Active track for the Mini, shame on DJI?
2884 24 2020-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Samoth
lvl.3
Flight distance : 95640 ft
Belgium

Picture this: after DJI said it's impossible to add the active track on the Mini for whatever reason (not smart enough, no sensors,...), a third party app (let's say Litchi) successfully manages to add this flying mode to the Mini after some weeks of development (when DJI had way more time). That would be embarrassing, right?

The only way not to look like fools would be to unlock the feature for the Mini in DJI Fly before any third party app does it first...
2020-9-7
Use props
jonny007
Second Officer
Germany

Oh god
2020-9-7
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Come on Samoth! I am also a Litchi Beta Tester and what you called active track is far far away from being a trustworthy function! If you wanna crash your Mini, go forward with Litchi, I will fly on my own and will have much more fun!
2020-9-7
Use props
Samoth
lvl.3
Belgium

UweE Posted at 9-7 21:49
Come on Samoth! I am also a Litchi Beta Tester and what you called active track is far far away from being a trustworthy function! If you wanna crash your Mini, go forward with Litchi, I will fly on my own and will have much more fun!

Because it's in beta maybe.
There is reason why it wouldn't work properly and DJI knows if very well, but they prefer to promote their more expensive drones...
2020-9-7
Use props
Samoth
lvl.3
Belgium

Why not? They have other smart fly modes that could lead to a crash. And it's not fair penalizing everyone in case some people would crash their drone
2020-9-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Without sensors its not going to be robust.
2020-9-8
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

The mini just doesn’t have the cpu power to do it well.  Just buy Litchi if you wanna do it, and request to be a beta tester.  I can tell you from personnel experience that the results with the mini are less then stellar.  The Spark was a better quad for active track.
2020-9-8
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Hi,
Anyway at some point you have to stop insisting dji to say there wouldn't be any. Litchi will be the only solution and from what I've seen on the beta lychee videos I feel that the follow/active track works better and better. The final version (if it ever arrives lol) promises a good follow-up I hope. Personally if I take lychee for follow-up I will put the propeller protections it will tjrs a little extra security for me er the drone.
2020-9-8
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Samoth Posted at 9-7 21:57
Why not? They have other smart fly modes that could lead to a crash. And it's not fair penalizing everyone in case some people would crash their drone

It won't happen. Using Litchi is your only option.
2020-9-8
Use props
hansoff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50794 ft
United States

I kinda look at it this way.  If you had done your proper research before your purchase you would know ahead of time that the Mini doesn't have active track natively.  You then make an informed decision to buy.  Never buy something in the hope that it will EVENTUALLY have something it currently does not.  There is currently loads of posts and replies to the active track topic all over the internet.  All of which state that the mini will NOT have it from DJI.  There it is.  When I bought it I knew it didn't support it and probably wouldn't.  I made the choice to buy anyway and am happy with it.  I use my Spark for the things the Mini can't and wont do.  It does no good to beat a dead horse over and over.
2020-9-8
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Oracle Miata Posted at 9-8 00:46
The mini just doesn’t have the cpu power to do it well.  Just buy Litchi if you wanna do it, and request to be a beta tester.  I can tell you from personnel experience that the results with the mini are less then stellar.  The Spark was a better quad for active track.

The mini has enough proces power to do anything. Just wait until Litchi release a stable version. There are still in a beta stadium to test the MM.
I used Litchi since phantom 2 vision+, now with my Spark and Mavic Pro. The Spark took also a longer time to fly with LItchi but now you can even fly waypoints with some commands in a waypoint like panorama shot, and all autom.
Soon it will be on the MM too. For MM you can better use Follow me mode then active track.
2020-9-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Samoth Posted at 9-7 21:51
Because it's in beta maybe.
There is reason why it wouldn't work properly and DJI knows if very well, but they prefer to promote their more expensive drones...

No it’s not AT as we now know it. And if dji implemented this there would be uproar about how inferior it is. But well done litchi for trying .
2020-9-8
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

dji_MODDER Posted at 9-8 02:23
The mini has enough proces power to do anything. Just wait until Litchi release a stable version. There are still in a beta stadium to test the MM.
I used Litchi since phantom 2 vision+, now with my Spark and Mavic Pro. The Spark took also a longer time to fly with LItchi but now you can even fly waypoints with some commands in a waypoint like panorama shot, and all autom.
Soon it will be on the MM too. For MM you can better use Follow me mode then active track.

Wrong! 100% of the control process will be handled by the attached smartphone, nothing is within the Mini!
The more powerfull your phone, the better the tracking/following will be.

On my Iphone 8, it is definitively not enough. I am one of the beta testers and
buried my hopes...
In 2021, I will go for a Air2.
2020-9-8
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dji_MODDER Posted at 9-8 02:23
Soon it will be on the MM too. For MM you can better use Follow me mode then active track.

"The mini has enough proces power to do anything." - based on what information? I'm really curious how you know this for a fact.
2020-9-8
Use props
TDZHDTV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2068550 ft
United Kingdom

I still think DJI could have added Spotlight, would be useful for B roll footage.
2020-9-8
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
France

Dirty Bird Posted at 9-8 06:41
The propguards will act as a windsail, plus you'll be in Payload Mode with limited range & altitude.

Hi yes I know but it will be enough for me
2020-9-8
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
France

vortex19 Posted at 9-8 05:36
"The mini has enough proces power to do anything." - based on what information? I'm really curious how you know this for a fact.
Hello,
DroneVerkstedet technicians noted that the processor in charge of the images was an Ambarella H22.  it is capable of producing 4K images at 60 frames per second. Does this mean that DJI has voluntarily restricted the Mavic Mini so that it does not exceed 2.7K to 30 frames per second.
Maybe, but it's not safe at all. It is not certain that the sensor can track. The 40 Mbps throughput at which the Mavic Mini caps is not enough to store 4K/60 - unless of course this flow is also restricted ?
So when you know all this, it's legitimate to ask the question for the rest. Is it a voluntary choice of dji to move to a range above? (for me that's it) or that it's really not possible. It will remain a mystery to everyone that DJI does not give a clear and honest answer to these customers
2020-9-9
Use props
vortex19
lvl.4
United Kingdom

VanzPix Posted at 9-9 03:53
Hello,
DroneVerkstedet technicians noted that the processor in charge of the images was an Ambarella H22.  it is capable of producing 4K images at 60 frames per second. Does this mean that DJI has voluntarily restricted the Mavic Mini so that it does not exceed 2.7K to 30 frames per second.
Maybe, but it's not safe at all. It is not certain that the sensor can track. The 40 Mbps throughput at which the Mavic Mini caps is not enough to store 4K/60 - unless of course this flow is also restricted ?

None of that has anything to do with the main (non-image) processor in the Mini. We can speculate about what we think the processor is capable of but only DJI actually know for certain. The Mini does everything it's advertised to do so it's not as though DJI are denying us something they've promised.
2020-9-9
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
France

vortex19 Posted at 9-9 08:51
None of that has anything to do with the main (non-image) processor in the Mini. We can speculate about what we think the processor is capable of but only DJI actually know for certain. The Mini does everything it's advertised to do so it's not as though DJI are denying us something they've promised.

I absolutely agree
2020-9-9
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Netherlands

vortex19 Posted at 9-8 05:36

Will the DJI Mavic 3 Pro have an Ambarella processor?
This is why, when I first saw the photos of the inside of the DJI Mavic Mini, I got excited as they show that the mini-drone again has an Ambarella processor onboard. To me, this shows that DJI has realized their mistake and went back to what seems to work best in drones, i.e. Ambarella processors.
Does this ‘guarantee’ that the DJI Mavic 3 Pro will have an Ambarella processor on board as well? No, it doesn’t, but I think there is a very good chance it will!

link:
https://dronedj.com/2019/11/27/ambarella-processor-dji-mavic-mini-mavic-3-pro/#:~:text=This%20is%20why%2C%20when%20I,in%20drones%2C%20i.e.%20Ambarella%20processors.

2020-9-9
Use props
Ralle
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11289 ft
Finland

Dirty Bird Posted at 9-7 21:55
DJI didn't include Activetrack because they have enough headaches dealing with rookies who don't have enough sense to know when it's too windy to fly.  Now you want to include rudimentary Activetrack support so some dummy can try tracking themselves mountain biking through the forest?  When you try it with Litchi you are using a third-party app & DJI is spared the bother.

2020-9-9
Use props
fans1cafe718
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230 ft
Canada

DJI didn't include Activetrack because they have enough headaches dealing with rookies who don't have enough sense to know when it's too windy to fly.  Now you want to include rudimentary Activetrack support so some dummy can try tracking themselves mountain biking through the forest?  When you try it with Litchi you are using a third-party app & DJI is spared the bother.

2020-9-9
Use props
ESchimidt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310879 ft
Brazil

Only release this option when the user has 'X' flying feet.
Could?
2020-9-9
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Please correct me if I am wrong with this.  As I understand it, Active Track and some of the other more advanced features on the higher end DJI drones is accomplished by the aircraft itself, whereas in reference to this conversation, Litchi is doing these features on your phone and simply commanding the drone to move in order to perform the function.  This is a huge difference.  Lose the link, and the function fails.  Have any delay in the link from the video link from the drone to the phone and in the command link from the phone to the drone, and the function is somewhat ragged.  And at least according to the specs, there is delay.  Can't say that I have have attempted to time it.  Assuming that I am correct, then the whole argument that the Mini does or does not have the processor power to perform these advanced functions goes out the window because (under Litchi control) the Mini would not be performing the calculations at all.
Frankly, I am not entirely sure I would be trusting a phone to be taking over control of my drone - as opposed to dedicated hardware on the drone taking care of the advanced functions.
Add in the lack of Obstacle Avoidance on the Mini, and it seems like a recepie for crashes.
2020-9-9
Use props
dji_MODDER
First Officer
Netherlands

Gents, update Litchi beta, now panorama and sphere mode added, more is coming.......
2020-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules