Controller disconnects after FW update
1717 7 2020-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_YbxLHsGQMVRw
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5692 ft
United States

I mostly fly in areas without network, so only this morning I updated to the latest FW (1.00.0670) on the M2P and controller. Immediately after update, the controller started beeping about a "stick error", but stopped when I tweaked the 5D-Stick (the one just left of the right thumb-stick). I admit I did not think to re-calibrate it, which I have now done, and no recurrence. But it's strange because this has never happened before and now it has twice immediately following a FW update.

But it gets worse.

I took the M2P out with a full battery, a full controller battery, and a full phone battery, to a location that I have flown from many times (my driveway). Took off and went straight up to about 95 meters. Suddenly the controller signal went from full-bars to fully disconnected and the drone started auto-descending. I was unable to restore connection until it came all the way back down and hovered 2 meters above the ground, and that took long enough I was afraid I was going to have to make a grab for the hovering drone. Thank goodness I had gone straight up and not headed out over trees.

I restarted everything and did it again, this time standing farther from the take-off location so I wouldn't be directly below the drone, and only went up 20 meters or so. Same thing. Sudden disconnection and auto-descent in place. About halfway down I was able to restore connection and land normally.

It looks like this latest firmware is from July? Has anyone else had trouble with this? I flew yesterday (prior to the FW update) on a pretty extended flight and had no issues whatsoever, so I feel like today's update and today's problems are correlated somehow, but I'm not seeing posts about it.

Happy to provide any logs or whatever, just not sure what I need.
2020-8-28
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

Hi,

try reinstalling the firmware using the DJI Assistent 2 for mavic on both controller and drone.

If you used the app to install the firmware it sometimes is inconsistent. Download DJI Assistent 2 from the DJI webside.

https://www.dji.com/be/downloads ... ant-dji-2-for-mavic

succes!
2020-8-28
Use props
RCVFD_Mark
lvl.2
United States

JohnDG Posted at 8-28 09:54
try reinstalling the firmware using the DJI Assistent 2 for mavic on both controller and drone.

Thanks, I will give that a try and let you know how testing goes.
(I'm the OP, I have no idea why my username is the old screwy one when I set it before posting)

2020-8-28
Use props
RCVFD_Mark
lvl.2
United States

Alas, reinstalling the firmware did not solve the problem. I now suspect the DJI Goggles. I have been unable to reproduce the problem when not wearing them, and at one point during today's testing I saw a message about "Eletromagnetic interference from DJI Goggles" or something similar flash on the screen in the midst of all the disconnection excitement.

Does this additional information mean anything to anyone?
2020-8-29
Use props
JohnDG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

RCVFD_Mark Posted at 8-29 11:15
Alas, reinstalling the firmware did not solve the problem. I now suspect the DJI Goggles. I have been unable to reproduce the problem when not wearing them, and at one point during today's testing I saw a message about "Eletromagnetic interference from DJI Goggles" or something similar flash on the screen in the midst of all the disconnection excitement.

Does this additional information mean anything to anyone?

Electromagnetic waves can influence the reception indeed. As the goggles should work with their drones, I would have expect they would isolate it from influence the controller.
Are you shure it are the goggles? Gsm can also influence the controller. When I was using the standard controller I always put it to airplane mode. Also in a urban area, where there is a lot of wifi, it can have some influence on the signal.
2020-8-30
Use props
Ricardo Ghion
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1042037 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I'm having the same problems !! did you manage to solve?
2020-9-2
Use props
RCVFD_Mark
lvl.2
United States

Ricardo Ghion Posted at 9-2 16:35
I'm having the same problems !! did you manage to solve?

I haven't had time to do further testing. I read some folks talking about a direct USB cable link from goggles to controller, which sounds awkward, but might work. Also airplane mode on the phone might help, I honestly don't remember if the phone was set for airplane mode or not. Probably not, since it wanted to update the drone firmware.
2020-9-5
Use props
Ricardo Ghion
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1042037 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

my drone after update, the frequency in 2.4 was horrible. loses the signal at 30 meters from both the radio and the image.

I still don't know why I believe in DJI.
2020-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules