18307 23 2020-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
edith
lvl.3
Flight distance : 277733 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

I bought a new Mavic air 2 today, but the controller does not turn left or right in NORMAL mode. In SPORT and TRIPOD mode, it works well. The drone is new and it was the first fly. I have already calibrated the controller and it has gone right and updated everything but it still is the same. and nothing.
Calibrated:
IMU
COMPASS
CONTROLLER
Refresh the firmware in mavic and controller v01.00.0340
I would appreciate it if you could help!

2020-8-27
Use props
motia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14452 ft
United States

Check the APAS settings in the fly app to make sure the left/ right movement disable option is not checked.
2020-8-27
Use props
Pappy3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

The user manual doesn't have the new "Safety Assistance" (formerly APAS) feature. Here's some documentation I created for these types of questions.

"Obstacle Avoidance Action" will control allow/prohibit lateral left and right movement (roll).

Here's a quick reference card for the state the "Safety Assistance" is in.

2020-8-27
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

"does not turn left or right"

Isn't he/she talking about yaw and not roll?
2020-8-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi edith, please double-check if you have enabled "Disable Sideways Flight" in the Safety Settings, if so, the drone will not move left and right even it is controlled by the pilot in Flight Assistance mode, this is added since firmware 01.00.0340, please refer to Pappy3's detailed explanation at 4#. You can disable this option so you can control left and right of the drone.
2020-8-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Pappy3 Posted at 8-27 18:33
The user manual doesn't have the new "Safety Assistance" (formerly APAS) feature. Here's some documentation I created for these types of questions.

"Obstacle Avoidance Action" will control allow/prohibit lateral left and right movement (roll).

Well done, Pappy3, clear and detailed explanation.
2020-8-27
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

What you want to see is the second icon...green aircraft icon with green circle around it.
2020-8-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pappy3 Posted at 8-27 18:33

Great info Pappy
2020-8-27
Use props
edith
lvl.3
Flight distance : 277733 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Thank you! But DJI should put it by default in a new Drone, 'Disable Sideways Flight OFF'
2020-8-28
Use props
Ranger One
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66296 ft
United States

This is a featured control limit of obstacle avoidance while filming. I turn it on once and awhile by accident but I use it a lot if I’m in close to things side to side and just want to focus on not hitting my subject. If you touch the symbol just above the return to home button on the phone screen on the left side you should be able to tap it till you get control back.  If not I just went to control settings and turn it off there.
2020-8-28
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
United States

Ranger One Posted at 8-28 18:13
This is a featured control limit of obstacle avoidance while filming. I turn it on once and awhile by accident but I use it a lot if I’m in close to things side to side and just want to focus on not hitting my subject. If you touch the symbol just above the return to home button on the phone screen on the left side you should be able to tap it till you get control back.  If not I just went to control settings and turn it off there.

How easy is it, though, to accidentally tap that icon and get into a mode you don't want to be in???
2020-8-28
Use props
Ranger One
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66296 ft
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 8-28 20:26
How easy is it, though, to accidentally tap that icon and get into a mode you don't want to be in???

True I agree fully.  most of the time when I want it to work I can't get it to turn on and then out of the blue on it come as I brush part of the sreen in the general area.....iPhone 10XS
2020-8-29
Use props
Rustic17
Second Officer
United States

Ranger One Posted at 8-29 12:28
True I agree fully.  most of the time when I want it to work I can't get it to turn on and then out of the blue on it come as I brush part of the sreen in the general area.....iPhone 10XS

Just happened to me today...bright sunshine and difficult to see the screen...was trying to cancel RTH.  I usually use the RTH/Pause button but thought I'd try the app icon.  I hit the Sideways icon first and tapped again and cancelled RTH.  Couldn't see I'd tapped the Sideways and then wondered why roll control was not working.
2020-8-29
Use props
djiuser_z9ybmXf6wcaa
New
Flight distance : 2316 ft

United States

Pappy3 Posted at 2020-8-27 18:33

Thanks for posting this Pappy3. Having just bought a used one, it was very helpful in figuring out why it wouldn’t roll right to left.
2021-5-20
Use props
djiuser_LQRU2f930FTa
New

Lebanon

Hi everyone, I am flying with DJI Air2s and I feel not happy because no flight planning application is developed for it
Any help
2021-8-15
Use props
Fly_Hazr_Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56588 ft
United States

Glad this is resolved, for you! Just a note for clarification in the future, It is confusing to read it did not "turn left or right", to some this could mean yaw left or right, which is different than roll left or right. "Yaw" is done with the Left stick in Config 2, as opposed to "Roll" with the right stick.  The safety assistance would have no affect on "Yaw" as opposed to "Roll".  It was a bit confusing when you used to word "turn", since you can "roll" left and right with out ever changing the heading of the aircraft.   
2021-8-16
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

I accidently did this to mine too. Tapped on the icon on the screen by accident and the drone didn't want to fo sideways anymore. I freaked out and thought my board or something had fried since a made a hard landing from 1m (read crashed )
Didn't know it was the safety feature and I was bummed for almost 2 days untill I went digging into the app settings and tried that feature. It was on in the settings so I turned it off and boy was I happy like a child getting candy
DJI support was no help. They wanted me to send the drone to them
2021-8-17
Use props
Alvara74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30364 ft
United Kingdom

You might have disabled sideways flight
2021-8-17
Use props
Alvara74
lvl.4
United Kingdom

doglaboi Posted at 8-17 01:00
I accidently did this to mine too. Tapped on the icon on the screen by accident and the drone didn't want to fo sideways anymore. I freaked out and thought my board or something had fried since a made a hard landing from 1m (read crashed )
Didn't know it was the safety feature and I was bummed for almost 2 days untill I went digging into the app settings and tried that feature. It was on in the settings so I turned it off and boy was I happy like a child getting candy
DJI support was no help. They wanted me to send the drone to them

Most of the time, you can fix almost everything (software related) yourself through settings
2021-8-17
Use props
Alvara74
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_LQRU2f930FTa Posted at 8-15 21:12
Hi everyone, I am flying with DJI Air2s and I feel not happy because no flight planning application is developed for it
Any help

You should go to the Air 2S section since that would be more help
2021-8-17
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

Alvara74 Posted at 8-17 02:14
Most of the time, you can fix almost everything (software related) yourself through settings

Exactly. Even fixed broken gimbals from my MA2 and from my MIni. And when I say broken I mean in pieces. Spent $25 on ribbon cable, $2 on Gorilla super glue, presto! As good or better than new
2021-8-17
Use props
Alvara74
lvl.4
United Kingdom

doglaboi Posted at 8-17 15:48
Exactly. Even fixed broken gimbals from my MA2 and from my MIni. And when I say broken I mean in pieces. Spent $25 on ribbon cable, $2 on Gorilla super glue, presto! As good or better than new

Wow, thats amazing...
2021-8-20
Use props
Xiarcher
lvl.2
United States

So i just did fat finger and disable. after loosing my mind I figured it out. As a newbee why does this work only in normal flight? I assume due to obstacle avoidance system? Thank you for all your folks help.
2022-6-25
Use props
djiuser_W1smglcp13Rj
New
Flight distance : 52546 ft
United States

Pappy3 Posted at 2020-8-27 18:33

This is a very HELPFUL answer especially the image that you included it solved my long time problem. Thank you Sir!
2022-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules