Camera AWB needs to be improved
1305 8 2020-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ruhr
lvl.2

Germany

Dear DJI-Team,

im also a hobby photographer for more than 10 years now. The first thing i recognized is that the Auto-White-Balance - Feature in the Camera-Settings is completely useless. The Camera changes the color temperature several times during flight. In the first moment the Picture is warm and in the next moment, when there is more sky in the picture it turns cold and blue. Also if there are shadows and i fly through em, the camera immediately changes the AWB.

I guess for everyone who wants to have useful HD-Recording, which u offer to em with an advertised digital HD-Recording - feature, the AWB Mode is not helpful. It needs to be improved if u want it to be a useful feature.

I´ve seen so much videos, where people show their flights.. but the image looks soooo cold.

U get the best looking image if u adjust it manually an set it to 5.400 - 5.800 k, according to ur taste.

I post u 2 Screenshots from the same flight.. between these Screenshots were just 2,5 sec of flight, just turning around.

AWB flying forward

AWB flying forward

AWB after turning 180 degrees

AWB after turning 180 degrees
2020-9-5
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-9-6
Use props
sleebus
lvl.1
United States

All AWB on any camera anywhere always sucks.  It's the first thing I turn off.  I shoot RAW if I can, if not I lock the white balance to one setting so I can fix it in post.  Pretty basic.
2020-9-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is common on all digital cameras,  just got manual and never look back.
2020-9-8
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sleebus Posted at 9-7 07:42
All AWB on any camera anywhere always sucks.  It's the first thing I turn off.  I shoot RAW if I can, if not I lock the white balance to one setting so I can fix it in post.  Pretty basic.

Good advice
2020-9-8
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

I think that's how auto works   You can't compare those 2 scenarios, 1 is with sun, 1 against - so they will be different
+1 for manual too
2020-9-8
Use props
Ruhr
lvl.2

Germany

I´ve never had this on any camera before like this. I can compare it... the camera is made for flying outside and recordings against the sun and with the sun in the back should be quite normal for it.

But ive also seen a lot of videos which are much too cold without these situation.

So i just wanted to say, that the AWB-Feature should be improved, when its offered in this product.
2020-9-8
Use props
sleebus
lvl.1
United States

There is no "fixing it" as it will always be influenced by the color of the items in the video.  That's why you just lock it and fix it in post.  It can be done:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdjFiuwb5us
2020-9-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for reaching out to DJI Forum and thank you for providing your personal feedback regarding this matter. I will forward this thread and suggestion to our designated DJI support team for further attention and evaluation. Thank you.
2020-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules