How Entering Waypoints can Damage Your Battery
841 8 2020-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Old Man Mike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 376050 ft
United States

When using the DJI Go4 to setup a series of waypoints, you must have the Mavic 2 powered up and connected to Go4.  Sitting on the ground with the Mavic in idle can cause significant heating of the battery because air flow is much reduced compared to flying.  I found this out after reviewing the following battery data:

The three tallest green bars with the middle bar reaching orange is where I had sat the Mavic on the ground and had it in idle setting up waypoints.  I then did a quick test flight following the waypoints.  The Mavic was sitting in the sun on a brick surface while I made minor changes and this was only for a few minutes before the flights.  I’m glad I did not spend any more than a few minutes entering waypoints because the battery would have likely reached the red level.

I would have very much liked to have seen the Battery temperature reached during this period but unfortunately DJI has yet to fix the Battery data Logging for the Smart Controller.  DJI, can you PLEASE fix this problem.

From now on I will be entering waypoints inside a cool house with a small fan blowing air across the battery.  

2020-9-1
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Many thanks for sharing your findings
2020-9-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for creating this informative post and sharing your personal insights regarding this matter. I will forward this feedback to our designated DJI support team for further evaluation. Thank you.
2020-9-1
Use props
Old Man Mike
lvl.2
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 9-1 05:58
I don't use Go4 for waypoint missions, but I assume you can't save created missions so they can be quickly loaded for flight?

You should get Litchi.  You can program flights offline, from your device or computer, then quickly load them when you are ready to fly.

Mr. Dirty Bird,

Thanks for the reply.  You can save programmed waypoints in Go4 but you have to do it while connected to the Mavic.  And based on your excellent "Storm Sky" video and your 1300 miles of flying, I'll take your recommendation about Litchi seriously.  Do you use also use Litchi for all your manual flying and can stored Litchi waypoints be loaded for flying with Go4?  I had heard of Litchi but I've been reluctant use anything other than DJI and Airdata on the Smart Controller.

One additional question.  If you fly with Litchi, does it transfer logs properly to Airdata and if so, is Battery Temperature and Amp draw working?
2020-9-1
Use props
Old Man Mike
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-1 12:59
Hi. Thank you for creating this informative post and sharing your personal insights regarding this matter. I will forward this feedback to our designated DJI support team for further evaluation. Thank you.

Thanks Paladin!
2020-9-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

You are more than welcome and thank you for your valued feedback.
2020-9-1
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

I agree with Dirty Bird for using Litchi for waypoints so much better and you can create all you flights and save them and just load once in the air.
2020-9-1
Use props
Old Man Mike
lvl.2
United States

Suren Posted at 9-1 21:12
I agree with Dirty Bird for using Litchi for waypoints so much better and you can create all you flights and save them and just load once in the air.

OK Suren and Dirty Bird, I reviewed the Litchi user manual and have two questions:

1) Does a Litchi waypoint flight require continuous connection to the controller in order to complete?  One of the things I look forward to testing with Go4 waypoints is the option for the flight to continue even if the link to the controller is lost.  Of course if the battery level becomes low enough it will return before completion.

2) Does a Litchi waypoint flight uploaded log to Airdata show the Battery temperatures along the flight path and also the Battery amp current along the flight path?  (As noted previously in this thread, Go4 is currently not working for this data with the Smart Controller.)
2020-9-1
Use props
Old Man Mike
lvl.2
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 9-2 00:28
Whether the mission continues when the RC connection is lost is user selectable in Litchi.  Litchi can automatically or manually upload flight logs to AirData.  I don't have a Smart Controller so I don't know if it uploads the specific battery data you mentioned.

Thanks, Dirty Bird.  I was looking at the User Manual in the waypoint options and did not see it.  After your comment I looked again and saw the intro to waypoints saying that continuing the mission after a lost RC connection is the normal operation.   So now I wonder if you can choose to have it abort the mission and return home if the RC connect is lost.

One other note is that I have the DJI Care Refresh which would be mostly worthless when flying using Litchi.  DJI states that coverage is void when flying using 3rd party apps.  I'll probably wait to try Litchi until after the Care Refresh period expires.

Comparing Litchi waypoint entry to what I've been doing with the DJI Go4 app certainly convinces me that Litchi would be a much improved way to enter and manage waypoints.  I'm a little surprised that a company that could develop such outstanding products like the Mavic and Ocusync 2 waveform could not have done better with the waypoint entry process.

2020-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules