Almost lost my Mavic Air 2 today. Serious bug
1283 14 2020-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans273d858a
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Hi,

I was flying the MA2 this morning. It was going fine until the point where the drone entered a small restricted area (which I didn't know about). Once inside the area, I lost pretty much all control. The drone wouldn't go forward/backward/sideways. It would only turn on itself or go up/down.

It looks like it was impossible to get out of the restricted area.

Tried Return to Home several times, but it was not coming back. Was reporting 'Obstacle in the way', which was incorrect, and stayed in place without moving. There were no obstacles whatsoever.

Moved the radio to 'Turbo', to disable 'Obstable avoidance' but no difference. Disables 'Obstacle avoidance' in the app, no difference.

It basically hovered for a couple of minutes without being able to be controlled, apart from spinning on itself. I had full video feed during all that time.

I thought it was just run out of battery and crash.

It suddenly became responsive and I was able to land...

Scary! Never had that issue before.

2020-9-13
Use props
Scott108
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314419 ft
United States

I would be really interested in seeing an analysis of the flight logs.  Can you upload them so one of the folks here that's good at log analysis can take a look?
2020-9-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Post logs, but you won’t be able to fly around in NFZ that’s the point of them and this includes RTH. it would be interesting to see logs and warnings, really you should have received prior warnings.
2020-9-13
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

scary.....
2020-9-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you try to drop altitude? You might have been at the edge of the altitude limit, if any.
2020-9-13
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

If you was in a NFZ area then as Hallmark said, you would not be able to move around. I got caught with this recently and flew my drone in a NFZ area and should have picked this up when it started flying forward very slowly and me failing to pay attention to this it eventually came to a stop, I drove to the area and flew the drone down to me. better to check the areas with Air share which is much more up to date with NFZ, Dji maps still catching up.
2020-9-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi fans273d858a, kindly please check if there is any warnings or error messages prompt in your app? If yes, please show us a screenshot or provide us with a screen recording video, we'd like to help you check it. Thanks.
2020-9-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

strange, i always thought that a drone is not allowed to fly into NFZ / restricted area.
Shouldn`t it stopped by the sofware before entering such a zone?

As asked by others, if you like upload your flightlog > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

cheers
JJB
2020-9-13
Use props
fans273d858a
lvl.4

United Kingdom

It was a blue "authorization" zone as opposed to a no fly zone. I was well under the maximum altitude limit.

Quite a small zone, probably 50m x 50x on top of some military installation I didn't even know existed. No other restrictions around.

Not sure why the drone flew into it, but once inside the zone, I could only rotate or go up or down. Couldn't go forward, backward or sideways. Pressing repeatedly RTF did nothing, as "obstacle reported" messages were showing each time (but there was no obstacles). Disabling obstacle avoidance did nothing either.

Lasted for 5 long minutes. Lucky for me I had plenty of battery left.
2020-9-14
Use props
fans273d858a
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I have uploaded the log on Phantomhelp, and there isn't a single error message captured during the 5 minutes, even during RTF (apart from "RTF cruise").
2020-9-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans273d858a Posted at 9-14 02:40
I have uploaded the log on Phantomhelp, and there isn't a single error message captured during the 5 minutes, even during RTF (apart from "RTF cruise").

Can you post flight log here.
2020-9-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JJB* Posted at 9-13 23:52
Hi,

strange, i always thought that a drone is not allowed to fly into NFZ / restricted area.

The usual explanation is flyers launching without GPS and flying into the NFZ.
The drone doesn't know it's in an NFZ until later when it gets GPS ... and it's too late.
2020-9-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Labroides Posted at 9-14 03:00
The usual explanation is flyers launching without GPS and flying into the NFZ.
The drone doesn't know it's in an NFZ until later when it gets GPS ... and it's too late.

Thanks Labroides,

Yes, if that is the case than it will be a mess.....drone wake-ups (gps connected) in a geo zone.  OMG...

So would be nice to see this flightlog what really happend.

cheers
JJB
2020-9-14
Use props
BKahuna
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7425909 ft
United States

I had this happen to me once and it turned out I'd flown into a NFZ that only restricted altitude.  It was the very end of a runway approach for an airport about 10 miles away.  Since I could only go down, I did so and eventually I was able to fly normally again.

2020-9-15
Use props
Ice_2k
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132575 ft
Romania

fans273d858a Posted at 9-14 02:20
It was a blue "authorization" zone as opposed to a no fly zone. I was well under the maximum altitude limit.

Quite a small zone, probably 50m x 50x on top of some military installation I didn't even know existed. No other restrictions around.

was this just at the beginning of your flight? I'm thinking about GPS accuracy and maybe as it acquired more satellites it suddenly realised it was in the middle of the NFZ. Very scary though, forcing the pilot to keep staying in the NFZ doesn't seem like the best option, sounds like it should allow you to exit the NFZ area...
I got such a warning once, I was flying around a small peninsula and apparently there was a military installation next to the lighthouse (I could see the radar, it was a pretty cool shot) and it told me I had entered an illegal area and to exit immediately. I panicked a bit because I didn't know exactly which way to go to exit said area and I was afraid of exactly this sort of behavior, maybe the drone landing on its own or something. It turned out ok though.
2020-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules