V2+ Crash - Flipped on its own
1971 10 2014-9-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
prossi
New

United States

Was flying brand new Vision2+ under GPS waypoint program.  All of a sudden at 50 feet it flipped on its own and crashed - destroying gimbal mount and camera broke off.  
Has anyone experienced this?

2014-9-20
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you happen to notice what your battery percentage was at the time of the accident. I had something very similar happen to me, and I even recreated it under controlled circumstances and know what caused it.

Another possibility is if you were descending in a perfectly straight vertical line you may have fallen victim to VRS or prop wash. This wouldn't cause it to flip, I don't think. But it would cause a crash in most cases, if you didn't take evasive measures.
2014-9-20
Use props
prossi
New

United States

Battery was topped off...I was maybe 2 minutes into flight.    It was hovering when is suddenly went haywire
2014-9-21
Use props
thomaskim558
lvl.3
Flight distance : 865177 ft
Singapore

I also got this problem! for my case i just keep turned on and gimbal stabilization itself like 1o mins later but if the problem is huge than i think, u must visit to the nearest dealer and change ur gimbal its about $700
2014-9-21
Use props
intrepidiii
lvl.1

United States

Had similar situation. Was flying Ground Station mode at about 50 feet. Plenty of clearance. Was second flight. Was overflying large dish antennas.

First flight over the antennas was at 100 feet -- no problem. Battery capacity was high at time of crash. Was at about 3300 feet MSL in mountains of Northern California. Did proper compass calibration prior to flights. Was a hot day with moderate gusts from time to time.

I'm thinking that it may have been the metal mass that caused the fluxgate compass to malfunction, but can't prove it.

Any other ideas?

Ron
2014-9-22
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

prossi@optonlin Posted at 2014-9-21 17:43
Battery was topped off...I was maybe 2 minutes into flight.    It was hovering when is suddenly went ...

This is beyond my scope of experience then. Sorry to hear it. I will definitely follow this thread to see where it leads. I am curious as to what may have caused it. Hope you find a resolution.
2014-9-23
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

Just saying, you not suppose to fly around dish antennas, microwave towers, high voltage power lines etc. The frequencies can really mess up the DJI Phantom and make it do things, like go out of your control. Thats some crazy stuff. Good luck guy's.
2014-9-23
Use props
skymaker6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 49009 ft
United States

Hi, In looking at a YouTube by Demunseed, link below

He talked about the same thing, and when you are up high, the air is very thin, and it is something you have to look out for. I did not use ground control and I have been flying for about a week or so. and then I only used it for about 2 way point at about 10 feets, just to see how it worked. The only problem I had was, I did not know what to do after the mission was completed, so I turn off the control, and let it do a failsafe, and that work. Now I know what to do. I guess I should have read more.

Hope this help, but I do feel your pain..
2014-9-23
Use props
harald.asgard
New

Norway

I experienced something like it. Really confused.. Dont want it to happen again, but I have no idea what caused it.. Video of the flip: http://youtu.be/_gY0Ln-Utlc

Any ideas anyone?
2014-12-8
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

harald.asgard@g Posted at 2014-12-9 07:12
I experienced something like it. Really confused.. Dont want it to happen again, but I have no idea  ...

I have noticed with lots of these crash vids they always seem to veer to the left!!! .

I did have a flight where I had calibrated on a concrete surface which probably had reinforcing under it, and flight went ok but on trying to land it did this mad veer to the left before I regained control. coincidence?? DJI any opinions? (not holding my breath here though )
2014-12-8
Use props
palak.desai
lvl.1

United States

rod@voxvideopro Posted at 2014-12-9 09:11
I have noticed with lots of these crash vids they always seem to veer to the left!!! .

I did ha ...

Mine randomly flipped too out of nowhere, luckily I recovered it. It also veered to the left

after the flip, there is a flyaway, but thank god I regained control

http://youtu.be/ogExIuRQHC0
2014-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules