10985 81 2020-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJIBuba
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78330 ft
United States

Hi there,
I have been flying the mavic air 2 for a couple of months and have become proficient at most of the things you can do. One of the main reasons I bought it is to be able to follow motorcycles offroad and so far I have been unsucessful. I have tried a couple different bikes and clothing so I don't think it is related to that.
It is impossible to make the drone recognize the motorcycle as a vehicle. It will keep giving me the message that it is only able to track people or vehicles. I have to be extremely close to be able to detect it and it is only some times. Even in the rare occasions that it does lock onto it, it will lose it the moment it starts moving away slowly.
Is it something I am doing wrong or hardware issue with this unit?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

2020-9-12
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

IMG_4440.jpg
2020-9-12
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

I have tried from every angle and distance I can think of. I have gone through several batteries trying to make it work...
2020-9-12
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hmmm, interesting. I've not tried with anything other than a person or car/truck. That makes me curious about the issue you are experiencing DJIBub. I wonder if the same issue would persist across other types of vehicles, like atv/utv, side by sides, boats, etc.
2020-9-12
Use props
MisterFrag
Second Officer
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

That seems odd given that DJI’s promotional videos feature dirt bikes and mountain bikes. I don’t ride motorcycles and have no way of easily testing this myself, but have you tried making the box around the subject bigger, i.e. include more of the background?
2020-9-12
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

MisterFrag Posted at 9-12 05:54
That seems odd given that DJI’s promotional videos feature dirt bikes and mountain bikes. I don’t ride motorcycles and have no way of easily testing this myself, but have you tried making the box around the subject bigger, i.e. include more of the background?

I will give that a try and see what happens. Thanks!
2020-9-12
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

JodyB Posted at 9-12 05:41
Hmmm, interesting. I've not tried with anything other than a person or car/truck. That makes me curious about the issue you are experiencing DJIBub. I wonder if the same issue would persist across other types of vehicles, like atv/utv, side by sides, boats, etc.

I have done only people other than try our motorcycles with some friends. It locks okay into people looks like. I will have to try other vehicles and see what happens. Thanks
2020-9-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Great Bike!

I haven`t tried to track myself on my bike, have to do that once  ;-)

Happy many landings
cheers
JJB
2020-9-12
Use props
Joe Foreman
lvl.3
Australia

Things I would try:

- a smaller box just focused on me whilst already on the bike
- move away from the bike and set the box around me (try side and front perspectives), and THEN get on the bike.
- stand next to the bike to ensure a clear person silhouette is recognised from the front, then get on the bike
- attempt with a plain, non detailed background such as a white wall, to help the algorithm understand what it the feature target

Good luck mate.
2020-9-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Looking at the photo you posted, I have a little difficulty determing the outline of the bike and rider, so I imagine the camera is having the same difficulty. It does not stand out against that cluttered background, and the colours and tonal qualities are the same as the background.
2020-9-12
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 9-12 18:57
Looking at the photo you posted, I have a little difficulty determing the outline of the bike and rider, so I imagine the camera is having the same difficulty. It does not stand out against that cluttered background, and the colours and tonal qualities are the same as the background.

I thought the same thing. But he did say he had tried many variations.
2020-9-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GaryDoug Posted at 9-12 19:19

Perhaps he should put on a hi-vis vest and see if that improves the detection.
2020-9-12
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 9-12 18:57

Yes, I thought my color motorcycle and gear could be the problem until I tried my friend’s who has a white bike and a different color jacket that really stands out from that background and had the same results. I kind of ruled out that as the issue then.
2020-9-13
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 9-12 20:50
Perhaps he should put on a hi-vis vest and see if that improves the detection.

Geebax, see my other replies.  I have ruled out colors since I have tried different color bikes and outfit with same results
2020-9-13
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 9-12 19:19

Yep! You got it. Colors and contrast I don’t think is the issue. My only thought is the shape of these big adventure bikes because we have cases and panniers hanging on them and might be throwing a curve ball.
2020-9-13
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

Joe Foreman Posted at 9-12 17:38
Things I would try:

- a smaller box just focused on me whilst already on the bike

Joe, those are great ideas. Just a day or two ago trying to research and find people that use the active track with motorcycles came across a couple of YouTube videos where they either focus on the person or the bike and then go on the bike to get tracked. That could be a possible solution I will be trying as soon as I can and see what happens. Thanks for the ideas
2020-9-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there DJIBuba. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we know what is the model of the mobile device you are using please? There are two modes of Activetrack 3.0. Move the roll stick to circle the subject, move the pitch stick to alter the distance from the subject, move the throttle stick to change the altitude, and move the pan stick to adjust the frame. Thank you.

2020-9-13
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-13 20:33
Hello there DJIBuba. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. May we know what is the model of the mobile device you are using please? There are two modes of Activetrack 3.0. Move the roll stick to circle the subject, move the pitch stick to alter the distance from the subject, move the throttle stick to change the altitude, and move the pan stick to adjust the frame. Thank you.

[view_image]

Using iPhone 11 Pro.
I have tried modifying distance, altitude and angle as I mentioned and I am only to make it recognize once in a blue moon when I am really close and from the side.
2020-9-13
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-13 20:33

[view_image]

Not sure I understand this part: "There are two modes of Activetrack 3.0. Move the roll stick to circle the subject, move the pitch stick to alter the distance from the subject, move the throttle stick to change the altitude, and move the pan stick to adjust the frame"
What do you mean about the two modes and can I change them? The rest I imagine you mention after it has lock into the target which is what I am having trouble with making it do that. If I ever lock in the target and modify distance it will lose the target pretty soon
2020-9-13
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

UPDATE: I made sure all updates were done. I went out to a more open area for more angles, distances and possibilities. I got excited because on the first try at a midrange distance it detected me from the back although as a person. it loses track right away and doesn't follow at all. Detection mostly doesn't work and has to be really close and from the side. As soon as I start moving away very slow it loses me. I tried the suggestions I got about smaller and bigger boxes, distances and angles. As I mentioned, from the side and really close seems to be the other way. Even if I box myself and then get on the bike most times it loses me as soon as I get on it. It is never able to follow more than 3-5 seconds tops always at low speeds even if by chance it locks on me. I really think there is something wrong with this drone. Calling service tomorrow since I only got it 3 months ago. I wish I got the pro.
2020-10-7
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19147 ft
United Kingdom

My own experience is that you have to be further away and there is an optimal size of the tracking object. I was playing with this over last weekend and  found that the object should be quite small. The attached video shows the optimum for mine, and closer (or further away) would fail to capture the track

2020-10-7
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

Martin Lines Posted at 10-7 22:41
My own experience is that you have to be further away and there is an optimal size of the tracking object. I was playing with this over last weekend and  found that the object should be quite small. The attached video shows the optimum for mine, and closer (or further away) would fail to capture the track

Boating

That's really cool! If I try from far away it never recognizes the target as a vehicle or person and therefore will not allow you to follow. I can only use point of view or POI.
2020-10-7
Use props
VanzPix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 229672 ft
France

Hello, I don't have the Mavic air 2 yet, but on YouTube there are a lot of activetrack videos on motorcycles and it works fine it's pretty strange that it doesn't work for you.
https://youtu.be/w4df0Ta5VIo
2020-10-7
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

VanzPix Posted at 10-7 23:30
Hello, I don't have the Mavic air 2 yet, but on YouTube there are a lot of activetrack videos on motorcycles and it works fine it's pretty strange that it doesn't work for you.
https://youtu.be/w4df0Ta5VIo

Yes, I had seen those and saw how it worked before I bought it and a big reason why I bought it. I believe there is just something wrong with this one. We will see what DJI says
Thanks!
2020-10-8
Use props
ZeuS-FL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5782297 ft
  • >>>
United States

I read somewhere only works with Japanese bikes !!
2020-10-8
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

2020-10-8
Use props
djiuser_JgEwjEtQu7nq
New
New Zealand

I have the same problem trying to track myself kite buggying on the beach. It locks onto me then as soon as I jump on the buggy and take off it just loses me, when I turn around and come back it sometimes picks me up but won't ever follow. When I ditch the kite and stand and go through process to lock onto me I can walk around all day and it will follow. If I try sit in the buggy and lock in active track it says 'NO your not a person or car!' Wtf!?
2020-10-11
Use props
djiuser_JgEwjEtQu7nq
New
New Zealand

Im guessing this technology has a long way to go yet? Like what the hell are you supposed to do with the controller while getting tracked? I dropped mine into the camera case around my neck and flew without the controller knobs on so there's no bumping of controls...theres alot going on when managing a drone while flying an 11 metre kite, even in a buggy (which is the easy part) it should just work, but the tech is a let down. Maybe should be called a 'lilly'
2020-10-11
Use props
Alfac
lvl.1
Flight distance : 215768 ft
United Kingdom

It took a couple of attempts to recognise me on my KTM, but worked no problem once I'd got the distance and box around me to the app's liking. Followed me just fine but had to remember to take it a bit easy so drone could keep up.
2020-10-12
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

note to self:  use skydio 2 drone to track myself on the motorcycle
2020-10-12
Use props
harleyMike
New

United States

I'm having the same issues with my Harley's. Ever get it figured out why it wasn't working for you? I got it to follow me a little ways by tracking myself and hopping on the bike, but it ended up losing me and when I came back, it was unable to track me using Trace.
2021-1-10
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Haven't been able to try this myself as the weather hasn't been ideal (too cold/icy or rainy) but wondering if speed is a factor once locked? Are you going fast, or just slowly picking up speed? I've watched a few videos of boats and cars and do agree, it seems the distance between the vehicle and drone is not near but not far either, maybe more than 75 feet or so. Reading some of the feedback comments of the videos, tracking doesn't stick long either.  

Obviously you mentioned you've tried color variations, are you using any ND filters and what mode or settings(auto, ISO, manual, etc) is being used?
2021-1-10
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

harleyMike Posted at 1-10 09:19
I'm having the same issues with my Harley's. Ever get it figured out why it wasn't working for you? I got it to follow me a little ways by tracking myself and hopping on the bike, but it ended up losing me and when I came back, it was unable to track me using Trace.

HarleyMike,
I tried everything possible and contacted support. They had me road all software and firmware. Nothing seems to work. Doing some digging, it looks to me like the algorithm to recognize the object is just limited. I have gotten to lock on me a couple of times but never too long and not very good results with it. I ended up getting a mavic 2. I wanted to because some extra features it it also seems that the tracking capabilities are far superior in that one and cans follow the remote. I wish they would have put some of that in the air 2 since I like the controls better and makes it really nice with the size to pack it in the motorcycle. Good luck and let me know if you ever figure anything out. Thanks
2021-1-10
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

RobZilla Posted at 1-10 10:07
Haven't been able to try this myself as the weather hasn't been ideal (too cold/icy or rainy) but wondering if speed is a factor once locked? Are you going fast, or just slowly picking up speed? I've watched a few videos of boats and cars and do agree, it seems the distance between the vehicle and drone is not near but not far either, maybe more than 75 feet or so. Reading some of the feedback comments of the videos, tracking doesn't stick long either.  

Obviously you mentioned you've tried color variations, are you using any ND filters and what mode or settings(auto, ISO, manual, etc) is being used?

Robzilla,
I have tried with and without filters, auto manual and any combination I could think of. I have gone through quite a few batteries playing with it. As I told harleyMike, I pretty much gave up because I believe it is just their algorithm in their software. I ended up getting the mavic 2 since i wanted some of the other features that one has too for video and photography. I am still holding on to the air 2 since I do like the drone and sometimes I like the easiness and size of that drone better than the pro
2021-1-10
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good to hear DJIBuba! Will give this a try once the weather clears up for me. I bought the MA2 for some of the adventure trips on the motorcycle as well, so learning and wanted to expand my arsenal. I agree the DJI products seem suited when it comes to videos and photos. I would like to get the Skydio 2 for tracking but it's not ideal when it comes to ordering (backlog) and portability (non-folding). Will keep an eye on this thread and post my results/feedback once I get back on the wheels.
2021-1-10
Use props
Seattle_Scott
lvl.2
United States

JodyB Posted at 2020-9-12 05:41

I've tracked boats. No problem. It can't however track a dog. I've tried a number of times. No dog tracking for sure. Not sure about other animals.
2021-1-10
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

RobZilla Posted at 1-10 11:23
Good to hear DJIBuba! Will give this a try once the weather clears up for me. I bought the MA2 for some of the adventure trips on the motorcycle as well, so learning and wanted to expand my arsenal. I agree the DJI products seem suited when it comes to videos and photos. I would like to get the Skydio 2 for tracking but it's not ideal when it comes to ordering (backlog) and portability (non-folding). Will keep an eye on this thread and post my results/feedback once I get back on the wheels.

Yes, I like the sky dio for tracking but don’t like the availability or price. Also, I am into photography and video and doing only the tracking good is not everything to me. I like having filters, lenses control and things like that. A video is more than just following. The air 2 has some cool capabilities of doing some great shots without having to be based only in the tracking, that is only one tool. It is a great drone in my opinion and excellent quality. To me it is probably the best bang for your buck. Have fun with it!
2021-1-10
Use props
DJIBuba
lvl.2
United States

Seattle_Scott Posted at 1-10 11:31
I've tracked boats. No problem. It can't however track a dog. I've tried a number of times. No dog tracking for sure. Not sure about other animals.

You are right. You cannot track animals or kids. Algorithm limits you to vehicles or adult people. You can do some bigger kids but it will have a harder time locking as well.
2021-1-10
Use props
djiuser_R2cANNi9GVrF
New

Mexico

I have used active track as crazy, tracking little cars, me on a scooter, following my kids, my car etc. but today I tried to follow an ATV but never worked, then I tried to follow me and same issue not sure if something on the software had changed. Really sad. Same message unable to switch target.
2021-3-6
Use props
djiuser_MFdxshDjj4qV
New

United States

DJIBuba Posted at 2020-10-7 21:56
UPDATE: I made sure all updates were done. I went out to a more open area for more angles, distances and possibilities. I got excited because on the first try at a midrange distance it detected me from the back although as a person. it loses track right away and doesn't follow at all. Detection mostly doesn't work and has to be really close and from the side. As soon as I start moving away very slow it loses me. I tried the suggestions I got about smaller and bigger boxes, distances and angles. As I mentioned, from the side and really close seems to be the other way. Even if I box myself and then get on the bike most times it loses me as soon as I get on it. It is never able to follow more than 3-5 seconds tops always at low speeds even if by chance it locks on me. I really think there is something wrong with this drone. Calling service tomorrow since I only got it 3 months ago. I wish I got the pro.

I have the same issue.  Nearly impossible to get the box to lock on a rider sitting on a dirt bike.  If I get lucky after multiple attempts and I get it to recognize bike and rider.  It will lose rider before the rider has traveled 30'.  Open desert, no tree's, starting an a ridge.  
2021-3-12
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules