OM 4 and Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
5571 15 2020-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Wookiee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8924 ft
Australia

I guess I should have looked closer before buying the gimble but in fine print in the manual it doesn't support shutter, iso or , EV with my phone those settings are only supported with IOS which to me is kind of BS to not think think about one of the top flagship phones to date which perform really well for everything photography and video.

Essentially the mimo app is useless for anything professional for me unless I use it just to steady my camera while filming or shooting with the native camera app but then the Gimbles buttons don't correspond too what you think they do such as the record button actually zooms..

So I can't even use this Gimbles key pad to control the native Samsung camera app.

I wish they get this updated in the future.
2020-9-13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing
2020-9-14
Use props
The Wookiee
lvl.2
Australia

A J Posted at 9-14 14:10
Thanks for sharing

Quick update.
Gimble buttons can be fixed in the Samsung Camera app by changing the volume key action mine was set to zoom so in reality the shutter button on the Osmo is sending a volume up command too the Android device this I was in bed at least able to use the shutter.

Rotation and all that still works I don't think zoom on side does anything and the M key I think cycled modes in the native camera but unfortunately no the DJI all features cannot be used so the only use the gimble has on Android is to self steady and aim your shots like a Tripod no fancy actions.

I'll be letting DJI know about this separately as this thing costs a lot in Australia some $200 plus.
2020-9-14
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Wookiee Posted at 9-14 18:59
Quick update.
Gimble buttons can be fixed in the Samsung Camera app by changing the volume key action mine was set to zoom so in reality the shutter button on the Osmo is sending a volume up command too the Android device this I was in bed at least able to use the shutter.

2020-9-14
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

So one of the biggest reasons for the lack of Android support is that each release of a phone gets a new OS version which DJI would have to re-code all their software for. The iOS software stays consistent with version updates but the core OS stays the same. Hope this makes sense but I think this is why Android support lacks a bit compared to the iOS platform.
2020-9-15
Use props
The Wookiee
lvl.2
Australia

Cavu Films Posted at 9-15 08:32
So one of the biggest reasons for the lack of Android support is that each release of a phone gets a new OS version which DJI would have to re-code all their software for. The iOS software stays consistent with version updates but the core OS stays the same. Hope this makes sense but I think this is why Android support lacks a bit compared to the iOS platform.

It makes sense, I'm a former app developer myself these days I spend my time trying startup a new hobby and potential business with flying.

The core Android OS stays relatively the same as well though thats what the Android API and Google API is for however if you're significant versions behind it can be tedious to either update or maintain reliability with older versions as you leave workarounds in place, so I think you meant you say is that iOS is more stable in terms of its core code they don't do a lot of major refractors to the core between say version 10 and 13

Which yeah as much as I love my Android because of hardware it's not quite there yet with the experience between device's as iOS and I can see why they wouldn't want to be as commited but the fact remains in my eyes they are advertising the product with iOS and Android support and should be at least partnering with Google and Samsung for supporting flagships.
2020-9-15
Use props
Cavu Films
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Wookiee Posted at 9-15 08:42
It makes sense, I'm a former app developer myself these days I spend my time trying startup a new hobby and potential business with flying.

The core Android OS stays relatively the same as well though thats what the Android API and Google API is for however if you're significant versions behind it can be tedious to either update or maintain reliability with older versions as you leave workarounds in place, so I think you meant you say is that iOS is more stable in terms of its core code they don't do a lot of major refractors to the core between say version 10 and 13

I totally agree and I wish DJI spend more R&D time allowing both OS's to be fully functional. I'm sure it was a business decision from higher up. When I got my OM2 I had an Android and I actually swapped it for an iPhone so I could use all the features. I'm a PC, Mac, and Android guy so it wasn't a big deal for me but for some it might be. So I use my iPhone for my OM2 and now OM4 and use a Samsung Tablet for my Mavic 2 Pro.
2020-9-15
Use props
The Wookiee
lvl.2
Australia

Cavu Films Posted at 9-15 10:00
I totally agree and I wish DJI spend more R&D time allowing both OS's to be fully functional. I'm sure it was a business decision from higher up. When I got my OM2 I had an Android and I actually swapped it for an iPhone so I could use all the features. I'm a PC, Mac, and Android guy so it wasn't a big deal for me but for some it might be. So I use my iPhone for my OM2 and now OM4 and use a Samsung Tablet for my Mavic 2 Pro.

Then there is me, I've only ever had Android either Sony or Samsung and PC.
I dabbled in Linux for a short while ultimately going back to PC just not going to buy a new phone especially not a flagship iOS just to use the OM4

The DJI drone apps and litchi hell even drone link work fine on Android so why does the OM4 differ when the Drone SDK actually works great now day's.

Not sure what to do I might need to sell it and grab one of the bigger ones other than my Smooth X but I don't like the software of the Smooth X even tho I have both Gimbles DJI has a more cohesive product stack imo but lack of android functionality is a let down sure you can still use it just not when you need iso and shutter control for general pics and vlogs it's totally fine but not long exposure or anything else you need manual control for I need to use my default camera app for all that.

I don't see why they can't at least support the no1 flagship like the Galaxy Series, they rival Apple.
2020-9-15
Use props
djiuser_v6yPTLA7ZQmT
New
Netherlands

The Wookiee Posted at 9-15 08:42

Thing is...Android is open source...and every abdroid phone manufacturer puts its own 'unique' shell over the OS.
Like I mentioned before in another yopic...this is more a Google thing...DJI ( and other softwaredevelopers ) need direct access to the native camera apps without intervention by a shell.
I bougt my OM4 3 weeks ago and noticed I can't record videos in 60 FPS on my S8 and S10. It sucks but I'll be keeping it and hope this will be fixed in the near future.
2020-11-24
Use props
The Wookiee
lvl.2
Australia

djiuser_v6yPTLA7ZQmT Posted at 11-24 09:19
Thing is...Android is open source...and every abdroid phone manufacturer puts its own 'unique' shell over the OS.
Like I mentioned before in another yopic...this is more a Google thing...DJI ( and other softwaredevelopers ) need direct access to the native camera apps without intervention by a shell.
I bougt my OM4 3 weeks ago and noticed I can't record videos in 60 FPS on my S8 and S10. It sucks but I'll be keeping it and hope this will be fixed in the near future.

If they take aslong as they do with drone SDK releases it wont be anytime soon.
2020-11-24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 9-14 14:10
Thanks for sharing

This is a worry, two days before I order the Pocket.  I'm all Android here. Does this lack of compatibility extend to the Pocket as well I wonder.
2020-11-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blériot53 Posted at 11-24 22:08
This is a worry, two days before I order the Pocket.  I'm all Android here. Does this lack of compatibility extend to the Pocket as well I wonder.

Possibly, I guess
2020-11-24
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 11-24 23:30
Possibly, I guess

I'm on an older android so it may not be a problem
2020-11-25