Mavic Pro flys away after being repaired by DJI on its first flight
599 8 2020-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rmooney1
lvl.1

United States

I have been flying my Mavic pro for nearly 2 years. Have made flights all over the USA and Caribbean. All of a sudden my drone started having issues. I sent it in for a repair on May 4, 2020 to figure out what the issue was. The diagnostic came back that the rear motor arms had been damaged when I tried to auto land the drone and it crashed on a beach. I informed DJI that I just wanted to figure out the issue with the remote and that the motors were operating fine. They refused to diagnose the remote so I had them send it to my new address and confirmed that address with DJI. Unfortunately, DJI mailed it to another address in Arrzona instead of to my address in New Jersey. DJI responded that it was not their problem and I would need to figure out how to retrieve it from some unknown address. I was successful with the help of UPS and had it returned to my proper address.
When I opened the box I found out that DJI did not repackage the drone for shipping and just sort of threw it in the box. When I checked for damage I discovered that the gimbal had been damaged during the shipping back to me. I contacted DJI and they instructed me to send it back for repair, which I did. After getting the assessment back I was told the only damage was to the rear motor arms as before and that I would need to pay for the repair in order for them to fix the Gimbel they broke. I finally agreed to their extortion and after 3.5 months I finally received my drone back. I took it out for its first flight and it had trouble connecting to the app. As I was trying to reconnect the drone to the app it tookoff and flew out of sight without my touching the controls. Of course it cannot be retrieved because I do not know where it flew to, just a general direction before it disappeared. Hitting the return to home failed as I received a no rth code on the display. No controls on the remote worked whatsoever. A party of three searched the flight area for 2.5 hours looking for it but no sign whatsoever. Obviously, DJI did not repair the remote or the drone after I paid for it.
The question remains, what is DJI doing to repaired drones. Is this just a way to get people to replace their drones. I have never had an experience with a company go so completely horribly wrong in such a short amount of time. From lying about where they mailed the original return, to being extorted in order for them to repair the gimbel DJI damaged to then having the drone fly uncotrolled away on the first flight. What is happening over at DJI. I cannot image buying or recommending their products ever again.
How many others have had their drones fly away uncontrolled only to be told DJI is not responsible?
2020-8-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

What an ordeal reading your epic rant to try to find what your issue was.
Obviously, DJI did not repair the remote or the drone after I paid for it.
That's not obvious at all.
What is obvious is that you don't know what happened.
And without knowing what actually happened, it's hard to tell what the cause might have been.

How many others have had their drones fly away uncontrolled only to be told DJI is not responsible?

Despite what you imagine, drones don't just fly away uncontrolled.
The app records flight data so the cause of any incident can be investigated.
If you weren't connected, it's not possible to investigate.
2020-8-29
Use props
rmooney1
lvl.1

United States

Labroides Posted at 8-29 17:08
What an ordeal reading your epic rant to try to find what your issue was.
Obviously, DJI did not repair the remote or the drone after I paid for it.
That's not obvious at all.

I was trying to connect to the app at the time and did not have any hands on the controller when the drone flew away. It was going to be an initial test flight after receiving the drone back from repairs the second time. I will never know because the drone is lost forever, even the fail safe return to home button failed.
Epic Failure on the part of DJI equipment. Since I was not touching the remote and it was resting on a table it is very concerning that it would just fly away and when I grabbed the remote it would not control the drone at all.
2020-8-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

rmooney1 Posted at 8-29 17:16
I was trying to connect to the app at the time and did not have any hands on the controller when the drone flew away. It was going to be an initial test flight after receiving the drone back from repairs the second time. I will never know because the drone is lost forever, even the fail safe return to home button failed.
Epic Failure on the part of DJI equipment. Since I was not touching the remote and it was resting on a table it is very concerning that it would just fly away and when I grabbed the remote it would not control the drone at all.

Something's not right about your story.
That you don't know much about drones only makes it harder to understand what might have happened.
It's very hard to accept your assertion that it's all an epic faiure on DJI's part when we have no way to tell what the actual issue might have been.
It could just as easily have been an epic failure on your part.

2020-8-29
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

rmooney1 Posted at 8-29 17:16
I was trying to connect to the app at the time and did not have any hands on the controller when the drone flew away. It was going to be an initial test flight after receiving the drone back from repairs the second time. I will never know because the drone is lost forever, even the fail safe return to home button failed.
Epic Failure on the part of DJI equipment. Since I was not touching the remote and it was resting on a table it is very concerning that it would just fly away and when I grabbed the remote it would not control the drone at all.

It is certainly a scenario we've never heard before, I believe. Not about a presumably lousy DJI repair service, such rants we read regularly, true or not. But a drone taking off by itself from a table and running away without pilot's involvement?! I'm sorry, but I've found it hard to imagine. Murphy's law in full glory ?
2020-8-29
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the M2P and DJI RE goggles RMAed and they work perfectly.  It doesn't really mean that it may be like this for everyone though.  Just do it right and get a Mavic Air 2 and move on.  Personally, I don't like to fly unless I get paid to but if you do then just get it.
2020-8-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi rmooney1, I'm sorry for your loss, regarding your situation, kindly please send an email to support@dji.com and let me know the request number, I'll forward it to the related team for a check and keep improving. If there is anything else I can assist you with, please feel free to let me know.
2020-8-30
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 8-29 22:40
I had the M2P and DJI RE goggles RMAed and they work perfectly.  It doesn't really mean that it may be like this for everyone though.  Just do it right and get a Mavic Air 2 and move on.  Personally, I don't like to fly unless I get paid to but if you do then just get it.

"Personally, I don't like to fly unless I get paid to but if you do then just get it."

How is this confession related to OP will remain as yet another mystery in never-ending chain of absurdities you're posting on this forum ...
2020-8-30
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 8-30 09:30
"Personally, I don't like to fly unless I get paid to but if you do then just get it."

How is this confession related to OP will remain as yet another mystery in never-ending chain of absurdities you're posting on this forum ...

If $799 is a lot to fly for fun w/.
2020-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules