"Overheating" and "Too Low" without flying in 65F
610 11 2020-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RandyPetersen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55453 ft
United States

It was about 65 F this morning. Going through the first flight checklist, I thought maybe those errors were just part of the first flight wizard, thing. Hoping it's just something I did something wrong, but not sure what. This was before I even took off, got both "too low" and " overheating" errors.

I am at wifi now, so there is an update I will be doing, but hoping someone will have some input.

Also, as it's doing it's update, the drone is powered on, but obviously not flying. It seems the base of drone is getting very hot. I can still hold it, but surprised it's that warm for not doing anything but updates. I can hear fan running.  Is that heat/fan normal behavior?

Thanks,
Randy

IMG_2890.PNG IMG_2889.PNG

2020-9-16
Use props
RandyPetersen
lvl.1
United States

https://app.airdata.com/share/UpVUif

2020-9-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Check your fan if its working, you should be able to hear it
2020-9-16
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Just make sure you do anyudating or anything else with a pc, keep it on a hard flat surface for airflow.
I have seen images of folks updating while the AC was sitting on the floor/carpet. Not a good idea...

But wait a second, first warning was AC "overheating", then the second one was AC "to cold"......
??

2020-9-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Flycaster Posted at 9-16 11:00
Just make sure you do anyudating or anything else with a pc, keep it on a hard flat surface for airflow.
I have seen images of folks updating while the AC was sitting on the floor/carpet. Not a good idea...

in 11 seconds and usage of 1% batt  craft from cold to hot    amazing!
2020-9-16
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

JJB* Posted at 9-16 11:08
in 11 seconds and usage of 1% batt  craft from cold to hot    amazing!

No kidding. I know this does not relate that well to the Mini but I had the heat sink completely removed from that the other day while testing the motors and sitting on a bench with no props. It took about 2 minutes to get a high temp warning.
2020-9-16
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flycaster Posted at 9-16 11:00
Just make sure you do anyudating or anything else with a pc, keep it on a hard flat surface for airflow.
I have seen images of folks updating while the AC was sitting on the floor/carpet. Not a good idea...

This is what I use for good ventilation while updating .... a plastic butter tub with holes ;-)

2020-9-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Randy. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and I sincerely apologize that the drone has not performed as expected. Kindly please power on your DJI Mavic Air 2 and let it sit idle for a while, then check whether the fan spins. If the fan spins, please upload the flight records and flight controller log. If it does not, please contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance and for further diagnosis. Thank you.
2020-9-16
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

GaryDoug Posted at 9-16 12:41
No kidding. I know this does not relate that well to the Mini but I had the heat sink completely removed from that the other day while testing the motors and sitting on a bench with no props. It took about 2 minutes to get a high temp warning.

i was just joking, but 2 minutes is 10 times beter than 11 seconds   
2020-9-16
Use props
RandyPetersen
lvl.1
United States

Yes, I my fan turn on almost immediately after turning on the drone. I would say between 0 and 30 seconds and fan kicks on.

Good news is that I did the firmware update and it hasn't given me any of those issues. During that firmware update though, the bottom got very hot, even thought it was relatively cool here and on a hard well ventilated surface. I am worrying I got one of the MA2 drones that needed a bit more thermal compound?? That's a nice cooling platform GaryDoug.  I wonder if you could use a notebook cooler with fan to keep some air blowing on it during updates.

It took about 10mins and the temp of bottom heatsink got to be around 108f, which is probably normal? camera was not on.  I got a little probe I taped onto the heatsink.

I took it out for a flight yesterday, no errors and flew great. Temp seemed fine to the touch.
I will take it out for a flight and test it further, excited about errors going away after firmware update.

DJI Stephen, did you still want to see logs? or since it's working go with it?
2020-9-17
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RandyPetersen Posted at 9-17 07:30
Yes, I my fan turn on almost immediately after turning on the drone. I would say between 0 and 30 seconds and fan kicks on.

Good news is that I did the firmware update and it hasn't given me any of those issues. During that firmware update though, the bottom got very hot, even thought it was relatively cool here and on a hard well ventilated surface. I am worrying I got one of the MA2 drones that needed a bit more thermal compound?? That's a nice cooling platform GaryDoug.  I wonder if you could use a notebook cooler with fan to keep some air blowing on it during updates.

That's a great idea about the laptop cooling panel. I even have one in a cabinet somewhere that I never use for anything now. Thanks.
2020-9-17
Use props
RandyPetersen
lvl.1
United States

Flew it again last night, everything behaved fine. A little glitchy when I went into a path with trees on both sides of me, but performing rock steady in open air.
Thanks
2020-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules