Disable Sideways Flight
6476 8 2020-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I don't see me disabling sideways flight but here's a question.  Does  disabling sideways flight disable yaw, roll, or both??  Does it set a  GPS defined straight line for the drone to fly which would then not be affected by wind??  If so, would you be able to yaw and the MA2 would continue flying the GPS straight  line only with the nose/camera pointed sideways??? But you definitely  wouldn't be able to roll in this scenario because that would take the flight path away from the  straight line, right???  If it doesn't set a GPS straight line but defines a line based on heading, then are both yaw and roll inhibited???  Otherwise, assuming you have forward pitch (going forward), any movement of yaw or roll would move the drone sideways (away from the straight line defined by the original heading).  One final question, if you're in disabled sideways flight can you get back to normal using the RTH/Pause button???  Or is the menu or icon on the left of the app the only way???

2020-8-27
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

In the app, by the Disable Sideways Flight switch it says:   "When enabled moving the control stick will not make the aircraft fly left or right."   Which control stick...yaw or roll???  Left or right of what...the original heading or original flight path???
2020-8-27
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Rustic17 Posted at 8-27 23:04
In the app, by the Disable Sideways Flight switch it says:   "When enabled moving the control stick will not make the aircraft fly left or right."   Which control stick...yaw or roll???  Left or right of what...the original heading or original flight path???

... the right stick, if you move it to the left or right, no longer has any function. As simple as that...

2020-8-27
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In mode 2 it disables the left/right movement of the right stick referred to as the roll. The yaw - rotating the direction the nose of the AC is facing with the left stick is not disabled as forward/backward flight will still be maintained. The purpose of this feature is to prevent the drone flying left/right in relation to the nose of the AC where there is no obstacle avoidance detection in place on the drone.
2020-8-27
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

A J Posted at 8-27 23:56
In mode 2 it disables the left/right movement of the right stick referred to as the roll. The yaw - rotating the direction the nose of the AC is facing with the left stick is not disabled as forward/backward flight will still be maintained. The purpose of this feature is to prevent the drone flying left/right in relation to the nose of the AC where there is no obstacle avoidance detection in place on the drone.

Thanks, all...  So another question...when I push forward on the right controller (pitch), does it fly a straight line on the flight path/heading at initiation of the control or will the flight path be affected by wind and the drone drift laterally downwind but still maintain the initial heading???  And if it does fly a straight line is it using wind correction or does it fly a GPS defined line???
2020-8-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 8-28 10:01
Thanks, all...  So another question...when I push forward on the right controller (pitch), does it fly a straight line on the flight path/heading at initiation of the control or will the flight path be affected by wind and the drone drift laterally downwind but still maintain the initial heading???  And if it does fly a straight line is it using wind correction or does it fly a GPS defined line???

It flies in exactly the same way as if you disable flight assistance. The only difference is that if you push the right stick left/right the drone will not move in that direction when enabled. It is for manual flight only.
2020-8-28
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 8-28 10:01
Thanks, all...  So another question...when I push forward on the right controller (pitch), does it fly a straight line on the flight path/heading at initiation of the control or will the flight path be affected by wind and the drone drift laterally downwind but still maintain the initial heading???  And if it does fly a straight line is it using wind correction or does it fly a GPS defined line???

I believe the only time you get a GPS-assisted straight line in flight is when using waypoints, and I'm not sure the MA 2 has waypoints yet, or if it ever will. The Mavic Pro has the Tapfly intelligent flight mode that tells the AC to move in one direction, but I'm guessing that's compass-based and don't know if the AC tries to correct for wind as I've only used it a couple times -- does the MA 2 have Tapfly?.
2020-8-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ex Machina Posted at 8-28 11:13
I believe the only time you get a GPS-assisted straight line in flight is when using waypoints, and I'm not sure the MA 2 has waypoints yet, or if it ever will. The Mavic Pro has the Tapfly intelligent flight mode that tells the AC to move in one direction, but I'm guessing that's compass-based and don't know if the AC tries to correct for wind as I've only used it a couple times -- does the MA 2 have Tapfly?.

Flight Assistance is not an automated, intelligent flight mode like waypoints or tap fly. When enabled the drone flies in exactly the same way as it would ordinarily in manual flight. It just prevents the drone from being rolled left/right through manual stick command. Pitch forward and the drone flies in the direction of the camera, pitch backwards and it flies in that direction, roll left or right and the drone does not move in either of those directions. Yaw the drone when pitching forward and it follows the nose of the AC in that line. Let go of the pitch stick and it hovers. Manual flight. It is not following GPS co-ordinates from A-B any more than when the function is disabled. In fact, you can't even enable it when using intelligent flight modes.

On a side note the MA2 does not have Tap Fly and only uses waypoints for hyperlapses.
2020-8-28
Use props
BC NightOwl
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

A J Posted at 2020-8-27 23:56

Sure i can move forward and back but can i spin (yaw) left and right? In other word...while flying straight back and forth can i aim the camera left and right.

Getting my mini 3 pro in a few days so I'll figure it out then. Would be nice if we can, a poor person workaround for lavk of waypoints in the mp3. Still hoping for that option in the m3
2022-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules