1335 16 2020-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Commonly practiced hand catch is a no brainer while the catcher is on land. However things are getting tricky on a boat, constantly swinging on water, anchored or not. This time my beloved Mavic 2 Pro decided to fight back clumsy attempt to grab her from below. No biggie, just a little ouch, but lesson learned ...

mamee_full.jpg
2020-8-27
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch!!!
2020-8-27
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Matthew Dobrski. I am sorry to know what happened to your hand and thank you for sharing your experience with us. Just a reminder that it is not recommended hand catching the DJI Mavic 2 Pro or any DJI drone for safety purposes. Please do not stop the drone by hand, it could be dangerous and please land the said drone and stop the motors by sticks, or use the auto landing function if possible. Again I am sorry and please stay safe always.
2020-8-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thats gotta hurt!
2020-8-28
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

thats gotta sting.  
2020-8-28
Use props
izotop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388763 ft

Slovenia

out of curiosity, you cut finger from side or bellow the props? from side some prop guard could help in this situations. at least for me, i gut cut on my nose, lol (don't ask).

and yes, grabbing is not good idea, since drone wants to fly away, motors spin to max and then you get worse cut possible. extend you hand, let drone see it, it will go up a bit and thren land on its own on it, cut power with sticks not fliipping (which again could angage motors spinning hard) and all that.
yes, on boat this makes things way more complicated, but probably best thing is to test it out before any serius recording work, imo-

2020-8-31
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

izotop Posted at 8-31 03:06
out of curiosity, you cut finger from side or bellow the props? from side some prop guard could help in this situations. at least for me, i gut cut on my nose, lol (don't ask).

and yes, grabbing is not good idea, since drone wants to fly away, motors spin to max and then you get worse cut possible. extend you hand, let drone see it, it will go up a bit and thren land on its own on it, cut power with sticks not fliipping (which again could angage motors spinning hard) and all that.

I appreciate your willingness to advice, but you get it partially wrong . Firstly, I practice drone hand catching on a boat routinely since 2014 Phantom 3 era, including Inspire 1 Pro with specific hardware modification to do just that. Secondly, to do it right the obstacle avoidance system must be disabled. Otherwise the drone will attempt to avoid either the boat's hull/cabin structure, you or your approaching hand. Finally, not every soldier is coming home unharmed, no matter how experienced ...
2020-8-31
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Glad you posted. I prefer landing on surfaces but do hand catch on occasion when it's the best option. I've never had an incident, so was becoming complacent about the danger. Hope your photo helps to remind people to be a little more careful. Hand catching is totally fine when you fully understand the risk. Thank you for helping us all to think a little before we put our hand in harms way.
2020-8-31
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

TrevorSK Posted at 8-31 13:21
Glad you posted. I prefer landing on surfaces but do hand catch on occasion when it's the best option. I've never had an incident, so was becoming complacent about the danger. Hope your photo helps to remind people to be a little more careful. Hand catching is totally fine when you fully understand the risk. Thank you for helping us all to think a little before we put our hand in harms way.

Thank you for helping us all to think a little before we put our hand in harms way.

And that was my goal ...
2020-8-31
Use props
Kentucky_Ranger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25617 ft
United States

2020-9-1
Use props
Kentucky_Ranger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25617 ft
United States

It was supposed to be a gif of the dog biting the dude, but it didn't work, LOL!
2020-9-1
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Can you say: Gloves?
As you said, not really an issue on land (I do it), but on a moving small boat, one glove might be the ticket (where's Michael Jackson when you need him?).
2020-9-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

K6CCC Posted at 9-4 13:11
Can you say: Gloves?
As you said, not really an issue on land (I do it), but on a moving small boat, one glove might be the ticket (where's Michael Jackson when you need him?).

Hmm, a glove seem as obvious safety precaution to many, but - in reality - it's a disadvantage. Firstly, operating the sticks with gloved hand is difficult enough to abandon such idea. Secondly, it will have to be a specific kind of a glove, thin enough to maintain good feel for touch and with rubbery, slip resistant layer on fingertips. These are available, yet I feel much more comfortable practicing the way of catching my Mavic on a boat without them. After all it's a matter of a reasonable risk assessment ...
2020-9-4
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Put the glove on just before hand landing.  I agree, flying with the glove would be somewhat limiting.  And it would not need to be a heavy glove.  I did that the first time I hand landed my Mini (OK smaller drone, so not as much damage).  Just before I did the first landing attempt, I let it hover a few feet up and put the right glove on.  Then really only needed the left hand to land and used the right hand for the catch.  After I had done it a couple times, I left the glove off - but I'm not landing on a boat..
2020-9-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

K6CCC Posted at 9-4 14:02
Put the glove on just before hand landing.  I agree, flying with the glove would be somewhat limiting.  And it would not need to be a heavy glove.  I did that the first time I hand landed my Mini (OK smaller drone, so not as much damage).  Just before I did the first landing attempt, I let it hover a few feet up and put the right glove on.  Then really only needed the left hand to land and used the right hand for the catch.  After I had done it a couple times, I left the glove off - but I'm not landing on a boat..

" ... but I'm not landing on a boat ... "

And that's the only problem in my case
2020-9-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ouch.
It happened to me once.
2020-9-13