Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone Choices for Newbie to Pair with Digital FPV System?
1123 1 2020-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skavage
lvl.1

United States

I'm hoping for a few suggestions for a drone to pair with the Digital FPV System.  I'm very new to drones themselves having messed around with a few "toy" quality drones.  But I was just given a Holy Stone HS720 and I'm starting to learn how to do some video with it and just having fun.  
I've always been really interested in the FPV aspect of the sport and have spent the better part of a couple hundred hours in online racing sims using a Pimax 5k VR system and a full motion 2-dof simulator.  So plenty of experience wearing goggles, but nothing related to drone flight and I expect the difference is significant.

I've just retired and decided to start having some flying fun again (I'm an old R/C fixed wing guy).  I told myself when the time came to try FPV I wasn't going to start cheap and spend more and more money upgrading.  I figure if I am going to do FPV, then I am going to start with something I can grow into, rather than out of.  After a TON of reading I think digital is the top of the line so I'm ready to buy the Fly More DJI Digital FPV System.  But I have no idea what drone to pair it with.  While I don't want to start cheap with the FPV system, I don't mind starting cheap with a drone as I am sure I will see my fair share of crashes before I'm competent enough to spend money on a high end drone.   

So a few questions....Can the digital FPV system be used with the HS720?  If not, any suggestions for an entry level drone that will work with the digital FPV system?  I don't mind building something myself as I think that is both a good way to learn and is enjoyable to me.  I'm pretty good with electronics, wiring, soldering and such so that kind of thing is perfectly fine.  I'm just not sure what to buy as a beginners FPV drone.  I haven't found anything that is a full kit (less the FPV gear).  Everything seems to be frames (most for racing) that I have to pick and choose what electronics to add, which is a bit confusing still at this stage.  I'd love to find a kit that came with motors, ESC's, and pretty much everything I need except the FPV system.  Does that even exist?  I have no plans to race but definitely want to do some video while flying FPV and who knows what else.  So any help/suggestions would be great.

Thank you,
2020-8-31
Use props
jffry7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27566 ft
Singapore

The DJI FPV system can mount to almost anything as long as you can carry and power the unit, even you fixed wing can mount it. In my opinion and just my opinion putting it on that HS720 kinda defeats the purpose of the FPV system. I can mount it on my mavic 2 but it wont really be good for learning fpv, IHMO. I am also quite new in FPV but had been flying all different models for years mostly LOS tho. I would strongly suggest to first fly a simulator for FPV like liftoff or velocidrone, it is worth the investment and will make it easy to transition to the real thing.

Now for the recommendation of what to buy, I think there was one on getfpv either a transtec or iflight that sells with the option of no DJI AIR UNIT on it but can remember which one. IT very seldom they sell it separately but you can buy parts for similar BNF. Overall any 2" or 2.5" (maybe 3inch but preferably the other 2 size) would be a great start. Cheap brands like eachine seems ok but try to read review first. I personally went with geprc rocket plus BNF and already going thru small gaps indoor with it after 2 weeks. Now I already built a pusher equivalent of the same rocket plus and flew it more. I also tried the betafpv 95x umma (pusher style built by myself) but I dont recommend it as betafpv QA seems to be dropping pretty bad. The pusher 95x has clearance issue with certain motors.

This seems to be my longest post ever, to sum it up. Go with a sim if possible then get a 2" or 2.5" from geprc, iflight or transtec (or maybe an eachine viswhoop). When you are comfortable then you can try the 5" class, me personally I would go for 3" just cause the regulation here is pretty tough and there are limited air space to fly. Lastly, start flying in level/stab mode then go acro when comfortable ( i would assume you will go in BETAFLIGHT firmware/flightcontroller as most DJI fpv quads are base of that FC, kiss has one too but more for freestyle/racing)
2020-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules