Problems controlling my Phantom 4 Advanced +
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BTP4A+
lvl.1

Canada

So I've had my P4A+ for a couple years now.  Great drone, absolutely love it, have used it on a lot of shoots.  It was always easy to control and reliable.  Now cue to earlier this year where I had my first accident with it.  I accidentally caught a tree branch with it when getting a little to confident on how close I could get on a tracking shot flying parallel to a tree line.  There was one branch sticking farther out than the others and it caught my prop, had a bad crash and wrecked some stuff.  While I was really bummed out about it, I sent it off to a DJI approved repair center here in Canada to have the work done.  No problem.  Got the drone back and it looked like new again.
  The issue I have now though is when I fly the drone I have an extremely hard time controlling it.  To the point that its a panic and I almost have to fight it to get it back to the landing place and stop it from smashing itself into nearby trees ect.  The issue seems to be with any kind of breeze or wind it over compensates and starts kind of going off on its own, drifting quite a ways usually backwards or left or right.  Then I have to panic to try and steer it back above me to or to an open area and even then I seem to over shoot as it wants to keep drifing off on it's own.  And I'm not talking about flying in a tight congested place either.  The first time I took it out was to a open feild with 2 ball diamonds.  The diamonds were surrounded by trees, but that's probably 500square yards to safely fly in with nothing but a 5 foot tall chainlink fence anywhere in the area.  Once it was in the air it started drifting on it's own and it took everything I had to do emergency manuevers to steer it away from the tree line and plant it in the grass to save it before it smashed itself into a bunch of trees.  It never was like that before, it was always super controllable and very intuitive to fly with no problems.  I feel like there has got to be problems with sensors or something for it to be doing this.  Is there a way to re set everything?  Or maybe I have to reinstall something?  At this point the drone is pretty much too dangerous to fly as I can't keep control of it to one area, there's got to be a reason for the drastic change.  Has anybody had, or heard of similar issues?

2020-9-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi BTP4A+, sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the drone. Please try to calibrate the gimbal in an open area, keep away from wireless interference. Calibrate the IMU and controller as well. Please also check if the propellers are all in good shape, change the propeller if it was damaged. Besides, you may try refresh the latest firmware via DJI Assistant 2 and test again.
If the issue persists, you are suggested to send the drone back again for diagnosis. Please contact our support to start a case.
2020-9-1
Use props
BTP4A+
lvl.1

Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 9-1 19:47
Hi BTP4A+, sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the drone. Please try to calibrate the gimbal in an open area, keep away from wireless interference. Calibrate the IMU and controller as well. Please also check if the propellers are all in good shape, change the propeller if it was damaged. Besides, you may try refresh the latest firmware via DJI Assistant 2 and test again.
If the issue persists, you are suggested to send the drone back again for diagnosis. Please contact our support to start a case.

Thanks for the reply DJI Susan.  As far as calibrating the IMU and controller can I do all of that through the controller?  I know I can calibrate the gimbal through the controller.  The propellers are brand new so that's not an issue.  I'd definitely like to fix this issue myself, as the shop I sent it to took 3 and a half months to get it back to me.  I definitely can't wait that long again.  Thanks so much for your help!
2020-9-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

BTP4A+ Posted at 9-1 20:44
Thanks for the reply DJI Susan.  As far as calibrating the IMU and controller can I do all of that through the controller?  I know I can calibrate the gimbal through the controller.  The propellers are brand new so that's not an issue.  I'd definitely like to fix this issue myself, as the shop I sent it to took 3 and a half months to get it back to me.  I definitely can't wait that long again.  Thanks so much for your help!

Yes, you can calibrate them on the controller.
IMU:
Controller calibration (it is Mavic Pro's, but the steps are the same):
2020-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules