My honest DJI OM4 experience...
2190 7 2020-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flipOk
lvl.1

Russia

I just ordered the new DJI OM4 immediately after launch and got it about two days later. I wasn't immediately blown away by the appearance as it looked pretty much the same except for the change of color and the fact that it no longer has the clamp. The gimbal is more comfortable to hold, though, perhaps because it is lighter and because of the upgraded grip.

I got to the magnetic attachments and I really enjoyed playing around with them. I have two phones that I use for photography and taking videos so I simply attached the magnetic clamp to one and the phone ring to the other. They looked quite nice and didn't really add much bulk to the overall size of the phone. Attaching them to the gimbal is easy and it takes some effort to really remove them. I did some shaking of the gimbal with the phone attached and it didn't get removed, which is what many people were afraid of when they saw the magnetic design of the OM4.

The software itself did not change much, although many features have been upgraded. I was particualrly impressed with the ActiveTrack feature as it was able to track my dog running around the yard nicely. My kids also enjoyed playing around with the CloneMe panorama feature.

What I really liked, though, was the Dynamic Zoon feature. Like in the launch video, I was able to recreate the effect with ease. Having owned an Osmo Mobile 3 before, I can say that this effect is not that easy to do manually. I was pleasantly surprised that all you have to do is click the feature, select your subject, and start shooting. Standby mode is also amazing - just remove your phone and it's good to go as your phone is back to operating as one. Slap it back on the gimbal and you're ready to start shooting again.

I have experienced some slight shaking motor, perhaps because it is more powerful than previous versions, but I think that DJI has released an update for this so I'm gonna have to try that out later. There are also some features that can't be used together but that's quite understandable, and perhaps that can eventually be fixed in the next upgrades or even in the OM5 that you know is bound to arrive in a year or two.

Overall I am quite satisfied with my purchase, and I'm glad that many reviewers feel the same way. For haters, I suggest that you give it a try before you judge the product. I think that it's a pretty decent and convenient device that you will love if you give it a chance.

2020-8-31
Use props
nepetabloodp
lvl.1

United States

Wow! That's a really thorough review. I was wondering what phones you were using and did you have any lenses attached? I want to know how the "increased payload" actually affects the user. Thanks, you've made my decision whether to get the OM4 a little bit easier. A little more prodding and I'm sold!
2020-8-31
Use props
xThiefx
lvl.1

United States

nepetabloodp Posted at 8-31 17:07
Wow! That's a really thorough review. I was wondering what phones you were using and did you have any lenses attached? I want to know how the "increased payload" actually affects the user. Thanks, you've made my decision whether to get the OM4 a little bit easier. A little more prodding and I'm sold!

I have the Samsung Note 10 and a Meifigno case. That's around 210 grams right there. I use the clamp for that thing. My other phone is an iPhone XR without case. That one has the ring holder. The OM4 handles these two phones quite well and I don't need to balance that much since the position is already fixed once I've had the clamp and ring attached.
2020-8-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there flipOk. Thank you for creating this thread and for sharing your positive feedback for the DJI Osmo Mobile 4. Great review and thank you for supporting DJI.
2020-8-31
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But dynamic zoom is available on the OM3 too?
2020-9-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very detailed review
2020-9-1
Use props
djiuser_5itEUjYAhqKg
New

United States

I just received my OM4.  Tried to balance a few times and calibrated it 3 times. I cant manage to find that sweet spot to eliminate the motor jitters.  Any advice or help appreciated.  
2020-9-2
Use props
PeFri
lvl.1

Austria

djiuser_5itEUjYAhqKg Posted at 9-2 13:38
I just received my OM4.  Tried to balance a few times and calibrated it 3 times. I cant manage to find that sweet spot to eliminate the motor jitters.  Any advice or help appreciated.

Underslung mode? How to enter it correctly? I always end with photos and videos heading down!
2020-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules