Can I get closer?
652 12 2020-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ESchimidt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310879 ft
Brazil

This fire has been going on for 4 days. We have been without rain for 4 months.
I was afraid to fly closer. Can smoke, soot ... damage the Mavic mini?

2020-9-14
Use props
XXXXDronerXXXXX
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

yes. wont come back
2020-9-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1292802 ft
  • >>>
United States

The smoke may block the visual sensors or even leave a layer of soot on them. That could be bad for the downward facing ones that measure the height above the ground when it is under 10 meters. Other than that I don't think there would be a problem. I would get closer but stay out of the smoke. In any case, clean them and the camera lens after use.
2020-9-14
Use props
K6CCC
First Officer
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

I am assuming that you are not in the USA, so our rules do not apply.  However, if your firefighters are using ANY aircraft for any task related to the fire, DO NOT FLY anywhere near the fire.  The last thing you want to do is have your drone cause a fire helicopter to crash.  At least around here, if a drone is spotted, they will immediately suspend ALL flight operations.  That means that the fire gets bigger...

Don't be stupid!
2020-9-14
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1292802 ft
  • >>>
United States

K6CCC Posted at 9-14 15:07
I am assuming that you are not in the USA, so our rules do not apply.  However, if your firefighters are using ANY aircraft for any task related to the fire, DO NOT FLY anywhere near the fire.  The last thing you want to do is have your drone cause a fire helicopter to crash.  At least around here, if a drone is spotted, they will immediately suspend ALL flight operations.  That means that the fire gets bigger...

Don't be stupid!

"At least around here, if a drone is spotted, they will immediately suspend ALL flight operations"

That is very interesting. I assume that they would surely stop all flights if they see an airboarn mature bald eagle in the area also. That bird is 18x heavier with a 12x greater wingspan than the Mini .... in addition to being protected. If not....now that is very stupid!
2020-9-14
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2770725 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very sad sight.
2020-9-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there ESchimidt. Thank you for reaching out and for posting this video you have captured using your DJI Mavic Mini. The DJI Mavic Mini's Operating Temperature Range is from 0° to 40°C ( 32° to 104°F ). In addition I will post a DJI video on DJI Tutorials - Flying in Hot and Cold Weather. I hope that everyone there is fine and safe and please stay safe always.

2020-9-14
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 15283773 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tragic sight. Take care.
2020-9-14
Use props
ESchimidt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310879 ft
Brazil

Thank you all.
Firefighters have aircraft, but not enough for the drought period.
I am aware of my attitudes.
2020-9-15
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4463455 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm here in Oregon and I have not and will not fly while these fires
are going. Reasons are if you fly the firefighters can't. That's one of the first
rules of drone flying. Second I paid to much to damage my bird to get
smoke footage and end up with smoke damage. Make better decision.
2020-9-15
Use props
AMIR_king
First Officer
Flight distance : 372992 ft
United States

Yeah, one reckless move and many lives are lost. Be smart when flying.
2020-9-15
Use props
AMIR_king
First Officer
United States

Even if they see a drone at a completely different altitude, the will halt the operation. At least thats what the do here in america, dont know about brazil.
2020-9-15
Use props
AMIR_king
First Officer
United States

Horrific sight. Stay safe.
2020-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules