 and 58 charges showing.
2020-9-8
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

forager3215 Posted at 9-8 19:57
I also Bought a MP2 at time of release back in Aug  2018 one battery swelled up badly on a flight and other 2 showing signs of swelling after use have since stopped using them.
2 of the batterries have Manufacturing date of 7-18 with each having 69 charges the other battery the one that swelled real bad in flight has Manufacturing date of 8-18 and 58 charges showing.

definitely sounds like dji had a bad batch of batteries. Some good news for me though, and maybe for you too - looks like DJI is going to replace my batteries.
2020-9-9
Use props
AEROKAMERA
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4 Posted at 9-9 09:19
definitely sounds like dji had a bad batch of batteries. Some good news for me though, and maybe for you too - looks like DJI is going to replace my batteries.
2020-9-9
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

So just for curiosity sake i checked the dates on the batteries. 3 of them were 2018-07 and one 2018-08, and all of them had about 40 charge cycles.
2020-9-9
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

so just to wrap this up - kudos to dji for doing the right thing. They sent me replacement batteries. Got them today and they all seem to be working ok so far.  Thanks DJI
2020-9-16
Use props
lonely droner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1032638 ft
United States

djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4 Posted at 2020-9-6 14:00
Hmm, interesting. I wonder if there was a bad batch of batteries around that time. Because I bought all 4 of my batteries around august 2018. I'm not sure when they were actually manufactured, i can't see a date on them.

On the plus side, feeling a little more optimistic again, i received another email from dji: "Please be informed that the case is currently being evaluated by our internal team. Once approved, we will then replace your swollen batteries."

I bought mine in June 2018 and 2 of mine are swelling and all 4 are cracked case split down the front.  Going to go fly a job today.  Drone has crashed twice in the past two flights.  I think it’s from the swelling batteries.  It goes up and then starts circling and then the circles get bigger and it is t in atti mode but it definitely acts like it before it circles enough to go absolutely sideways; exit stage left.  
2023-3-3
Use props
lonely droner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1032638 ft
United States

djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4 Posted at 2020-9-9 09:19

I think mine are a part of that batch.  It was when they were first came out.  I literally bought the first release May 20, 2018.  How do I get them replaced.  Where do I create a ticket?
2023-3-3
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

The behavior of your drone to me does not sound like something due to a bad battery. I would expect if the battery was failing, the drone would either just not take off, or it would be much slower. I also think the drone itself would warn you if the battery was performing poorly. I'm not saying your batteries aren't bad - if they are swelling/cracking, they are definitely bad and you shouldn't use them anymore. If i were you, i wouldn't fly your drone at all until at least the batteries are replaced - and i would probably take my drone in to get looked at since that weird flight behavior doesn't sound like it's related to the batteries.

Not sure if DJI will replace yours since it's 5 years later. Plus it depends on how many times you've charged them. You can email dji support and ask them.
2023-3-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

lonely droner Posted at 3-3 06:04
I bought mine in June 2018 and 2 of mine are swelling and all 4 are cracked case split down the front.  Going to go fly a job today.  Drone has crashed twice in the past two flights.  I think it’s from the swelling batteries.  It goes up and then starts circling and then the circles get bigger and it is t in atti mode but it definitely acts like it before it circles enough to go absolutely sideways; exit stage left.

Hi there, we are sorry to know about this issue. You can contact our support team through the link below for further assistance. http://www.dji.com/support
2023-3-3
Use props
cdstaley
lvl.1
United States

The advice from the moderator is crap. Sure those things make a difference but not as much as inferior batteries. Many many lithium batteries last for a long time under much harsher conditions. Think about the portable tools like deswalt and Milwaukee.. alt for years. The warranty them for a year and some when registered for life. DJI 6 months. His is the. Ingest scam ever perpetrated on consumer electronics buyers..
2023-10-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

cdstaley@gmail. Posted at 10-21 11:14
The advice from the moderator is crap. Sure those things make a difference but not as much as inferior batteries. Many many lithium batteries last for a long time under much harsher conditions. Think about the portable tools like deswalt and Milwaukee.. alt for years. The warranty them for a year and some when registered for life. DJI 6 months. His is the. Ingest scam ever perpetrated on consumer electronics buyers..

Hi there. We totally understand your concern. Please note that the warranty of the battery is 12 months from the date when your product is received. Please understand that every electronic product has a different kind of warranty service. If you experience any issues with your unit, feel free to contact us. We are more than happy to help. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-10-23
Use props
Gildo!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1735942 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Happened to me too unfortunately...
Three swollen bateries.
Warranty is long overdue off course.
I got a case with number CAS-14676995-X9Q7C5.

Can't send them in because of rule number 4:

‘4. Please do not send any damaged, swollen or leaking batteries to DJI for repair/replacement. If such batteries are sent, the customer will be held directly responsible for any accident occurring during shipment. If DJI receives a damaged or swollen battery it will not be sent back to the customer for danger of an accident occurring during transport.’

Number of counts of charging: only 84

Bought the drone in april 2019

What to do now?

2023-10-30
Use props
Gildo!
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-30 13:27
You're going to have to buy a new bird or bite the bullet & invest in new batteries for your Mavic 2 if you wish to continue flying her.  The batteries are 4.5 years old at this point.  I replaced all three of mine last year when they became available on the DJI website.  I recently noticed two of my original Mavic Pro batteries have started to swell.  Those batteries are 7+ years old at this point so they don't owe me anything.  I was on the in-stock notification for these & just received notice they are available so I have three of these on order now.  I am happy DJI is still producing these so we have the opportunity to stick with factory batteries as opposed to the hit-or-miss aftermarket knockoffs.

Thanks!

Got a reply from Dji today, they are going to look for further assistance.

You never know ;-)
2023-10-31
Use props
Gildo!
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks Dji!
3 new batteries, charging and flying!
2023-11-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Awesome. We are glad you finally got new batteries to continue flying. Don't hesitate to reach back if you need further assistance. Have a great day ahead.
2023-11-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules