573 6 2020-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just read an update on Hurricane Laura coming ashore right now in the upper Gulf coast of the USA with 150 MPH constant winds and gusts to 185, just as I am typing this. I have read online that many people in Texas and Louisana have refused to leave the area ahead of what NOAA describes as an "unsurvivable" storm surge. I guess a lot of people still refuse to believe anything in the news in my country. Darwin wins again. T&P for those folks ;-)

2020-8-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Not just a case of not believing the news, but refusing to leave because it is their 'right' to stay, not leaving for religious, ethnic or culture reasons. Alla-same dead people.....
2020-8-26
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes...it's their right to be dead and and I applaud that. But you, being in Australia, have no idea of which I talk. There are huge groups of people here who simple refuse to accept any scientific, medical or physical evidence. It is the Rennaisance in reverse.
2020-8-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there GaryDoug. Thank you for reaching out and for posting these information here at DJI Forum. Everyone, please stay safe always and thank you.
2020-8-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 8-26 21:53
Yes...it's their right to be dead and and I applaud that. But you, being in Australia, have no idea of which I talk. There are huge groups of people here who simple refuse to accept any scientific, medical or physical evidence. It is the Rennaisance in reverse.

Oh, we know about it alright, we are saturated with news about what goes on in the US of A, and as a result, probably know more about your country than many US citizens. I also know how damaging those East coast cyclones can be.
2020-8-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 8-26 21:53

It is the Renaissance in reverse.
That's brilliant ... I love it.
You've perfectly summed up the unfathomable way some things have been going over there.

Google Earth shows that the coastal plain there won't offer much resistance to a big storm surge.
https://www.wired.com/story/hurr ... ld-be-unsurvivable/

Shades of Galveston 1900 all over again
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane
Wasn't it a mighty storm?

2020-8-27
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-27 00:33
It is the Renaissance in reverse.
That's brilliant ... I love it.
You've perfectly summed up the unfathomable way some things have been going over there.

Shades of Galveston 1900 all over again
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1900_Galveston_hurricane
Wasn't it a mighty storm?

As far as the records show it had winds of over 140 mph. But the problem was that Galveston was a booming port town at the time and there was a lot of new construction on the waterfront. And nobody thought there would be a big storm like that to hit the area. To make matters worse, the storm took a weird track, first suggesting a big impact on Florida, but then swerving to the west unexpectedly. The residents had little or no warning since there was no easy way to forecast or monitor the storms at the time. The common estimate of death was about 8,000 victims, mostly due to drowning.
2020-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules