Reasons to Reset & Relink RC?
807 16 2020-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

What are the clear Reasons to Reset & Relink RC?

P3P: Have been having sudden loss of video on mobile display.

Reformatted micro SD card: SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB UHS 3.
RC controls gimbal.

DJI GO app allows changes to Photo/Video controls and displays their settings.

RC status light is green.

I hesitate to Reset and Relink controller.

Any help is appreciated; thanks in advance.

2020-9-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I doubt re-linking has anything to do with your problem, loss of video feed is pretty much standard procedure. It is a complex radio arrangement and can quite often fail due to a number of circumstances, such as local interference, the terrain where you fly, pointing of antennas etc.
2020-9-13
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

Geebax Posted at 9-13 14:11
I doubt re-linking has anything to do with your problem, loss of video feed is pretty much standard procedure. It is a complex radio arrangement and can quite often fail due to a number of circumstances, such as local interference, the terrain where you fly, pointing of antennas etc.

Geebax - thanks for your response. What I failed to mention is that the Phantom was never airborne when this lack of video feed happens. I simply restarted, after a month of disuse, the P3P at home before a planned flight to check settings. First, on startup, "Disconnected" displayed and the gimbal would drop from 0º and disconnect; RC green light remained on; camera settings were not accurate from previous flight one month ago. Once I reformatted SD card, in the drone, I had "Safe to Fly - Atti" mode display and the camera settings returned to previous values, but the video did not display.

Perhaps the better question would be, How to Restore the Video Display

2020-9-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You only need registeren when there is no connection between the controller and the craft. But that never happened to mine so far (after 3 years and many flights).
I have no clue what to do in your specific case. Other than try to reset to factory defaults and start over.
2020-9-13
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-13 21:58
You only need registeren when there is no connection between the controller and the craft. But that never happened to mine so far (after 3 years and many flights).
I have no clue what to do in your specific case. Other than try to reset to factory defaults and start over.

Montfrooij - It sounds like you are in agreement with Geebax; I am also. Since the RC communicates with the AC, there is no apparent reason to Relink. But what Geebax said about "local interference, the terrain where you fly, pointing of antennas" makes sense if the P3P is in the air.

This lack of video display is currently (in my house where I review GO app settings before a flight) with Airplane Mode ON, and no magnetic interference, and the antennas are parallel and perpendicular to the P3P, and the GO app HD video downlink icon indicates 100% connection. Also, the AC motors startup and the gimbal is controllable with the RC wheel.

Again, why is there no video display on the tablet?
2020-9-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyrvas Posted at 9-14 20:51
Montfrooij - It sounds like you are in agreement with Geebax; I am also. Since the RC communicates with the AC, there is no apparent reason to Relink. But what Geebax said about "local interference, the terrain where you fly, pointing of antennas" makes sense if the P3P is in the air.

This lack of video display is currently (in my house where I review GO app settings before a flight) with Airplane Mode ON, and no magnetic interference, and the antennas are parallel and perpendicular to the P3P, and the GO app HD video downlink icon indicates 100% connection. Also, the AC motors startup and the gimbal is controllable with the RC wheel.

Can you try another device?
2020-9-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I know the model of the mobile device you are using please? Kindly please back up your DJI Go files and reinstall the said application to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-9-15
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-14 22:40
Can you try another device?

Yes, I'll try that.
2020-9-15
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-15 07:44
Hi. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused. With regards to this concern. May I know the model of the mobile device you are using please? Kindly please back up your DJI Go files and reinstall the said application to isolate the issue. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.

Hi DJI Paladin (cool name) - Good question and advice.
iPad Model no. A1458, 4th gen/wi-fi only.
Reinstalling the DJI GO App, I have never had to do but will give it a try.

2020-9-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyrvas Posted at 9-15 20:13
Yes, I'll try that.

Let us know how it goes!
2020-9-16
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-16 03:19
Let us know how it goes!

Hi Montfrooij you and DJI Paladin asked for an update - here it is:

SUCCESS! There is a reason for everything and sometimes it is embarrassing. Last night (I have been checking and testing settings on the P3P after dark in my house with only one light on; family is asleep)  after reading that other pilots were able to capture photo/video on their drones even with no display image visible, I took a 3-shot AEB of the AC pointed at a window with the front lights reflected back but nothing but gray was on the images; just like on the mobile device display; so, I then changed the camera settings to a slow SS and high ISO, and, you guessed it, there were dim red lights on the images. Embarrassing!

When I get a chance I'll take the P3P outdoors in the daylight and fire her up - I expect normal telemetry and visual on the display.

Thank you all for your input!!!
2020-9-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

kyrvas Posted at 9-16 13:15

SUCCESS! There is a reason for everything and sometimes it is embarrassing. Last night (I have been checking and testing settings on the P3P after dark in my house with only one light on; family is asleep)  after reading that other pilots were able to capture photo/video on their drones even with no display image visible, I took a 3-shot AEB of the AC pointed at a window with the front lights reflected back but nothing but gray was on the images; just like on the mobile device display; so, I then changed the camera settings to a slow SS and high ISO, and, you guessed it, there were dim red lights on the images. Embarrassing!

Thank you for the additional information. We are happy to know that the drone is working fine. Please keep us posted for further assistance. Thank you.
2020-9-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyrvas Posted at 9-16 13:15

SUCCESS! There is a reason for everything and sometimes it is embarrassing. Last night (I have been checking and testing settings on the P3P after dark in my house with only one light on; family is asleep)  after reading that other pilots were able to capture photo/video on their drones even with no display image visible, I took a 3-shot AEB of the AC pointed at a window with the front lights reflected back but nothing but gray was on the images; just like on the mobile device display; so, I then changed the camera settings to a slow SS and high ISO, and, you guessed it, there were dim red lights on the images. Embarrassing!

No problem. Glad you got it sorted out (probably)
2020-9-16
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 9-16 13:54
No problem. Glad you got it sorted out (probably)

Maybe tomorrow I'll have time to start her up; then we'll know for sure.
2020-9-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyrvas Posted at 9-16 20:13
Maybe tomorrow I'll have time to start her up; then we'll know for sure.

2020-9-16
Use props
kyrvas
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for the thumbs-up Montfrooij!

Last evening while sun was still up, I tested the P3P outside for startup and video display.
The AC and RC connected without a problem. And, the display was of course brighter than indoors at night in low light. Alternating from manual to auto camera settings clearly changes the visibility on the display but outside in sunlight made the difference.

Three thoughts about my experience:
1.  Manual camera settings, e.g., 30 fps / 1/60 SS, drastically reduces device display in low light; but of course are useful when flying outdoors in sunlight.
2. SD format in AC. When I erased the SD card in the computer and reformatted to exFAT, there were issues with the camera settings; when I reformatted in the AC, the camera settings returned to their previous settings and remained in place (except for AEB 3-shot).
3. Start Sequence. RC - APP -AC  vs  RC - AC- APP. I've always followed DJI's advice, RC - AC - App but lately I have been having Disconnected alerts on startup. Someone on the forum suggested using, RC - App - AC, and I have not had a problem with Disconnected message on my P3P.

Thank you Geebax, Montfrooij, and DJI Paladin for your input.  
2020-9-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

kyrvas Posted at 9-18 09:48
Thanks for the thumbs-up Montfrooij!

Last evening while sun was still up, I tested the P3P outside for startup and video display.

Good to hear!
Have many safe flights!
2020-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules