Osmo Action 2
131693 225 2020-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BoozaWooza
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 9-8 07:23
Totally Amazing how DJI got testers for the OM5, and 9:AM al the Youtubers  were promised to release that time. so what will OA2 to bring us, all those Yotuber testers.

Which youtubers? Then we can follow them to get news before DJI tell us
2021-9-8
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Fishycomics Posted at 9-8 07:23
Totally Amazing how DJI got testers for the OM5, and 9:AM al the Youtubers  were promised to release that time. so what will OA2 to bring us, all those Yotuber testers.

The big ones get the devices sometimes months ahead. But they are under a broadcast embargo until a set date. I am sure most of them have  finished shooting and editing their Hero 10  videos already...
2021-9-8
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

CemAygun Posted at 9-8 15:44
The big ones get the devices sometimes months ahead. But they are under a broadcast embargo until a set date. I am sure most of them have  finished shooting and editing their Hero 10  videos already...

One of the Camera Companies did it the right way, and that was Kodak back then. the Kodak ZI8, what they did was had inhouse simply post video up of everyday shots.  When ready to release the camera, everyone loved it. no headaches.
2021-9-8
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

Fishycomics Posted at 9-8 16:14
One of the Camera Companies did it the right way, and that was Kodak back then. the Kodak ZI8, what they did was had inhouse simply post video up of everyday shots.  When ready to release the camera, everyone loved it. no headaches.

It is a different world now. I believe the youtubers who get the devices early are not allowed to tarnish the product. So their videos are basically advertisements disguising as reviews... I find them utterly useless.

For some reason I am not very optimistic about Action 2. I think OA1 gave DJI too much headache due to the design flaw in it's waterproofing. I would love to see myself  proven wrong though .
2021-9-8
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Yep, days are gone.  Not even a firmware update since Dec 2020
2021-9-9
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I'm disapointed that they didn't release OA2, but they can still release it later this year. If not I guess my next action cam will be Insta360 or something when time for upgrading.

But since they have 5 releases of OM now, their main customers are drone and phone-users.
2021-9-10
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Yes, I want a smartphone drone     high 5 was never about action but sucker us along  ( lol)
2021-9-10
Use props
Pani.Fouskova
New

Czechia

what is this  https://dronexl.co/2021/09/23/dji-osmo-action-2-oa2-specs/   ???

please, tell me this is not true ! (((((((
2021-9-24
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

its all written up by someone. that is all
2021-9-24
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Pani.Fouskova Posted at 9-24 03:10

If it's true I will still buy it.
2021-9-24
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

Pani.Fouskova Posted at 9-24 03:10

Unfortunately it seems to be true (((( Another maximum 2.7K resolution camera (((( (actually depending on the correction angle I think it can go way below 2.7K true resolution with stabilization+horizon steady). Unbelievable...

I would not be surprised if the lens module is self sufficient (unlike Insta360 R) and the whole thing is only aimed towards FPV users. The wording makes it sound like that. And probably that is why weight is the first thing they list.

EDIT: I was right, it is just a Hero Session / Insta360 Go rival. It has very few improvements over OA apart from miniaturization. It should not have been called "Action 2"; "Action Mini" or "Action Light/Air" would have been much more appropriate names...
2021-9-24
Use props
relaxosmo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 180604 ft
Hungary

2.7k?

4K video up to 60 fps
Slo-Mo 4K 120 fps
2021-9-24
Use props
Mr_Martinez
lvl.2
Netherlands

CemAygun Posted at 9-24 16:12
Unfortunately it seems to be true (((( Another maximum 2.7K resolution camera (((( (actually depending on the correction angle I think it can go way below 2.7K true resolution with stabilization+horizon steady). Unbelievable...

I would not be surprised if the lens module is self sufficient (unlike Insta360 R) and the whole thing is only aimed towards FPV users. The wording makes it sound like that. And probably that is why weight is the first thing they list.

The specs look quite good, with a bigger sensor, HEVC support, HorizonSteady and the modular setup.
Let's hope the price is right too.
2021-9-25
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Same sensor size as Pocket 2, so a bit bigger than original OA and with better lowlight performance.

I think it is not ment to compete against gopro, but more to insta360:
- You can use it as insta go 2 but with much better performance (around your neck, place it on metal surface etc). Go 2 have limit of 2K and only 30 min battery and memory, this will have double battery time.
- Modular so you can probably switch lenses also like insta360 twin/1"
40K @ 120 for slowmotion sounds great.

If the price will be under/around $400 it will be amazing, but I will buy it.

And if DJI will loan me a sample to test it out, please reach out to me and I will keep it a secret
2021-9-25
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

relaxosmo Posted at 9-24 21:23
2.7k?

4K video up to 60 fps

Stabilized 4K videos will be upscaled, same as the original Osmo Action, as the sensor is only 12MP.

At that resolution you need almost a full sensor readout (horizontally at least) to get 4K. So if the stabilization is disabled (there is no cropping) you get true 4K, no argument there.

Once you enable RS,  it has to crop a lot into the full readout (which is already at the 4K limit) for the stabilization margin and that brings the true resolution way below 4K. We had threads about it, and basically the calculated true resolution seems to be around 2.7K with rocksteady on.

You need at least a 16MP sensor to get real 4K with the amount of crop these software stabilizations require.

By the way Gopro did the same thing up until Hero 9.

Anyways, it was my bad to expect something more advanced after two years
2021-9-25
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

johansenfoto Posted at 9-25 01:02
Same sensor size as Pocket 2, so a bit bigger than original OA and with better lowlight performance.

I think it is not ment to compete against gopro, but more to insta360:

Actually it is not "really" modular like Intsa R as far as I can tell. I believe the camera is what it is; a Hero Session/Insta360 Go rival aimed mostly at FPV pilots with at least much better specs than the latter. The ad-ons seem to be trivial and optional, like an extra front facing screen or a battery.

So far it seems to have 3 advantages over OA1: Slightly bigger sensor, Hevc encoding and 4K 120. Basically the whole point seems to be it's size and weight

As you said, only one thing remains important after this point, and that is the price Personally, and rather unfortunately, it does not offer anything for me to justify an upgrade, regardless of the cost. But I am sure it will be a game changer with it's size and weight
2021-9-25
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Well, I will delay replacing my Insta360 Go 2 which I dropped 50 feet onto concrete and destroyed.  This does seem to be a replacement for that of sorts, though it is about twice as heavy and it's more bulky.  But the Go 2 was designed first of all for tiny size, and everything else was compromised for that target.  This seems to have a more balanced feature set.  Personally the horizon locking is a colossal advantage over the Action Mk 1 - I just bought a gimbal to get around that problem.  I wonder whether the horizon lock of the Action 2 will be full 360 like the Go 2?  That was a great feature.  With the very wide lens of the Action 2, that's a possibility.  As for price, it seems like if you don't want to vlog with it, you don't have to pay for the front screen module, but presumably the extra battery remains an option.  So the cost of camera only plus battery might be relatively affordable.  Interesting times...
2021-9-25
Use props
gatamer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10520404 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

This is Action 2
D6D3A253-8F50-44A9-8F51-3F29995B171A.jpeg
2021-9-25
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

CemAygun Posted at 9-25 04:06
Actually it is not "really" modular like Intsa R as far as I can tell. I believe the camera is what it is; a Hero Session/Insta360 Go rival aimed mostly at FPV pilots with at least much better specs than the latter. The ad-ons seem to be trivial and optional, like an extra front facing screen or a battery.

So far it seems to have 3 advantages over OA1: Slightly bigger sensor, Hevc encoding and 4K 120. Basically the whole point seems to be it's size and weight

Yeah it's sad it wont have true 4K readout, gopro have with 9 and 10 if I'm correct.

I hope it will come as modular, but I hope for bigger sensor (more MP) so we can get true 4K.
It could also be that they will make a base-system where they later can make 360 lens and so on.

And I want this long before christmas
2021-9-26
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Shocked DJI did not themselves  Post this SHOCKED
2021-9-26
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 9-24 16:12
Unfortunately it seems to be true (((( Another maximum 2.7K resolution camera (((( (actually depending on the correction angle I think it can go way below 2.7K true resolution with stabilization+horizon steady). Unbelievable...

I would not be surprised if the lens module is self sufficient (unlike Insta360 R) and the whole thing is only aimed towards FPV users. The wording makes it sound like that. And probably that is why weight is the first thing they list.

I don’t know the answer, but is there a chance they have extra resolution available for the stabilisation. The sensor claims to be 12M for stills but not quoted for video.
2021-9-26
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Like the osmo pocket was quite innovative, I like the fact this seems a bit different too.   Although a lot of people are moaning about the overheating of hero10, the image quality looks very good - so dji have got have got tough competition with the GoPro and insta360.

Presuming price is reasonable I will go for one,  but it will be returned straightaway if it has the same compression issue exposure flicker of pocket2 !
2021-9-26
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Hero 10, not defending it. GoPro did their bench tests, we do our own observations,not going to be that watching baseball or football or kids activity camera, or inside the house a  non stop recording.

camera works as expected out and about bike riding for me
2021-9-27
Use props
griffdude13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53507 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hoping DJI doesn't phase this guy out. I would love to see a revised edition added to the current roster.
2021-9-27
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

We have to remember that we still doesn't know that there will be a OA2.

But if they release like the 2 leaks, it could be cool if they released first the one with modular system, and later the one with 5-6K and even bigger sensor like like insta360 R-series.
2021-9-28
Use props
djiuser_wZPe7cQECbpo
New

Algeria

Is there gonna be another firmware update  for the original osmo action ?
2021-11-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules