Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Best Performing Carbon Props for Platinum?
740 10 2020-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Wookiee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8924 ft
Australia

Just like the title says, I am looking some prop upgrades for a Mavic Pro Platinum ones which are guaranteed by user testing to be reliable and safe, good performing over the original quiet props. Mostly looking into carbon for the weight reduction and rigidity which I guess is why you would use them?

I don't want some Amazon junk okay, only the best of the best gear goes on my drone so what is available, I am Australian btw I would prefer not ordering from the USA or out of the country if I can.

P.S Instead of a new thread, any tips for weight increase to help with particularly stronger winds say 40-42kmh gusts.
2020-9-11
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

I tend to agree with Dirty Bird. I've tried a few of the best carbon ones and never found any measurable difference, and some were even worse.. The DJI Quiet props are measurably a bit better than the standard ones though. After using different carbon fibre props, I've come to believe aftermarket props are mostly just a marketing gimmick that's easy to sell because most everyone is hoping for an upgrade that will be be so simple to install as new props.
2020-9-11
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I am looking some prop upgrades for a Mavic Pro Platinum
Mostly looking into carbon for the weight reduction and rigidity which I guess is why you would use them?

1.  To be an upgrade, they would have to perform better in some measurable way.
2.  Despite the common assumption that paying more for something in shiny carbon fibre automatically makes it better, you won't be upgrading (see #1)

P.S Instead of a new thread, any tips for weight increase to help with particularly stronger winds say 40-42kmh gusts.

I'm tempted to suggest strapping a brick to the drone.
That would help resist wind gusts.
Contrary to popular belief, the weight of the drone is not the key to wind resistance.
Adding weight would just make your drone slower to respond to wind changes and reduce flight time and performance.

The drone's speed is what is important.
If you are flying with obstacle avoidance enabled, that reduces the drone's top speed.
Switch off OA and you increase the available speed.

A wind of 42 km/h is (just) flyable but if it is gusty, you can expect the drone to jump around a little just as a car has a bumpy ride on a rough dirt road.

2020-9-11
Use props
The Wookiee
lvl.2
Australia

Thanks all of you
I just had some people tell me carbon was a thing and some people swear by certain ones etc.. but I too have seen video's of people trying aftermarket props even quality ones but get measurably no difference or minimal at best.

Oh yes right OA off I tend to fly with it on as I tend to do a lot of close proximity passes but sure I mean sure if the wind picks up and I need to fight it turning it off would help along with keeping it in S mode.
I have personally flown in about 45kmh have not tried to fly any higher than that it had a little drift at that speed which you can combat if you are choosing to fly with the wind not smashing the side of the drone.

I have still yet to do anything too crazy like there is this great canyon nearby but I feel the canyon would incur additional wind as than what say the UAV hyper local weather would say for the area due to the wind rushingaround the mountain and down the canyon so I have not yet let it go from ground level and fly over the sheer some 80m drop (yet..) I was  waiting for a better day when the ground wind was more like 15-20kmh at say 100m.

I was just curious guys so thanks for the advice.
2020-9-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The Wookiee Posted at 9-11 19:48
Thanks all of you  
I just had some people tell me carbon was a thing and some people swear by certain ones etc.. but I too have seen video's of people trying aftermarket props even quality ones but get measurably no difference or minimal at best.

One thing to bear in mind is most alleged 'fly-aways' are actually blow-aways and caused by flying the aircraft in wind conditions greater than it is capable of.
2020-9-11
Use props
The Wookiee
lvl.2
Australia

Geebax Posted at 9-11 20:16
One thing to bear in mind is most alleged 'fly-aways' are actually blow-aways and caused by flying the aircraft in wind conditions greater than it is capable of.

Well, personally I think you would have to be kinda mental to fly the Mavic upwards of 50kmh wind. Absolute max I think I ever flew it was like 45kmh but that was gusts not average wind, the average wind was more like 32.

I do try to be pretty careful with this thing, only a month into flying have had 4 successful flights now with Litchi routes I have made myself and a dozen or so flights with the normal app, my general outlook so far has been if I am scared that the drone is not going make it I just don't do it while at the same time I try new things I am comfortable to resort to a reasonable failsafe plan if it goes wrong.

Even with Litchi I never just presume the mission will go fine and not pay attention, I watch it like a hawk for every new test flight I make and only really relax a bit more to chat to people when I already know its going to complete it just fine or its well above anything it can possibly hit then I am just looking to spot the drone and checking the data every so often with the speech turned on as well.

I don't know, I mean I too have seen horror stories of people flying but most of them I saw they were just being reckless in the first place and not really paying attention at all, like with litchi esp if I am asking it to go under objects and things or behind a piller I usually manually go out there first and just verify by hand if I am anywhere near the ball park height numbers to clear whatever it is, then I let the mission run and just watch the drone carefully ready to rapid abort I am particularly wary when the drone is going sideways towards things or backwards or any where the vision sensor is not looking and I try to stay the hell away from offshoot branches its not the the risk to fly into a stupid twig to me going forwards tho I watch it but I allow much more tolerance before I abort because I know most of the time if vision sensors are on its not going to really smack into anything semi thick going down or forward and it beeps at me well before it even gets within whisker range, that has happened not going to lie everyone I think has had a few tight moments but is that not part of learning to pilot and learning the hardware, I argue it is. in such cases I fly it back manually land fine tune the waypoints at needed location and pending battery levels give it a fresh tank and send it back out seems safe enough to me. Just to clarify I don't intentionally try to fly into anything am just more relaxed about letting the hardware be smart and if it really looks like its not going to save it self or I simply don'y trust it because wind speed or whatever I abort manually when it goes not to plan.

Though yeah I just never actually try to fly it into a strong headwind or any of that stuff I keep al my flights in wind under 47kh gusts and lower the better I do try to fly in varied conditions though otherwise will never learn how it handles.
2020-9-12
Use props
Larry+DarrelX2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 881798 ft
United States

Also, i believe using aftermarket props and batteries void the warranty or any refresh claim. Best to stick with DJI branded equipment unless you have an older model unit and just want to play around.
2020-9-12
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

The originals are the best.
2020-9-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there The Wookiee. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. As posted by Dirty Bird on post #2 and Woe on post #12. It would be best to use the original DJI propellers on your DJI Mavic Pro Platinum for reliability and compatibility purposes.  Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories like specially 3rd party propellers on your DJI Mavic Pro Platinum. There is a  possibility that these propellers will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability and the stability of the said accessory when in use. Thank you.
2020-9-13
Use props
The Wookiee
lvl.2
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-13 19:39
Hello there The Wookiee. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. As posted by Dirty Bird on post #2 and Woe on post #12. It would be best to use the original DJI propellers on your DJI Mavic Pro Platinum for reliability and compatibility purposes.  Just a reminder that DJI do not recommend you to use a 3rd party accessories like specially 3rd party propellers on your DJI Mavic Pro Platinum. There is a  possibility that these propellers will work, however, since it's not tested by DJI we cannot guaranteed the reliability and the stability of the said accessory when in use. Thank you.

I am inclined to think the same as everyone else here, but it never hurt to ask, I was just told carbon was the way to go I had my little red flags turn up and figure I should ask and not install anything unless there was a solid reason too use something not officially supported for the most crucial function of the drone.

I also believe like others that it will void my care package.
Thanks again all for the feedback, I will stick to the first party props.
2020-9-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

The Wookiee Posted at 9-14 04:10
I am inclined to think the same as everyone else here, but it never hurt to ask, I was just told carbon was the way to go I had my little red flags turn up and figure I should ask and not install anything unless there was a solid reason too use something not officially supported for the most crucial function of the drone.

I also believe like others that it will void my care package.

Hi there The Wookiee. Thank you for the reply and If you have any other inquiries with DJI. Kindly please post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. Thank you.
2020-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules