No GPS data in pictures
4337 11 2020-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kessler
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Somehow I don't get the GPS information in the jpg EXIF data. Is this a setting on the Mavic or how can I get this info?

2020-9-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your images have metadata, without you having to do anything.
Post an original image file (not a screenshot) and someone can check it for you.
2020-9-2
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Learn something new every day.  I never new that GPS data was part of EXIF data at all.  However, I just looked and the photos from my Mini do have GPS data.  Pretty sure I did not do anything to enable GPS data.
2020-9-2
Use props
Cobra_rc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 826417 ft
Poland

You can find GPS coordinates in exif data.
2020-9-2
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

And just using a Windows pc, here it is:
2020-9-2
Use props
William Landrum
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36644 ft
United States

Can I see that gps data from my iPhone while out in the field? Or can it only be seen on a computer?
2-26 15:09
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

William Landrum Posted at 2-26 15:09
Can I see that gps data from my iPhone while out in the field? Or can it only be seen on a computer?

The image metadata is in each image file you shoot.
You would need to view the image on a computer to access the metadata.
2-26 20:08
Use props
broncogabe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36644 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-26 20:08
You would need to view the image on a computer to access the metadata.

Thank you, for help.
2-27 15:22
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

William Landrum Posted at 2-26 15:09
Can I see that gps data from my iPhone while out in the field? Or can it only be seen on a computer?
if you use Quick Transfer to transfer the original image from the drone to the phone, or you remove the SD card and insert that into a card reader plugged into the phone, (the preview images that the Fly app displays do not contain the EXIF data) then you can use an app on your phone to display the data without having to use your PC.

I am on Android and there are many apps that will let you view and even edit the EXIF data.

So no, you do not need a computer to view the EXIF data.
2-28 01:21
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 2-28 01:21
if you use Quick Transfer to transfer the original image from the drone to the phone, or you remove the SD card and insert that into a card reader plugged into the phone, (the preview images that the Fly app displays do not contain the EXIF data) then you can use an app on your phone to display the data without having to use your PC.

I am on Android and there are many apps that will let you view and even edit the EXIF data.

Here is an example of a Mini 2 photo viewed in the ' Photo EXIF Editor' app on Android - no computer needed:

Screenshot_20240228-095509[1].png

The image loaded into the app in the screenshot above was taken directly off the SD card in the drone. All of these images will have the EXIF data.

Something I did notice, which is a bit odd, is that one of the images I have in the DJI Album on my phone actually does have EXIF data.. just one out of around 50 photos currently in there. My understanding was that these were the preview images, so why one of them has the EXIF data is a bit of a mystery.

I'll need to do some experimenting to work out why, but I'm wondering if when you hit the download button in the DJI Fly app album it then downloads the full image from the drone into the DJI Album folder on the phone. (Or if it did this at some point in the past with particular versions of the app).

Bottom line is that the reliable way to get the version of the image with the EXIF data is to get it off the SD card either directly or via Quick Transfer (if you can get Quick Transfer to connect!).

2-28 02:22
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2-26 20:08
You would need to view the image on a computer to access the metadata.

Labroids: You would need to view the image on a computer to access the metadata.

That's simply not true.

There are plenty of apps available for both Android and iOS phones and tablets that will show you the EXIF metadata stored in the original images - some of teh apps even let you edit the metadata.

You just need to get the images off the SD card into your phone or tablet and there are various ways to do that which do not involve using a computer either.
2-28 02:27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

No Original Thought Posted at 2-28 02:27
Labroids: You would need to view the image on a computer to access the metadata.

That's simply not true.

Big deal .. a computer or a tablet.
The difference is trivial ... like your pathetic, pedantic trolling.
2-28 02:38
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules