1280 7 2020-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CreativeSky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

When I first got the Mavic I was impressed that the camera would always keep a level horizon. Now it seems it NEVER keeps a starit horizon. I can put in a correction but when I turn 90 degrees it is off and even worse if I do a 180.

Now I will admit that I get a compass error every time I take off but it seems it wants me to do a compass calibration EVERY TIME I want to take off which is a PIA. So I fly without doing a calibration. NO probelms at all except for the crooked horizon.

I have performed the compass calibration several times before take off and still get this same crooked horizon issue.

Any thughts?

Many thanks,
Houston

2020-9-4
Use props
Smashey1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173422 ft
Ireland

Have you tried an IMU calibration? also a gimbal calibration too. The compass cal only sorts the aircraft orientation to magnetic North.
2020-9-4
Use props
CreativeSky
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

No I have not but I will try those things. Thank you.
2020-9-4
Use props
Kwazy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41227 ft
United States

To piggy-back on this, I've also been experiencing a similar issue lately. It may have been present before, but became overly noticeable after a crash. I calibrated IMU and the gimbal several times now and it got much better than immedately after the crash, but now I notice that horizon remains slightly tilted when oriented in a specific direction (maybe west). I think manually adjust gimbal tilt (from gimbal settings) fixes the issue, but I'm not entirely sure yet if this is something I now have to adjust every time I fly, or if adjusting the tilt after calibration fixed the issue.

What is the cause of horizon misalignment when drone is pointing in a particular direction, and is there a way to fix it without sending it back to DJI? And if I send it back to DJI, is it something they actually can fix and recognize as a problem?
2020-9-4
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

For whatever reason Mavic class drones seem to be very sensitive in compass department. If you're traveling, they'll demand compass calibration every 50-75 km. Compass is also very touchy in terms of magnetic interferences nearby. Stay good 5 m away from your vehicle while performing calibration dance.  Believe or not, metal clamps on my suspenders were causing a problem ... But I will never ignore compass calibration request. BTW, compass reading has nothing to do with crooked horizon in camera view. If anything, IMU does. IMU calibration must be done properly in order to deliver ...
2020-9-4
Use props
CreativeSky
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I shoot a lot of Ranches here in Texas so I am constantly moving locations and I understand when moving long distances. But I am talking about shutting it off, changing a battery and then flying from the same location again. Compass requires calibration. So frustrating. I just ignore it any more because I would be getting motion sickness from spinning around so much from doing the compass dance.
2020-9-4
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there CreativeSky. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly pleas try to calibrate the IMU of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro for us to be able to isolate the said issue. I will post an official DJI Tutorial video on how to calibrate the IMU of your DJI Mavic 2 Pro. Thank you.

2020-9-6
Use props
dgibbphoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1619974 ft
United States

My dji phantom 4 pro has a terrible horizon misalignment.  Most video shot while panning or yawing is unusable.  I finally sent it in to DJI and received an estimate for the fix.
I will follow up to let you know if this fixes the problem.
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 12.50.04 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.01.15 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 12.50.04 PM.jpg
2021-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules