Another battery thread
359 7 2020-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EdMay2112
lvl.1
United States

Hi all, I'm sure this is a repeat but it couldn't hurt to refresh because I am sure a lot of people want to know this.  This is concerning Mavic 2 Pro.  I know DJI has several documents on this, but t seems like a DJI should release another document digging deeper into these questions since there are so many battery concerns.
-I have seen different answers on the amount of days till discharge occurs.  I heard 10, but also remember reading somewhere the new software releases have been steadily lowering it to the now 2 days, is this correct?
-Can this "number of days till discharge" be changed anywhere?  Some people say it can be changed and some say it can't.
-This is a slightly more technical question, when a battery is at storage voltage, (after it has self discharged to about 60%), when it is connected to be charged, does the charger discharge it any further before fully charging it?  I ask this because of a few reasons: I have only charged my batteries a handfull of times so far, but from what I can remember, the green LED's around the button seem to do different things sometimes.  Sometimes they flash 1-4 (indicating a 0% starting point, when I know it was at 60% storage before plugging it in), is this an indicator that it's further discharging before charging???  Then the next thing I know it, it's full, without seeing the LED's starting to go solid as the charge level increases.  Other times it seems like the LED's do light up solid from 1-4 as the charge increases.  I will have to video the charging so I can be sure/review the video to watch the lights because I may just not have seen the LED's going solid as it charged, since I don't sit there and watch my batteries charge through the whole process.
Has anyone noticed this or is it just me?  
ALSO, I am very curious, when charging a battery from storage voltage, say 60%, does the charger discharge the battery any further before charging it?
I have been in RC for a while and I have always read that LiPo's never like to be lower than 3.2v per cell, that's when damage occurs, unfortunately, percentage doesn't tell you voltage. I have read of people flying thier drone until the battery is very low, I don't think that is a good idea, I will have to compare the percentage to the voltage the next time I fly to 40% and then again to 30%, but I wouldn't feel comfortable flying to 20% or lower.  
Any comments?  Thanks.
2020-9-14
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Can this "number of days till discharge" be changed anywhere? In the App under battery section you can change from 2 to 10 daysThis is a slightly more technical question, when a battery is at storage voltage, (after it has self discharged to about 60%), when it is connected to be charged, does the charger discharge it any further before fully charging it? No it will top up the power but will not discharge, the Dji charger cannot do discharging

Basically when you connect the battery and it has 2 lights on the battery when charging it will start inter flashing from 1 to 4 lights - if that makes sense. does not mean its discharging, as it tops up voltage the 3rd light will come on and then the 4th as it packs on the power
2020-9-14
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

Dont let your batteries fully charged to be discharged by dji self discharge system. 2 days is too long period to let your battery full charged. You must discharge it as soon as it possible every time you know that you wont fly your drone.  i have 4 batteries, 2 years old and more than 60 cycles, which are like new. I do follow 2 specific rules. I always store it 50, 60% charged, i never let it fully charged even few hours when i wont intend to use it, and never let it get hotter than 48 celsius degrees. plus never use it or charge it when it is hot or warm.  If you do that i assure you will never open here a thread  complaining about swelling batteries.

ps after manually  discharge it to 60% the dji self discharge system wont affect  your batteries
2020-9-14
Use props
EdMay2112
lvl.1
United States

Ok, good stuff, thanks.  Is there a way to manually discharge a battery without powering up the drone and flying it?
2020-9-14
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

you can use the battery as power bank but the better way is powering up your drone. I have 4 batteries so i use to fly my drone till the battery charge reaches 60%, land it and change the battery.  I fly 4 batteries till 60% instead of 2 batteries till 20% when it is possible.  Avoid let it reach less than 20% because it may short the battery life. But sometimes you will need to do it. But try to never store it full, empty or let it get hot. Both  are the worse you can do on lipo batteries
2020-9-14
Use props
bikoo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1534987 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

EdMay2112 Posted at 9-14 11:24
Ok, good stuff, thanks.  Is there a way to manually discharge a battery without powering up the drone and flying it?

you can charge your mobile us it as power bank
2020-9-14
Use props
EdMay2112
lvl.1
United States

What is the easiest way to get USB off the battery to charge a phone?
2020-9-15
Use props
EdMay2112
lvl.1
United States

I answered my own question about getting a USB from the battery.  I remembered seeing some adapters in my fly more kit, it's an adapter that plugs into the battery and gives you 2 USB ports.  
2020-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules