Hello, I'm a new Air 2 pilot
442 10 2020-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

Hello,

I'm new here. As of today, I'm a happy new Air 2 owner and thought I'd introduce myself.

Exactly one week ago, the day started out so great. I took my trusty old Air (1) out to Fort Funston in San Francisco and was going to film some nice, low flying beach shots. I found a nice log to sit on about 30 feet from the water's edge, and sat down to set up. I got the RC set up, and put the Air down on the flat beach sand, and was ready to launch. When along came a rogue wave and soaked my Air! It did not recover, despite my best efforts to dry it, clean it, and then take it apart and reassemble. So the Air is now part of my growing museum of tech history, occupying a prized position next to my Apple Newton. I got many happy hours with it. Live and learn.

On to my brand, spanking new Air 2. Wow, this is quite an upgrade from the Air 1, and yet it seems so familiar. As an Air 2 newbie but an Air 1 old-timer, I thought I'd give my first impressions here for what it's worth. Things I noticed:
  • 4K 60fps. Wow. Yes. Need to get a new video codec but that's easy.
  • Fly vs Go 4. I'm still getting used to the differences, but so far I'm liking Fly. I especially like being able to drag the gimbal left/right as I'm flying.
  • Long battery life - really long battery life.
  • Thank you DJI for including some ND filters with the Fly more combo.
  • Can we talk about the bag? I love that both controller and drone now fit in the bag (unlike Air 1), but it doesn't really stay open well. Despite the Air 2 being bigger than the Air 1, when it's all packed up, the Air 2 takes less space in my backpack now. That's pretty cool.
  • It's so much quieter than the Air 1. I feel like I'm not annoying everyone around me now with my buzzy little bee.
  • I don't mind the larger controller. I like the integrated antenae and device on top instread of bottom.
  • When I launched, I got a notice of a nearby airplane - awesome. This is such a great feature. Wish I had that with the Air 1.
  • I experimented a bit with Active Track, and feel like I can trust it more than the older Active Track, but I still feel like I need to keep an eye on it to prevent crashes. That means I can't just have it follow me on an adventure and forget about it, unless I'm in a really super-safe space with no trees or people or anything.

Looking forward to exploring the greater range and other features over the coming weeks, and hello!
2020-8-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hello! And welcome to the forum, enjoy your new Air2.
2020-8-31
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello and welcome to the forum.
2020-8-31
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

I went from a Mini to the MA2 and was amazed....to the degree that I went wild pushing it's envelope. And almost reached it. I think it is almost infallable in comparison. Time will tell.
2020-8-31
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Welcome aboard.
l just got the Flymore Combo also, coming from 3 generations of the Phantom line.
l haven't flown it yet, just getting it registered, etc. But massive first impression compared to the P4 is portability! Everything's so tiny.
2020-8-31
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Dangerly. Welcome to DJI Forum and thank you for sharing these information with us. It is great to know that you are happy with your new DJI Mavic Air 2. If you have any inquiries or concerns with your DJI Mavic Air 2. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum we are all here to help and assist you. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can see some preflight checklist for you to be able to have a safe and wonderful fight experience ( https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y_Guidelines_eu.pdf ). Thank you and happy flying always.
2020-8-31
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Welcome to the forum - you chose an excellent drone
2020-8-31
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Welcome to the fan community ...     
2020-9-1
Use props
fanscc989da6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26260 ft
Germany

I can only join. For a while I sold my Mini, but soon after I heard about the Air 2 and when I saw the technical data, I was overcome with emotion and I knew I must own this aircraft! I did a first test flight which went perfectly fine. This time I won't fly indoor with this thing and without prop guards, so a tiny park nearby was a wonderful place to start.
Also I really find the bag handy because I can put it on so I have both hands free to handle the equipment without putting down stuff on the dirty floor. Can't wait to test more but for security reasons I carefully choose time and location for flying.

Ah, and not to forget: the advanced gimbal settings are the ultimate killer feature I was always waiting for - love it!!

2020-9-1
Use props
ririlan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 879154 ft
Canada

Hi Dangerly, I'm in your exact situation. Going from a MA to MA 2, I relate totally to your thoughts and I would had that my other surprise was the speed of the MA2. It's faster than the old one, blink and it is gone.

Fly safely
2020-9-1
Use props
Dangerly
lvl.4
United States

ririlan Posted at 9-1 08:56
Hi Dangerly, I'm in your exact situation. Going from a MA to MA 2, I relate totally to your thoughts and I would had that my other surprise was the speed of the MA2. It's faster than the old one, blink and it is gone.

Fly safely

Thanks - that's interesting about the speed. From the specs I recall, I think they have the same max speed in sport mode?
2020-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules