629 20 2020-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am aware that the file/video size limit is in effect for these drones and that if you exceed the limit, the recording routine closes the file and opens a new one to continue. I have read that there should be no loss of footage in that process. In some instances I have verified that is true. However in some recent recordings there was a significant loss of footage in the transition, perhaps as much as 30 seconds. Now I understand it may have been operator error in possibly tapping on the screen to stop and start recording, although I doubt that is what happened.

Now to get to the meat of this topic: I would like to suggest that the file naming convention be changed to indicate a continuation of the previous file, instead of just using the next number. In other words, if the original file is named DJI_0050.mp4, the next file that is a continuation not be named DJI_0051.mp4, but rather something like DJI_0050_1.mp4. That would allow the user to know that it was a continuation of a prior file.

As an aside, does anyone know how that footage loss could occur?

2020-8-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

There was a loss of frames back in the days of the Phantom 3, but that was fixed with the Phantom 4, and I assumed it was the same for all subsequent aircraft models?
2020-8-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 8-28 19:41
There was a loss of frames back in the days of the Phantom 3, but that was fixed with the Phantom 4, and I assumed it was the same for all subsequent aircraft models?

To me it appears to work some of the time, but not always. Of course I am using the DJI Fly app.
2020-8-28
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

I have never experienced any dropped frames or other gaps in any of my videos.
2020-8-28
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 8-28 19:48
I have never experienced any dropped frames or other gaps in any of my videos.

I should have mentioned that I fly in sport mode almost all the time. Maybe that has an effect?
2020-8-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 8-28 20:01
I should have mentioned that I fly in sport mode almost all the time. Maybe that has an effect?

Nope, should not have any effect. Perhaps format the SD card a bit more frequently.
2020-8-28
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

As a test I would try recording to the internal memory instead of the SD card. Capacity is obviously limited but it would let you rule out problems with the card itself, which is where I suspect the problem lies.
2020-8-29
Use props
Smashey1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173422 ft
Ireland

MisterFrag Posted at 8-29 05:49
As a test I would try recording to the internal memory instead of the SD card. Capacity is obviously limited but it would let you rule out problems with the card itself, which is where I suspect the problem lies.

+1 on this - just to rule out the external SD card
2020-8-29
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

To be clear I am not so much looking for a cure. I am suggesting a change in the file naming convention so we know if it a continuation of a prior file or not.
2020-8-29
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

The naming scheme you propose doesn’t fit the filename limits of the old FAT file system. The file names are limited to all uppercase and eight letters or numbers for the name plus three for the extension (file type).
2020-8-30
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Fine: D_0050_1.txt
2020-8-30
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 8-30 04:54
The naming scheme you propose doesn’t fit the filename limits of the old FAT file system. The file names are limited to all uppercase and eight letters or numbers for the name plus three for the extension (file type).

I really don't think there are too many of us trying to operate in DOS anymore.  That limitation has not been an issue in several decades.  Even Windows 95 did not have that limitation (except for compatibility with DOS users).
2020-8-31
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

Of course not. But the limitations and conventions are part of an industry standard that dates back to the days when 8.3 filenames were the norm. A company that does not follow the DCF standard risks compatibility issues.

https://www.howtogeek.com/204228 ... s-in-a-dcim-folder/
2020-8-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 8-31 14:53
Of course not. But the limitations and conventions are part of an industry standard that dates back to the days when 8.3 filenames were the norm. A company that does not follow the DCF standard risks compatibility issues.

https://www.howtogeek.com/204228/why-does-every-camera-put-photos-in-a-dcim-folder/

+1 not sure we want to mess with the standards at this point.

btw, why are we flying in sport mode all the time?  I find myself in sport mode under the most windy conditions or if I am doing a long distance flight like I want to get somewhere and back in a hurry.  otherwise, unless you fly at full throttle, doesn't really seem necessary unless it's a sensors thing.
2020-8-31
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

I do the vast majority of my flying in Cine mode on my Mini.  However a good portion of my flying is sitting in one place, and hardly moving at all.
2020-8-31
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-31 15:44
+1 not sure we want to mess with the standards at this point.

btw, why are we flying in sport mode all the time?  I find myself in sport mode under the most windy conditions or if I am doing a long distance flight like I want to get somewhere and back in a hurry.  otherwise, unless you fly at full throttle, doesn't really seem necessary unless it's a sensors thing.

Why not? I hate the travelog videos that crawl along at 2 mph. Who cares, they all look the same! I want some fast action and close up as possible. If they didn't want you flying these at 40 mph, it wouldn't be offered. You do your thing and I do mine.

Let's stay on topic at least. It's about letting us know when the file stands alone versus being continued from another one. What is wrong with more information?

2020-8-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 8-31 18:10
Why not? I hate the travelog videos that crawl along at 2 mph. Who cares, they all look the same! I want some fast action and close up as possible. If they didn't want you flying these at 40 mph, it wouldn't be offered. You do your thing and I do mine.

Let's stay on topic at least. It's about letting us know when the file stands alone versus being continued from another one. What is wrong with more information?

just asking because we all change the speed of our video in post; never thought you try to fly that way for the video shoot lol.  was curious if there was some other reason for speed but I guess not.

we've already answered about the files, there are lots of requests on splitting them for different time amts, renaming them, etc.  the best way to handle this is the look for computer software that will do this for you.  on the Mac, write your own macros.  you stick your microsdcard in the computer and it does exactly what you want it do and that's so much easier when you know the format from the expected input, right?  look at what happens when you make up your own standards, gopro.
2020-8-31
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 8-31 19:08
just asking because we all change the speed of our video in post; never thought you try to fly that way for the video shoot lol.  was curious if there was some other reason for speed but I guess not.

we've already answered about the files, there are lots of requests on splitting them for different time amts, renaming them, etc.  the best way to handle this is the look for computer software that will do this for you.  on the Mac, write your own macros.  you stick your microsdcard in the computer and it does exactly what you want it do and that's so much easier when you know the format from the expected input, right?  look at what happens when you make up your own standards, gopro.

I must not be describing this clearly. I want the system to somehow tell me if it is a video that has been continued from another one before. That is all. Now it just increments the filename number.
AS it is now, I cannot tell if I stopped the recording and started a new one or if the system continued it automatically.

2020-8-31
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
United States

Probably the best solution would be to not split the file at all, and that is compatible with all applicable standards. If the storage media is over 2GB in size the device has to support at least FAT32, and cards of 64GB or above need support for exFAT. Both those file systems can also handle files larger than 4GB.
2020-8-31
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 8-31 19:14
I must not be describing this clearly. I want the system to somehow tell me if it is a video that has been continued from another one before. That is all. Now it just increments the filename number.
AS it is now, I cannot tell if I stopped the recording and started a new one or if the system continued it automatically.

I think we understand the request.  you would like files to look like this:

if you shot 3 different videos (start/stop) and the 2nd video was extra long and continued:

MA2001001.mov
MA2002001.mov
MA2002002.mov
MA2002003.mov
MA2003001.mov
2020-9-1
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

That or any method that works would be an improvement.
2020-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules