Mavic 2 batteries developing a bulge
950 9 2020-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eclair29
lvl.2
Flight distance : 306499 ft
Cambodia

Out of 3 batteries for my Mavic 2 zoom, 2 are developing a bulge which seems to be a sign of swelling.
They are just a little over a year and have a combined flight time of 57 hours which means less than 20 hours per battery or 40 discharges each.
Am I doing something wrong with storage? charge cycles?
I only charge them back the day before I know I will fly, they are stored at home in a dry and safe environment. I never let them go below 15% and I do not attempt to charge them when they are hot from after a flight. I have kept the default setting of 5 days automatic discharge if I leave them at 100%

battery barely fits

battery barely fits
2020-9-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi Eclair29, sorry for that case happened. Kindly please send an email to support@dji.com, provide the serial numbers and the photos of the batteries, our support team will help to check and provide further assistance. Thanks.
2020-9-4
Use props
Watchekong
lvl.1

Spain

I have 4 Mavic Air batteries for my drone. All are swollen and have developed cracks on each. This is clearly a manufacture problem that is potentially dangerous.

While flying my drone last Thursday, my drone suddenly lost power and crashed. When I inspected the drown I noticed the battery was cracked which I thought was a result of the crash. But it was not. I inspected the other 3 batteries which all have cracks without crashing.

My question is what can DJI do about this lost?
2020-9-4
Use props
Eclair29
lvl.2
Cambodia

DJI Natalia Posted at 9-4 22:05
Hi Eclair29, sorry for that case happened. Kindly please send an email to , provide the serial numbers and the photos of the batteries, our support team will help to check and provide further assistance. Thanks.

Hi Natalia,
Thank you for the advice. I am now waiting for a reply.
Is there a known defect on a particular series of batteries?
I have noticed that the 2 bad batteries have a similar serial when compared with the 3rd one which is fine.
Is one year a normal life expectency for such batteries?
2020-9-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Watchekong Posted at 9-4 23:42
I have 4 Mavic Air batteries for my drone. All are swollen and have developed cracks on each. This is clearly a manufacture problem that is potentially dangerous.

While flying my drone last Thursday, my drone suddenly lost power and crashed. When I inspected the drown I noticed the battery was cracked which I thought was a result of the crash. But it was not. I inspected the other 3 batteries which all have cracks without crashing.

Hi Watchekong, I'm sorry about the accident, kindly please contact our support team via http://www.dji.com/support to open a case and send the drone in for a diagnosis, we'll do our best to help.
2020-9-5
Use props
Eclair29
lvl.2
Cambodia

Watchekong Posted at 9-4 23:42
I have 4 Mavic Air batteries for my drone. All are swollen and have developed cracks on each. This is clearly a manufacture problem that is potentially dangerous.

How long have you had the batteries? How many flights or hours have you been using them?
For me they are just over 1 year old and I did apply all the handling recommendations from DJI in the hope to keep them in good shape as long as possible.
This is quite a disappointment...
2020-9-5
Use props
Eclair29
lvl.2
Cambodia

A friend of mine told me that generally, battery swelling is the result of overheat.
So I started to look at the flight logs, but to my surprise, I cannot see the information about the battery temperature.
I know it is monitored because during a flight you can check along with battery voltage.
Where is the temperature recorded if not in the flight log?
2020-9-11
Use props
Eclair29
lvl.2
Cambodia

Update: DJI After Sales has informed me that they will replace the 2 defective batteries. No explanation was provided whether this is a known issue.
We just have to work out how they will provide me the replacement since the DJI representative in the country does not seem very cooperative (I bought from a different reseller which is not working directly with DJI).
2020-9-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Eclair29 Posted at 9-27 05:36
Update: DJI After Sales has informed me that they will replace the 2 defective batteries. No explanation was provided whether this is a known issue.
We just have to work out how they will provide me the replacement since the DJI representative in the country does not seem very cooperative (I bought from a different reseller which is not working directly with DJI).

Thanks for getting back, glad to know the warranty service was provided.
Batteries work via an electrochemical process and anything that may alter this process such as over-discharging, crashes, water damage, etc. can result in a swollen battery. To avoid swollen batteries, please use and maintain your battery following the instructions that came with your product: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... y_Guidelines_EN.pdf

Please keep us updated if you need any further assistance.
2020-9-27
Use props
Watchekong
lvl.1

Spain

Eclair29 Posted at 2020-9-5 01:15
How long have you had the batteries? How many flights or hours have you been using them?
For me they are just over 1 year old and I did apply all the handling recommendations from DJI in the hope to keep them in good shape as long as possible.
This is quite a disappointment...

Sorry, I just saw your post. I ended up having to buy new batteries. No battery should behave this way. Its dangerous and sloppy.
2023-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules