FAA investigation after the crash reported by police!
909 4 2020-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wsrtoha
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2230236 ft
United States

Hello everyone! I need advice: I was flying my Mavic Air 2 in Miami downtown in the night and it crashed on the 31st floor of a luxury apartment. I was able to locate the drone and the apartment number, but the owner reported it to the police!
Police did an investigation, I was able to prove that it was an accident, that I wasn't spying or anything, and gave me the drone. But they also reported that incident to FAA, and now they want to talk to me:

The City of Miami Police Department has informed the Federal Aviation Administration(FAA) your use of an unmanned aircraft system (UAS) which may be contrary to the current FAA regulations. This office is making a second attempt to speak with you regarding your operation of a UAS on August xx, 2020, within the vicinity of xxxx St., Miami, FL, where your UAS crashed into a 31st floor balcony. Failure to respond to this correspondence may result in a letter of investigation.
This office would like to determine if your operation of the UAS were within the scope of the Limited Exception for Recreational Flyers in 49 USC 44809 or in accordance with 14 CFR 107.

I only registred the drone with FAA the next day after the crash.
PLEASE, ADVICE WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT AND IF I WOULD NEED A LAWYER.

Thank you all!

2020-9-7
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Get a lawyer - probably a big fine
2020-9-8
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would reach out to the FAA first before getting a lawyer. The cost just to talk to a lawyer might be more than the fine. If the FAA starts talking about large fines then maybe talk to a lawyer but first see what the FAA wants from you. Here are the first steps. Was there any damage costs associated with the crash (not including damage to your drone)?  The FAA will mainly talk to you or fine you for flying at night without any nighttime lights, and flying in a potential no fly zone. If you have a Part 107 license they can suspend your license but as a hobbyist they could let you off with a stern warning. Good luck and keep us posted if you can.

Reports can be made to FAA Regional Operations Centers or local
Flight Standards District Offices. Reports can also be made online at www.faa.gov/uas.
2020-9-9
Use props
wsrtoha
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2230236 ft
United States

OK. I've called them, talked to a safety technician. It was more like if I was aware, you didn't do anything bad - just a warning for the 1st time.
BUT...
Since now I had a 1-hour education and they have records that I'm aware of all limitations, restrictions, and guidelines, if I'm caught next time - it would be more severe, with fines, etc.
But at least for today I'm relieved and for sure will be more cautious before flying next time!
2020-9-10
Use props
Parkway Production
lvl.2
Flight distance : 247201 ft
Canada

Thats bad news, your crash that is....I am in Canada and I know that your drone is above 250gr and I also know that you need a 107 if you are making money with it. However the rules in Canada are more strict and any drone that is above 250gr needs a license and you could get fined up to $5K. The FAA wants to know why you crashed into a building. Create a log for your self. Then identify if it was a Human error or a mechanical issue. Report that to the FAA and say that you had an issue and that you realized that you needed to register the drone. Appologize and be thankful that no one got hurt and that you have learned out of this. They should be good with the explenation and you showing that you care. If they go the legal route,....grab a lawyer....btw....get your self some insurance,....you will need it in the future (Hope you never will need it)
P.S: Just seen that you resolved the issue, good to know. Good luck down the road
2020-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules