Mavic Mini PHOTO BOMBED by ?Mavic Pro? at Whale-A-Palooza 2020
1086 39 2020-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1929918 ft
United States

There's been a few times now it's freaked me out a little when I watch back my drone videos and see another drone in my frame I had no idea was there at the time.

U can see the other drone come into frame at ~3:33.

Is this something that Remote ID is going to address?! It really would have sucked to collide and loose both drones.. and obviously we were both trying to video the same thing, so it's NOT impossible!  More than anything I DON'T want to litter the ocean or any waters with a downed drone/li-ion battery/pcbs/etc.

Hi-Res Download Link (H.265 333MB): Whale-A-Palooza Montauk 2020!!!
For older systems (H.264 547MB): Whale-A-Palooza Montauk 2020!!!

2020-9-10
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

One down side of operating exclusively Fly By Video - you can't tell what is going on around you.  And of course I have no way of know if you were only FBV.  Granted that in this case you were far enough away that you you may well not have been able to see the other drone with your eyes either.  A good reminder that we need to be aware of what is going on around you.
Cool footage BTW.
2020-9-10
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

K6CCC Posted at 9-10 15:10
One down side of operating exclusively Fly By Video - you can't tell what is going on around you.  And of course I have no way of know if you were only FBV.  Granted that in this case you were far enough away that you you may well not have been able to see the other drone with your eyes either.  A good reminder that we need to be aware of what is going on around you.
Cool footage BTW.

So while I could actually "see" the drone ( as a tiny spec ) I was ABSOLUTELY controlling it FBV... it was way too far away to have any sense of orientation otherwise.
2020-9-10
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Firstly, I'm not sure if such practice is right, ethically speaking. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a member of drone militia squad. But disturbing these magnificent animals with a drone buzzing above ... Who knows what they're hearing with their sensitive navigation sensors ... The other pilot was even less caring, flying just above surface and hunting for YT worthy shot ...

Secondly, it's is unavoidable scenario. However, chances for collision are next to none ...
2020-9-10
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-10 15:36
Firstly, I'm not sure if such practice is right, ethically speaking. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a member of drone militia squad. But disturbing these magnificent animals with a drone buzzing above ... Who knows what they're hearing with their sensitive navigation sensors ... The other pilot was even less caring, flying just above surface and hunting for YT worthy shot ...

Secondly, it's is unavoidable scenario. However, chances for collision are next to none ...

I was very purposefully trying to stay a good distance ABOVE AND TO THE SIDE of the whales so as to avoid any mishaps w/ them snapping up the drone or hitting it with a big spray...

As for noise... I believe more than 95% of sound reflects from the surface of water... and the (MY) Mini is soooo freaking quiet I can fly it within 20-30 feet of people and they don't even know it's there ( One More Cast! ).  I know whales and humans have very different physiology, but I truly don't think the MM bothered them or they even knew it was there...  I also know there were lots people operating boats within 1000' (or less) and I can assure you if there was any sound bothering them it was boats propellors, NOT drones.

Regardless of all that however... I really don't think these whales were using any sonar to feed in this case, just opening their MOUTHS and swimming FULL SPEED AHEAD!!! LOL

Seriously though, I always try to weigh the risks and I NEVER want to harm/injur ANY animals, do damage to or harm the environment in ANY WAY, just caputer its spectacular beauty!!!

I will withold comment on the other pilots actions other than to say I do think it's a bit reckless to have been flying so low a whale could have literally come up and EATEN his drone out of mid air!!!

2020-9-10
Use props
K6CCC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

So while I could actually "see" the drone ( as a tiny spec ) I was ABSOLUTELY controlling it FBV... it was way too far away to have any sense of orientation otherwise.

That was the assumption based on how far away you had to have been.  Even if your toes were in the water, the Mavic would have as you said, only been a dot.
2020-9-10
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

It is a nice video, I have many times filmed whales and dolphins as well. Nice to watch this
2020-9-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Impressive!
2020-9-11
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

Glad you did not collide with the other flyer
2020-9-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amazing footage.  The other drones was quite low though.
2020-9-11
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very impressive footage
2020-9-11
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MontaukDrone Posted at 9-10 15:45
I was very purposefully trying to stay a good distance ABOVE AND TO THE SIDE of the whales so as to avoid any mishaps w/ them snapping up the drone or hitting it with a big spray...

Another excellent video
2020-9-11
Use props
hansoff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50794 ft
United States

Well, that was an experience!  Nice!
2020-9-11
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

Suren Posted at 9-10 21:51
It is a nice video, I have many times filmed whales and dolphins as well. Nice to watch this

Thanks Suren!!!  Very happy you enjoyed it!   So, I have taken my MM on probably 8-10 offshore fishing trips this season and had Whales/Dolphins and all kinds of life around MANY TIMES, but never once, mainly due to wind/weather conditions or other overwhelming factors, was I NOT able to get in a single flight offshore.... just as I was about to give up hope of getting footage like this during this season, the whales literally showed up at my door!!! How could I POSSIBLY resist the opportunity.   I actually feel like having this happen so close to the beach made the shots even MORE interesting cuz U can see all the people on the beach watching in complete awe and amazement!!!
2020-9-11
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

Guorium Posted at 9-11 00:45
Glad you did not collide with the other flyer

You and me BOTH!!!
2020-9-11
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

DAFlys Posted at 9-11 01:05
Amazing footage.  The other drones was quite low though.

It was not really a "close call", but does make me wonder if Remote ID will give us more situational awareness of other fliers in cases like this?
2020-9-11
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

hansoff Posted at 9-11 01:51
Well, that was an experience!  Nice!

Hey hansoff, SO GLAD you enjoyed it!! Thanks so much for watching!
2020-9-11
Use props
djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

Marvellous,,,,i would like to watch the secondary drone video, the guy looks odder than you ,, and to be honest it's my sense of life ,maybe it's common for you ,,but have a whale on my drone target would be a reason to risk it making closer filming, at least i would have emotional video created by myself ... anyway congrats for it ,,, it's a great content
2020-9-11
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf Posted at 9-11 02:54
Marvellous,,,,i would like to watch the secondary drone video, the guy looks odder than you ,, and to be honest it's my sense of life ,maybe it's common for you ,,but have a whale on my drone target would be a reason to risk it making closer filming, at least i would have emotional video created by myself ... anyway congrats for it ,,, it's a great content

Thank you SO MUCH!!!   Yeah, I thought the same about the footage from other drone.

Re. RISK: I have had the privilege of spending lots of time in close proximity to Whales and Dolphins while offshore fishing and they always TRULY amaze me! So intelligent AND powerful... I've just been waiting for the chance to get video like this, and I believe YOU ARE RIGHT in the sense that getting these shots was WORTH THE RISK... I tried to be SUPER CAREFUL and minimize risk... and maybe eventually I will be able to get close shots... but only when I'm in a boat and MUCH better able to see the drone and control things so as NOT to risk any harm,  injury or accidents.
2020-9-11
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fantastic footage
2020-9-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. Thank you for sharing this awesome video you have captured. Nicely done and thank you for your valued support.
2020-9-11
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-11 06:55
Hi. Thank you for sharing this awesome video you have captured. Nicely done and thank you for your valued support.

Hi DJI Paladin... thanks SOOO MUCH and you are MOST WELCOME!!!! Love my Mini!!! Love, love , LOVE IT!!
2020-9-11
Use props
djiuser_RIeSM3mAo5mf
lvl.4
Flight distance : 542083 ft
Spain

MontaukDrone Posted at 9-11 03:16
Thank you SO MUCH!!!   Yeah, I thought the same about the footage from other drone.

Re. RISK: I have had the privilege of spending lots of time in close proximity to Whales and Dolphins while offshore fishing and they always TRULY amaze me! So intelligent AND powerful... I've just been waiting for the chance to get video like this, and I believe YOU ARE RIGHT in the sense that getting these shots was WORTH THE RISK... I tried to be SUPER CAREFUL and minimize risk... and maybe eventually I will be able to get close shots... but only when I'm in a boat and MUCH better able to see the drone and control things so as NOT to risk any harm,  injury or accidents.

Nice to know it,,, it means that you will make more videos about this
2020-9-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

MontaukDrone Posted at 9-11 06:59
Hi DJI Paladin... thanks SOOO MUCH and you are MOST WELCOME!!!! Love my Mini!!! Love, love , LOVE IT!!

You are more than welcome MontaukDrone, we are happy to know you are enjoying your DJI Mavic Mini. Thank you and happy filming.
2020-9-11
Use props
Alevpi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43560 ft
Russia

In which countries, in the laws, there is no direct mention of the need to fly in line of sight?
2020-9-11
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

Alevpi Posted at 9-11 17:49
In which countries, in the laws, there is no direct mention of the need to fly in line of sight?

Not sure, but it is certainly the most restrictive aspect of operating the drone as far as I'm concerned... as soon as there is a practical BVLOS system that I could afford and satisfy the FAA (w/o waivers) I will certainly be looking into THAT.  If I could have, I would have LOVED to fly the drone farther down the beach towards where more whales were moving, but there was no way w/o loosing VLOS
2020-9-12
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Montauk,

Well, that was interesting.  The other drone appears to be a Mavic Pro (or related) as you note but were they operating under a permit?  You do not appear to have been operating under a permit, but then you did not appear to be violating any regulations either - just following common sense rules as appropriate.  The other drone was down a little close but really it is hard to tell with this new technology.

As you note, 100 feet is plenty close enough to get great shots of baleen whales feeding as you provided.  If you notice, the green tinted water patches were fish schools that the whales were feeding on.  There appear to be two adults, most likely the mother and a related aunty, and the juvenile, in the family group, but really it is hard to tell if there were actually two adults or one adult imaged from really different angles under short time constraints.  

That is why our flying cameras are such great tools.  If I had been at the controls (or someone with similar experience - maybe you some day), I could have gotten photo ID quality images of the whales - our cameras are that good!  Cetacean Research is really growing since the introduction of drones.  There are so many opportunities.

Take care and stay safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-9-12
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 9-12 02:32
Aloha Montauk,

Well, that was interesting.  The other drone appears to be a Mavic Pro (or related) as you note but were they operating under a permit?  You do not appear to have been operating under a permit, but then you did not appear to be violating any regulations either - just following common sense rules as appropriate.  The other drone was down a little close but really it is hard to tell with this new technology.

Hello Cetacean!!!

Glad you found it interesting!  Based on the language in your reply I'm assuming you are a researcher?

I would be willing to bet CA$H money that the other drone operator did NOT have any permit.

As a Part 107 pilot I have absolutely NO DESIRE to risk my credentials and my primary concerns during the entire flight were #1 to be a safe flyer and use experience / training / common sense to avoid potential accidents, harm / injury to wildlife or the environment, #2 Violate NO Federal, State, Local laws or regulations, then and ONLY then... #3 try to get some INSANE shots.

I'm not sure how far off the water the other drone was, but to me it appeared to be in a real danger zone.  While you may be able to have some sense of where they might come up next it seems there is NO WAY you can be sure!

I noticed not only the green water patches, but I was using a CPL filter and you can actually SEE the fish in the water they were eating!!   So many fish I think there was more fish than water!!!  It was like a RIVER of bunker off the beach stretching back as far as you could see (and beyond based on info from friends back West on Long Island.)

I'm very impressed with your ability to know they are a family unit, identify sex, etc. which is partly why I'm assuming you are a researcher. Regardless, I REALLY appreciate your insights and I'm going to share them. Thank You!   I do believe there were 2 adults there.

I agree "That is why our flying cameras are such great tools"... seriously... and that is EXACLTY how I think of it... as a tool. An UN-FREAKING-BELIEVEABLY AWESOME tool! As time goes on I'm sure I will invest in drones w/ better optics and possibly get a photo ID quality pic/vid, but since most of my operations are near/over water I'm holding out for better water-proof (preferably floating) drone options.

Thanks again SO MUCH for your informative and insightful contribution to this post! TRULY appreciated!!
2020-9-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fantastic footage.  Glad there was no collision.
2020-9-12
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-12 04:25
Fantastic footage.  Glad there was no collision.

Hey DowntownRDB, thank you very much!!! So glad you enjoyed it!
2020-9-12
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

MontaukDrone Posted at 9-12 04:31
Hey DowntownRDB, thank you very much!!! So glad you enjoyed it!

You're very welcome.  Looking forward to more of your videos, especially if you capture more whale and dolphin footage.  
2020-9-12
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-12 04:40
You're very welcome.  Looking forward to more of your videos, especially if you capture more whale and dolphin footage.

I promise you... I WILL!!!
2020-9-12
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very impressive footage MontaukDrone!! People get a bit bound up with others filming wildlife, but this is something thats been happening for a very long time. Like you, I will withhold any negative comments in regards to the other drone pilot, but I will say that I think you did an excellent job of your three points that you wanted to achieve. Most certainly some insane shots and for that I thank you for sharing!!!
2020-9-12
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

JodyB Posted at 9-12 05:38
Very impressive footage MontaukDrone!! People get a bit bound up with others filming wildlife, but this is something thats been happening for a very long time. Like you, I will withhold any negative comments in regards to the other drone pilot, but I will say that I think you did an excellent job of your three points that you wanted to achieve. Most certainly some insane shots and for that I thank you for sharing!!!

JodyB I truly thank you for your comments!! I am enjoying connecting here with fellow enthusiasts and apparent experts SO MUCH more than I ever anticipated. You're welcome and it's truly my pleasure!  I'm hoping to have more to share in future.
2020-9-12
Use props
The Duck
lvl.4
United States

MontaukDrone,

Whales are awesome creatures, and you did a great job filming them.  Thank you for sharing with us.

As for the photo bomb.  I thought it was fun to see it sneak in.  Maybe he'll show up in the Mavic Pro or Mavic 2 forum and post his whale footage.
2020-9-12
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

The Duck Posted at 9-12 06:38
MontaukDrone,

Whales are awesome creatures, and you did a great job filming them.  Thank you for sharing with us.

Hey Duck... Thank you for watching!!! I'm SO glad you enjoyed it and I really appreciate the encouragement!!  The comedic value of his sneaky little appearance did NOT escape me... I got a really good chuckle when I watched it back the first time and figured others would as well!
2020-9-12
Use props
djiuser_7PPcDfzENEsq
New

Bangladesh

same here :/ !!!!
2020-9-12
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MontaukDrone Posted at 9-11 02:28
It was not really a "close call", but does make me wonder if Remote ID will give us more situational awareness of other fliers in cases like this?

It will probably be private between flyers for their privacy and visible to law enforcement only.
2020-9-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

MontaukDrone Posted at 9-12 04:21
Hello Cetacean!!!

Glad you found it interesting!  Based on the language in your reply I'm assuming you are a researcher?

Aloha Montauk,

Now, think about what you just said (many people do not).  You agreed that the whales were feeding and that your filters allowed you to see individual fish.  There were many spaces in the water where there were no fish (dark areas).  Since the whales were feeding, it is highly unlikely that they would surface in an area where there were no fish.  

The whales were lunge feeding, so they would not come out of the water more than a third of their body length (60 feet / 3 = 20 feet) but 20 feet is way too close and requires a permit.  This was also lunge feeding, not breaching (where they come out as much as 100% of their body length).  

If you come across a similar situation in the near future, and remember my comments, you will be able to find "safe zones" in the dark "deep" waters without fish.  And after you fly to the dark area, if you face the greenest fish schools, you will eventually get a feeder come to the surface.  So, when you are up high, look for the biggest green patches and then head for the darkest blue patches (for safety) near by.  Fly to the spot.  Center yourself in the dark area, and face the darkest green area.  You will be rewarded.

Take care and be safe!

Aloha and Drone On!
2020-9-13
Use props
MontaukDrone
Second Officer
United States

Cetacean Posted at 9-13 02:26
Aloha Montauk,

Now, think about what you just said (many people do not).  You agreed that the whales were feeding and that your filters allowed you to see individual fish.  There were many spaces in the water where there were no fish (dark areas).  Since the whales were feeding, it is highly unlikely that they would surface in an area where there were no fish.  

OK Cetacean..  I got you. I was not grasping the point of your comment in that regard. That is FANTASTIC ADVICE and I truly appreciate it!!
2020-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules