Expectation of Privacy Laws
368 8 2020-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Swampgoat
lvl.1
United States

I'm new to drones and this is only my second post.  I own a MM and live in Florida.  I see from searching the forum that operators are sometimes accosted by citizens who appear anti-drone.  Most accounts report that after a explanation by the operator about how the drones work and how 'spying' is not the intent, the citizen is satisfied.
In addition to the Federal rules, Florida has its own statute against drone surveillence.  It basically says that you cannot view either people or their property with sufficient visual clarity with the intent to surveil.  

There is no way I want to spy on anyone.  But, if I were to fly my MM straight up from my backyard, I am bound to take in the other properties around me.  

I guess my general question to the drone community, especially if any are Florida residents, is this:  do you think it's better that to err on the side of caution and just not fly the drone around my house?  Or is it better to err on the side of reasonableness (after all, I can go out on my sidewalk and take photos of the entire street and the houses) and fly from my backyard around the nearby trees and lake?

Thanks

2020-8-28
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

My suggestion is talk to your neighbors, show them the drone and answer
any questions they may have. Everything starts with education, the more informed
your neighbor are less stress you have.
2020-8-28
Use props
Tentoes
First Officer
Flight distance : 6018255 ft
United States

A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1

Unfortunately, some won't let you give them a soft answer.
2020-8-28
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In the UK it is illegal to fly drones within 150m of built up or congested areas and 50m of any single buildings, people or vehicles not in your control. So I head to parks and hike through the countryside where it is safe. I've never had a run in with anyone or been fined in four years of flying 2,500 miles. More importantly, you need to ensure that the area is not in a NFZ i.e. that the flight is more than 5 miles from the centre of an airport. Placing manned aircraft at risk with a drone in the UK carries a custodial sentence of up to five years imprisonment... I suggest you check the FAA website and clarify the local laws where you intend to fly. So whether you take off from your back garden depends entirely on how congested the area is where you live and how close your next door neighbours property is to the drone. It also depends on the relationship you have with your neighbour of course.
2020-8-29
Use props
smirnoff9969
Second Officer
Flight distance : 582776 ft
Croatia

unfortunatlly I saw people throwing rocks and snowballs  at drone...what can you say - civilization is not for everybody...
2020-8-29
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

smirnoff9969 Posted at 8-29 03:53
unfortunatlly I saw people throwing rocks and snowballs  at drone...what can you say - civilization is not for everybody...

Ever seen one get shot at?
2020-8-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rear Admiral Grace Hopper once said "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission". Nuff said.
2020-8-30
Use props
Swampgoat
lvl.1
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 8-30 18:29
Rear Admiral Grace Hopper once said "It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission". Nuff said.

The bug she found had that very same thought in its head!

Thanks for your comment and I appreciate the message.
2020-8-31
Use props
Swampgoat
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for all the good advice and comments.  Fortunately, I get along with all of my neighbors.  Even so, as I have thought about this issue, I've decided to limit my flying in the area of my own home to maybe a single flight to inspect my tile roof.  Other than that, there's nothing that interesting to see.  Still, it's regrettable that drone laws are so strict that the recreational flyer's hands become tied.  Google can photograph my house, I can photograph my neighbor's home with a camera.  But I can't fly my drone in the back yard.  Again, thanks everyone for making some good points.
2020-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules