Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-6-22
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

I always buy the best of what I am buying. I needed a tablet for my P3P so I ordered a ipad mini 3 128 gig. I know I will never use all that space but....
2015-6-22
Use props
Vaupell
lvl.2
Flight distance : 198392 ft
Denmark

Following this thread, been trying to record 4k myself.

Sofar only 1080p.

PS.  4K computer monitors arent that exspensive, compared to tv's.
However, for picture taking 4k works fine, video recording, not so much..
PS. I'm using the Samsung U28D  4k UHD 60Hz ;)  <3 <3 <3 so much love

2015-6-22
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Someone like myself who has bought the P3P, may be shooting in 4k in order to create really nice quality videos when the footage is downsampled to 1080 etc.

Haven't done this in practice yet as Im stilll experimenting, but that's the plan.

Nick
2015-6-22
Use props
spiderbot.sb
lvl.4
United States

When I took my first 4K video and watched it indoors on my computer, I quickly determined that I had not wasted my money.  It's beautiful.  In addition, with my software (Vegas) I can crop 4k and maintain acceptable clarity.  It's almost like having a little bit of zoom.  4K can be reduced to smaller formats where needed.  Plus, the 4K camera can produce all the other formats directly.

There's also the better battery charger.
2015-6-22
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I have mostly been shooting in 1080P.  I have tried shooting in 4K and then importing the footage into FinalCut.  Downscaling 4K footage to 1080 in post definitely does result in superior end result in 1080.  But the huge files and slow rendering time makes it impractical.  My computer can't even play 4K without dropping frames like crazy.  Perhaps if I had a faster computer and more storage space... 4K might be worth it.  But right now the standards for 4K TV are not even settled.  (There are about 4 different proposed standards battling it out.)  It's fine if you have a massively powerful computer & 4K monitor to edit on.  But for now I am finding 1080P to be far more practical.
2015-6-22
Use props
chris.pugrud
lvl.2

United States

I'd suggest doing some research before making such bold statements.

4K monitors are plentiful and cheap if you shop smartly. I picked up a 50" 4K TV 18 months ago for $600 and I'm getting ready to upgrade to HDMI 2.0.

Youtube has been supporting 4K for 2 years and just now added 8k! Many people here have uploaded 4k P3P videos to youtube and shared links.

There is no HDMI port on the P3P controller, it is the same controller as the P3A. DJI is manufacturing an upgrade board that will add an HDMI output to the controller.

There is a proven improvement in video quality when filming in 4k and downsampling to 1080p in post. Google 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 4k to 1080p.

Just because you don't have the need, desire, or technology to take advantage of 4k makes it pretty silly for you to assume nobody else does.
2015-6-22
Use props
kailani
New
United States

I have an older version of this TV http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Class-2160p-120Hz-UHDTV/dp/B00Q2VFC4U as my monitor. The stability and it being 4K makes it look like you're looking through a window to the world. I live in the SF Bay area so could also throw video on a USB stick to take to a Fry's or something.
2015-6-22
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

2015-6-22
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2015-6-23 04:39
My original intention was to get feedback because I'm still on the fence if I should order P3A or  ...

Thats an easy one... get the best that your budget will allow.

Nick
2015-6-22
Use props
Jimw_61
lvl.1

United States

You can do so much more with the 4k; zoom in using software, cut stills from the video feed...  Like most things in life you get what you pay for.
2015-6-22
Use props
kgarrison
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

4k for me is about using it as a tool, not as output. First, as Jimw said, you can zoom up to 200% if you shoot in 4k and edit in 1080. Second is the issue of chroma sub-sampling. Simply put, the camera records the brightness data on every pixel but the color data is on every 4th pixel (a way to save space with minimal image quality loss). By shooting in 4k and editing in 1080, you compress the data back and get color and brightness on every pixel, this gives you a better 1080 image than if you had shot at 1080. So...go with a Professional. We have them in stock with free shipping in the US at http://multicopterwarehouse.com.
2015-6-23
Use props
Oliver
lvl.3

United Kingdom

4k scaled to 1080p looks far superior for the reasons explained above. I always shoot en 4k even though it's a pain to work with sometimes.
2015-6-23
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2015-6-23 04:39
My original intention was to get feedback because I'm still on the fence if I should order P3A or  ...

I've been an amateur photographer for a long time - still not good enough to consider myself a pro! I bought the 4K because I had read where many, more experienced, photographers were taking pictures with 4K and processing them into 1080. Experts claim it actually makes for a better video - I'll have to take their word for it. I honestly don't see the difference - maybe on a really big screen!

But I also wanted the best I could get at the time. Like many of these others, I'm shooting my video mostly in 4K - storage is cheap - if I live long enough I can process it again when 4K becomes really common.

With the P3P, as I'll bet you already know, the charger is more powerful - it will charge your P3 batteries faster. So that, and the "better" camera are the only differences.
2015-6-23
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

chris.pugrud@gm Posted at 2015-6-23 03:06
I'd suggest doing some research before making such bold statements.

4K monitors are plentiful and c ...

So that 4K TV you just paid for...  Does it support HDMI 2.0?  How about HDCP2.2 support?  Does it support the new HEVC (H265) codec support?  

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

2015-6-23
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Oliver Posted at 2015-6-24 00:22
4k scaled to 1080p looks far superior for the reasons explained above. I always shoot en 4k even tho ...

Consumer Reports did a side-by-side comparison: 4K content on 4K TVs, and the same movie on Blu-ray with a 1080p TVs. They found, "...yes--the 4K films did show a noticeable bump in image detail compared to their HD counterparts. But there's a caveat: These differences were not present on all movies, and were visible only when viewed less than 2 feet from the screen, and even then only on certain scenes. When I moved back about 7 feet from the displays, differences between 4K and HD content were not discernible to any meaningful degree."
2015-6-23
Use props
jhall651
lvl.3

United States

I want to join this lynch mob.  Let me grab my pitch fork real quick.  Ahh here it is. WHAT DO YOU MEAN COMPUTER MONITORS ARE NOT 4K YET?!?!  OF COURSE THERE ARE 4K MONITORS AND TV's... AND FOR CHEAP!!!  HAVE BEEN AROUND FOR YEARS!!!  WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!!!
2015-6-23
Use props
kenmasters
lvl.1

Canada

DJI    ---- PLEASE INCLUDE A 2K or 2.5K MODE !!!!     Period.

I use a Mac.  I don't plan on upgrading it to the latest and greatest with a 5K monitor anytime soon.   4K video playback on my 2012 i7 with 20 gigs of ram is not smooth.   
2015-6-23
Use props
NoOne
lvl.2
Italy

> Computer screens are not 4k yet

Well some are ... (loving my 5k iMac). ;)
2015-6-23
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-6-24 07:51
So that 4K TV you just paid for...  Does it support HDMI 2.0?  How about HDCP2.2 support?  Does it ...

I read that several weeks ago. He suggested that no one needs a TV over 84 inches. He suggests you ask your wife. Ask your wife's friends.

Don't ask my wife!

I have the fortune to (a) love sports and (b) married to a woman who probably likes sports better than I do! This woman watches the NFL draft! When HD came along she told someone she used to see grass. Now she can see individual blades of grass. She joked that yes, a TV bigger than 84 inches would be cool. "Then I could see the laces on the ball!"

I have yet to see an actual 4K picture on anything - not a small screen, not a big screen - nuttin!
But I have some friends who say they have seen 4K on a huge screen and it was like looking out the window. Guess I'll have to see it to believe it.

Now if we could film in IMAX!!!
2015-6-24
Use props
pbrown73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 964596 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's another example of why to shoot 4k- use the extra pixels to produce zoom within a 1080 or 720 frame.

2015-6-24
Use props
Mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

On a 1080p TV or monitor you can tell a very noticeable difference between video recorded in 1080 and 4k even though the screen can't display 4k it's still noticeably clearer, sharper, ect.  So I would by the p3 pro because there is a nice difference in quality even on a 1080p monitor
2015-6-24
Use props
jack1144
lvl.3

Canada

If you have not edited  and processed video, you may have a hard time understanding that the 4k is an AQUISITION  format.
As many have said if you capture your footage in 4k, you can do much more with it( zoom in, grab still photos checking frame by frame if needed,etc) and still maintain or have better quality than a HD capture after rendering out the final DELIVERY format ( DVD, HD,BLU RAY). If your unsure ask the profession video people, they know.
2015-6-24
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

People with money don't care and get P3Pro. However people who are a bit tight tend to have this problem...
The P3 Pro 4K is nice - so I go and buy a 4K display and it plays back and its nice - but i'm not happy with no sound and unprofessional movement from my P3P. I need a video editor. I find out that my exiting PC has a hard time playing back and editing in 4K. It's time consuming and I spend more money upgrading the PC. $4000 later, coincidently I have spent 4K. As hobbyist and expecting no returns, its rather expensive.

2015-6-24
Use props
Nick Martin
lvl.2

United Kingdom

People have hit the nail on the head in this thread when they've said 'people who don't / haven't edited video before' don't understand the concept of 4K resolution. Same problem applies to people with little experience of photography.

At the risk of sounding controversial here, why would anyone who isn't ALREADY interested in video or photography, consider buying a drone to begin with? Then.. purchase one and complain about not being able to edit the output etc!!!

Personally I bought a P3P as an extension of my photography interests, and to expand my growing interest in video too.

Cheers,

Nick
2015-6-24
Use props
vu.q.le
Banned

United States

2015-6-25
Use props
wiregrassbulldo
lvl.1

United States

It's easy enough to throw out pixel data.  It's far easier than making up what wasn't there to begin with.  The stuttering and drop frames is a product of the bitrate of the video streams.  It takes a pretty big hose to move 60Mbps of data.  If there's not alot of motion in the video, it's possible to transcode 4k to a lessor bitrate, which would make a world of difference
anywhere.  There's a ton of folks who are very knowledgeable and always eager to help over at doom9 and videohelp.

Throughput.jpg
2015-6-25
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
United States

vu.q.le@outlook Posted at 2015-6-26 01:29
I'm buying it because I can afford it and it's a freaking toy to me!

And we read Playboy for the articles! LOL
Apparently you're an honest man!

My "excuse" is that I bought my quads for photography, but I've been having a ball flying them. I often end up flying just for the fun of it. The camera is running just in case, but a lot of what I record gets thrown away. Up and down the street and up in the air is pretty boring to just about anybody.

Got absolutely 1 1/2 videos I'm really proud of. One is of an old house here in town and the other (half done) is a "cruise" through the canals/islands in a local park. The highest geographic spot in the state of Florida is 345 above sea level, so there' snot much topography interest here. There are miles of beaches, but I'm in the middle of the state. Been working hard, racking my brain, to find good ideas for videos. So, in the meantime, I just play with my toys!
2015-6-26
Use props
ebonovic
lvl.1

United States

For me, capturing in 4k is also for the future...    I have a NAS and keep most of my quality footage around.
Even though right now, my final renders of video's are in 1080p (because that is what is readily viewable by friends and family)... I do all the projects with 4k.
As say a year from now, I can re-render the output in 4K and view it in all the glory that it is.
2015-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules