16491 79 2020-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

There are no traces of cracks in that area or anywhere else on mine. And I have not been "gentle" with it. It has banged into large bushes twice. However, I do hold the drone bottom or sides when inserting the battery.
2021-3-5
Use props
Ruzhye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795640 ft
United States

I decided to check mine as well.  I have about 51 flights on it, fortunately no cracks that I can see.
2021-3-5
Use props
fanse1f45d7e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 823848 ft
Canada

Well Here I am with only a handfull of flights on a 10 month old ma2 and what do I find? these exact same cracks above the front arm hinges as shown by many of you here! I land in my hand and baby this thing no crash... now what? Is DJI doing anything about this?
2021-3-26
Use props
nikerman71
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59229 ft

Greece

Two probably reasons for cracks,the first is inserting battery contrast a hard surface as a table,second starting motors with closed propelers.
2021-3-27
Use props
julienlife
lvl.2
Flight distance : 149088 ft
Germany

nikerman71 Posted at 3-27 02:22
Two probably reasons for cracks,the first is inserting battery contrast a hard surface as a table,second starting motors with closed propelers.

I highly disagree with your theory.

I never inserted the battery pushing it down on the ground. I always held my drone in the hand when inserting the battery.

Also I Never let the motors swing the props open. I always unfolded them manually by hand prior taking off.

Still these cracks appeared out of nowhere on both of my DJI Mavic Air 2 drones after about 5 flights.

I hate to say it but I never had such BIG issues with my first gen Mavic Pro and I start to regret that I sold it.
2021-3-30
Use props
fansb451a2cf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59229 ft

Greece

julienlife Posted at 3-30 00:37
I highly disagree with your theory.

I never inserted the battery pushing it down on the ground. I always held my drone in the hand when inserting the battery.

Ok maybe some batches with overtightened screws? then we must look for serial numbers.I had a P3 advanced for 5 years and  no cracks at all, now with my MA2, I hope I will get lucky again.
2021-3-31
Use props
borodator
New
Flight distance : 521358 ft
Ukraine

Same here. Never had any crash or hard landing, always carry in Fly More Combo bag and got 2 cracks on both sides. Will contact local dealer today...

2021-4-2
Use props
Fly_Hazr_Air
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56588 ft
United States

SengFeng Posted at 3-4 07:44
I have a theory - unproven as of yet, but seems plausible.  With the way the drone is built, the weight rests on the back of the body, and the front is supported by the extended front legs.  If you insert the battery with the drone sitting on the ground/table/etc, each time you push down, there's going to be extra force exerted on the front leg mounts.

The first time I took my MA2 out of the bag, I noticed that was something of a potential design/function flaw - I've always held the body of the drone in my hand when snapping the battery in.  It wouldn't surprise me that a large number of people simply set the drone down, push the battery in (pushing to make sure the buttons click in place), and over time, get some stress fractures in the housing.

I think it goes beyond just the battery installation.  The power button is on the battery as well.  Even if holding the drone in hand during battery install, usually normal procedure would have the drone on the ground when turning on with the double press of the power button.  Just this simple push of the power button to turn it on/off could be causing stresses on those wing joints.  Out of an abundance of caution, I will start powering mine on and off while in my hand as well.  
2021-4-2
Use props
Mr. Motta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 221906 ft
United States

Thats horrible!
2021-4-2
Use props
djiuser_kaYaZrAMvaOf
New
Flight distance : 430102 ft

Serbia

Hi guys.
Same here, my MA2 has crack on both front arms. No scratches, no crashes, easy landing, flying in normal mode, really taking care when I handle with it. My dealer will replace that upper housing, but DJI should fix this issue in factory, and admit design flaw.
2021-4-11
Use props
pabloditrueba
lvl.2
Flight distance : 275259 ft
Spain

Unfortunately me too… i am waiting for repair service to contact me and send to them. I hope they will take care
2021-4-30
Use props
RedSky119
lvl.4
Canada

I just had a good look at mine. 10 months old, no cracks anywhere so far.
2021-4-30
Use props
LoveYou
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16525367 ft
Greece

any know if air2s have same problems?
2021-4-30
Use props
djiuser_vQoHYP4MAMAr
New

United Kingdom

Same issue for me after around 6 to 8 flights. Severe cracks above the arm hinges appeared after a flight. It was fine when it took off and cracked when it landed (very gently and controlled). No objects collided with, no rough landing.
It is surely a design flaw with that component being too weak
2021-5-17
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

I recently bought a used Air 2 (probably more than 9 months old) and I have more than 8 flights on it already. NO cracks on mine whatsoever. I assume it might be the material used in the newer ones. Possibly not the same as the older batches cuz all the older ones seem to be OK. Hope someone can confirm this and force DJI to replace your drones.
2021-5-18
Use props
IKSDoomsday
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9875 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the same exact cracks... One flight with it. I have been a drone pilot for years and treat my babies with care.  The plastic is coming apart due to stress and vibration.  Mine is less than a month old. I have exactly one flight. One battery usage and I have a major stress crack.... I have owned every DJI product and this air is the first one I have had issues with. Personally... I am going to fix it myself. Just buy a new shell. But for this kind of money it is insane. DJI needs to fix this issue. I do highly doubt it is a safety issue however. The metal is not cracked just the shell.
2021-5-18
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

If you are beyond your warranty, a little super glue will fill those in and that should be the end of it.  I get the indignation of having to deal with these, its lousy manufacturing, but an easy fix.  Or you get a refurb after a long wait if you open a case up.  Up to you.
2021-5-18
Use props
doglaboi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 766234 ft

Suriname

Northwood Posted at 5-18 11:51
If you are beyond your warranty, a little super glue will fill those in and that should be the end of it.  I get the indignation of having to deal with these, its lousy manufacturing, but an easy fix.  Or you get a refurb after a long wait if you open a case up.  Up to you.

Yeah and then since the refurb will be with newer material (which may be the culprit) you'll end up with some more cracks on your replacement.....I use superglue for a lot of repairs. Gorillaglue to the rescue. Just recently repaired a broken gimbal arm of my Mavic Mini.
2021-5-18
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

I was not with my drone earlier when I replied to this topic... however I checked my MA2 out thoroughly this evening, no cracks of any sort.  I purchased it end of May 2020. I have 214 flights so far with this drone.
2021-5-18
Use props
djiuser_1Xk6LosBlijC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2060043 ft
Poland

I sent my MA2 back for warranty because it had such a crack. I wonder whether they are repairing or replacing for a new drone.
2021-5-24
Use props
djiuser_xirzbKYYed2s
New
Flight distance : 120164 ft
United States

I have the same problem. Took my MA2 out of the bag and noticed the stress cracks in the same spot. Sent my drone in for what I thought would be a warranty claim over 2 weeks ago. Received multiple invoices from them (each time a little lower in price). I called 4 times explaining that the drone has seen light use and never crashed. I initially forgot to upload the flight data. So, the firs time I called to tell them that I uploaded it and they said they would review. Every time I've called since they said that they would have someone review it and call me within 24-48 hours. Still waiting DJI....this issue is clearly not caused by pilot error.
2021-5-24
Use props
ptecibhotmail.com
lvl.3
Flight distance : 921824 ft
  • >>>
Canada

julienlife Posted at 3-4 07:56
I also had this thought after I noticed the cracks on my first defective drone. Therefore I was really VERY VERY precautious and careful at inserting the battery when I got my replacement drone. I then always held the drone body with my hand and inserted the battery while holding it.

It lasted for about 6 flights, same cracks, same issue and now I have my third replacement drone.
I had the same stress cracks on my first Mavic Air 2 drone. Sent it back to DJI for repair and they fixed the issue free of charge. I've had my second repaired Mavic Air 2 drone about 3 months, and yesterday I noticed the cracks again on the upper body shell around the front folding landing legs! I never crashed or abused both drones. I always held the drone in my hands when installing the battery and unfolded the props before take off. I think this is a common issue with the Mavic Air 2. I just hope I get the second drone fixed free of charge from DJI! This is crazy!!!!
Mavic Air 2 Stress Crack.jpg Taken May 27 2021 Thursday.jpg
2021-5-27
Use props
djiuser_FfUcftNIxi77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13415 ft
Mauritius

Hi all, having the same problem too, brought my mavic air 2 on the 3rd may 2021, and yesterday 15 juin 2021 i noticed the crack on both side front arms.
IMG_20210615_171749.jpg
IMG_20210615_171805.jpg
IMG_20210616_102754.jpg
2021-6-16
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

Eckonism Posted at 1-12 11:20
Oh my god! After reading this thread i directly examined my MA2 and guess what i found?!? The Drone is from middle of December, only 8 flights done and there is a crack on the exact same position as on @julienlife ! No hard landings or crashes on mine, i always started and landed from hands. The MA2 has been always transported in an complete shell case.......so the question is what to do.....dont care about the crack and fly on or give it back? Maybe bring this issue up to the Law? Like the German "Luftfahrtbundesamt" so they can do there own research in this safety concern?!?

[view_image]

Dang it.  Now I gotta go look at mine when I get home.
2021-6-16
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I have a theory - unproven as of yet, but seems plausible.  With the way the drone is built, the weight rests on the back of the body, and the front is supported by the extended front legs.  If you insert the battery with the drone sitting on the ground/table/etc, each time you push down, there's going to be extra force exerted on the front leg mounts.

The first time I took my MA2 out of the bag, I noticed that was something of a potential design/function flaw - I've always held the body of the drone in my hand when snapping the battery in.  It wouldn't surprise me that a large number of people simply set the drone down, push the battery in (pushing to make sure the buttons click in place), and over time, get some stress fractures in the housing.

I hope your theory is correct...I know I pick mine up and hold the body when replacing batteries.
2021-6-16
Use props
djiuser_FfUcftNIxi77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13415 ft
Mauritius

maihem.rc Posted at 6-16 12:38
I hope your theory is correct...I know I pick mine up and hold the body when replacing batteries.

Me too, i always change the battery, drone on left hand and battery on the right hand. Is there any problems with the materials (plastic) used. Is there any communication from Dji concerning this issue??
2021-6-17
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_FfUcftNIxi77 Posted at 6-17 00:50
Me too, i always change the battery, drone on left hand and battery on the right hand. Is there any problems with the materials (plastic) used. Is there any communication from Dji concerning this issue??

Checked mine last night, no cracks.  DJI isn't all that open with communication on anything concerning their manufacturing, so, no, I have not read anything about this other than this thread.
2021-6-17
Use props
Drone Exploration
lvl.4
Flight distance : 912185 ft
Canada

I have hears of lots of people having problems with the air 2 from stress cracks to loose joysticks. Seems like dji drones have gone down In quality a bit in the past year.....think that I will stay with my mavic air 1 for now
2021-6-20
Use props
Aloshka
lvl.1
United States

That's a plausible cause for cracks. But in my case I always held the drone in my hand before popping in the battery or powering the drone on, though I powered it on a couple of times while on the ground. Yesterday I found cracks on the arm hinges and side cover  in the opposite direction of any potentiol force exerted on the arm, which indicates design flow and low quality plastic are in play. I think the folding mechanism is tearing the drone from the inside. See pic
2021-6-22
Use props
Aloshka
lvl.1
United States

Northwood Posted at 5-18 11:51

I don't think gluing will be the end of it. The plastic used is bad and other components will eventually break ,. Mine broke and cracked from the other side, as shown in the pic
2021-6-22
Use props
Aloshka
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_FfUcftNIxi77 Posted at 6-16 09:13
Hi all, having the same problem too, brought my mavic air 2 on the 3rd may 2021, and yesterday 15 juin 2021 i noticed the crack on both side front arms.

Exact same thing here. I probably had 10 flights with mine, no crashes or incidents. I think the springs in the folding mechanism are tearing apart the hinges.
2021-6-22
Use props
Savage3006
lvl.4
Flight distance : 156709 ft
United States

RedSky119 Posted at 4-30 16:14
I just had a good look at mine. 10 months old, no cracks anywhere so far.

Same here, never unfolded the props installed batteries on hard surfaces and no cracks on my Ma2. Had it since launch last year, must be lucky I guess.
2021-6-22
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Hi all, refresh program getting ready to laps but the problem I have or see is I have my Leopard frog skin on and the choices are do I peel off to inspect with replacment cost or just continue flying! Looking for preyenjoy.
2021-6-23
Use props
Aloshka
lvl.1
United States

3Recon Posted at 6-23 12:52
Hi all, refresh program getting ready to laps but the problem I have or see is I have my Leopard[view_image] frog skin on and the choices are do I peel off to inspect with replacment cost or just continue flying! Looking for preyenjoy.

You can rather feel the crack with your fingers/nails without removing the skin. It's like a little pump.
2021-6-23
Use props
3Recon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4175541 ft
United States

Yes I realize on some the cracks you can fill but some of the hair line  ones my shin maybe keeping it together.
2021-6-23
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Has anybody who stores their drone opened had the cracks?  I think that motion in itself must put pressure on components so I store mine opened in a case 24/7

Nevertheless is totally unacceptable to get those cracks either way
2021-6-23
Use props
Aloshka
lvl.1
United States

Bussty Posted at 6-23 21:27
Has anybody who stores their drone opened had the cracks?  I think that motion in itself must put pressure on components so I store mine opened in a case 24/7

Nevertheless is totally unacceptable to get those cracks either way

I was thinking the same, to store my drone open. The problem is for most of us we go out fly somehwere and transporting it open might break the arms.
2021-6-25
Use props
fans551e5084
lvl.1
Flight distance : 946411 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

Did dji come up with a solution for this production issue?
2022-10-4
Use props
huseyinbelir
lvl.1
Flight distance : 946411 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

Did dji come up with a solution for this production issue?
Services in Turkey do not accept to solve this problem for free

2022-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules