Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can someone who has both smart and standard controller help me?
616 10 2020-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Hoping someone who has both smart and regular controllers can tell me if they get better range with one controller over the other. I only have the smart controller, but I get better range with my old Mavic Pro, than I do with my Mavic 2 Pro with smart controller. Do you think the problem is with my smart controller or with my drone?
2020-9-11
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Canada

Just an FYI on my problem. I get about 20% more range with my old Mavic Pro before weak signal warning messages first appear, and if I really push to the limit, I can fly almost 30% further with the old Mavic Pro before it auto returns home than with the M2P.
2020-9-11
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

make sure you are updated to the latest sw
2020-9-11
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Canada

The Saint Posted at 9-11 19:35
make sure you are updated to the latest sw

Because range has been an issue for me, I upgraded my M2P and controller to the the Aug 7 version as soon as it came out. The new FW promises better range so I was excited, but it didn't help on a measurable scale.
2020-9-11
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

Hi Trevor,

a lot depends on the angle of the antenna. Point down in a 90 degree angle the antenna of the SC. If the drone is over your head point the antenna upwards to have the best result.

see also this video of DJI about best practise of antenna usage.  I mostly do photography, so no need to have really very long range. In Iceland I have send my M2P out for about 1 km over a gletcher using the SC. All transmissing went perfect.

2020-9-12
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Canada

JohnDG Posted at 9-12 02:28
Hi Trevor,

a lot depends on the angle of the antenna. Point down in a 90 degree angle the antenna of the SC. If the drone is over your head point the antenna upwards to have the best result.

Thanks for the video. It made me feel smart as I already knew it’s info. I bet it’s beautiful in Iceland.  My family has a cabin and we waterski on a secluded lake in Canada. I use my drone to film waterskiing videos. I prefer to film from shore rather than being in the boat, but that requires the range I get with the old Mavic Pro. I like the camera better on my newer Mavic 2 Pro, so I have to choose between better range, or better camera each time.
2020-9-12
Use props
raven swe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 517936 ft
Sweden

I get pretty much the same range with either controller
2020-9-12
Use props
JohnDG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1097270 ft
Belgium

TrevorSK Posted at 9-12 06:48
Thanks for the video. It made me feel smart as I already knew it’s info. I bet it’s beautiful in Iceland.  My family has a cabin and we waterski on a secluded lake in Canada. I use my drone to film waterskiing videos. I prefer to film from shore rather than being in the boat, but that requires the range I get with the old Mavic Pro. I like the camera better on my newer Mavic 2 Pro, so I have to choose between better range, or better camera each time.

Hi Trevor,

I thought the output power is even more in the US & Canada than it is in Europe. DJI boosted the transmission upto a range of 8 km with the latest firmware. You should get at least 6 to 7 km range. And on a lake you don't have much obsticles between your drone and the controller. That should be even better, I guess. I though the occusync 2.0 of the M2P is much more stable than occusync 1.0 of the MP.

About what range are you talking when you say you have problems with the reception ?
2020-9-12
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Canada

JohnDG Posted at 9-12 08:12
Hi Trevor,

I thought the output power is even more in the US & Canada than it is in Europe. DJI boosted the transmission upto a range of 8 km with the latest firmware. You should get at least 6 to 7 km range. And on a lake you don't have much obsticles between your drone and the controller. That should be even better, I guess. I though the occusync 2.0 of the M2P is much more stable than occusync 1.0 of the MP.

My newer M2P: At the lake, about 2 km... In the city, about 1 km
My older M1P: At the lake, about 3 km... In the city, abou 1.3 km
When my old M1P was new it could go about 6 km in ideal conditions. Even it is about half what it used to be.. starting to wonder if we're getting European FW in Canada now instead of US version FW.
2020-9-12
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Canada

JohnDG Posted at 9-12 08:12
Hi Trevor,

I thought the output power is even more in the US & Canada than it is in Europe. DJI boosted the transmission upto a range of 8 km with the latest firmware. You should get at least 6 to 7 km range. And on a lake you don't have much obsticles between your drone and the controller. That should be even better, I guess. I though the occusync 2.0 of the M2P is much more stable than occusync 1.0 of the MP.

My newer M2P: At the lake, about 2 km... In the city, about 1 km
My older M1P: At the lake, about 3 km... In the city, abou 1.3 km
When my old M1P was new it could go about 6 km in ideal conditions. Even it is about half what it used to be.. starting to wonder if we're getting European FW in Canada now instead of US version FW.
2020-9-12
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there TrevorSK. Thank you for reaching out and for these information you have shared with us. Can you please fly your DJI drone to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist? The said DJI drone might have picked up magnetic interference on the ground, and you took off from close to a buildings with rebar concrete metal objects on it. Please try to follow the DJI Video posted by JohnDG on post #5 for us to be able to isolate the said issue. Thank you.
2020-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules