Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air 2 Help Please
1397 33 2020-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi All,

I am fairly new to drones and started basic with Hubsan H501SS, then wanted a folding drone so purchased an MJX Bugs 4. I wanted a decent gimble so then purchased a Zino. Now these fly amazing and can upload footage from SD card to PC and is crystal clear footage. I purchased these drones used.
My dream has always been to own a DJI drone so sold many things to purchase one...

I ended up getting the Mavic Air 2..... and WOW!!!!!!! so stable in the air as flown once. I was so delighted, I uploaded footag to PC to view. Well, I was quite upset as when playing the video it was all jittery every few seconds and wondered why a £1000 drone could do this. I had it set to 2.7k as been told most older computers cannot handle 4k too well.

Should I set it to 1080p as that is what my other drones as standard set to? I am no photographer in any shape or form and just want to fly my Mavic, upload to computer then use movie maker to add to my YouTube.

All or any help would be much appreciated. I was told that I must use ND filters.... but why do I not need them on my other basic drones?

Thanks again.
Waddac2
2020-9-16
Use props
Cavu Films
Second Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

What are your computer specs?

Have you tried a different video player on your computer?
2020-9-16
Use props
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Cavu Films Posted at 9-16 12:49

Thank you for reply Captain.
I am not a computer whizz, LOL!!!!! so managed to take this snap of my computer settings.

Player wise on computer, I use VLC Media Player as meant to be able to play everything with no issues. Capture.PNG
2020-9-16
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

5 GB might be a bit skimpy for viewing a file that is almost that large. CPU may be ok but marginal, 5 core would be better. I would add some RAM.
By the way, I use no filters yet and have no such problems.

2020-9-16
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Waddac2. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try using a different PC for us to be able to isolate the said issue. Thank you.
2020-9-16
Use props
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

GaryDoug Posted at 9-16 20:26
5 GB might be a bit skimpy for viewing a file that is almost that large. CPU may be ok but marginal, 5 core would be better. I would add some RAM.
By the way, I use no filters yet and have no such problems.

Thanks for that info. Would I be better dropping to 1080p until I can afford a better computer?
2020-9-17
Use props
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-16 20:46
Hello there Waddac2. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for reaching out. Kindly please try using a different PC for us to be able to isolate the said issue. Thank you.

I cannot afford another PC at this moment in time. Some youtubers think it was a micro sd card issue but after research seems mine is okay. As stated Gary, should I drop settings to 1080p
2020-9-17
Use props
Magicdroner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 101086 ft
United States

Cavu Films Posted at 9-16 12:49

Hi. This could be a video card issue on your computer. Upgrade your video card driver. I use VLC player (free download and usage) to view video files flawlessly. Also what type of Operating System on your computer?  Install the latest updates for your computer. Also try playing the microSD card in another computer device (if available) to see that the drone video is not the problem. Hopefully these suggestions might help.
2020-9-17
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

waddac2 Posted at 9-17 13:34
Thanks for that info. Would I be better dropping to 1080p until I can afford a better computer?

I would try that. My pc is a bit dated also with just a core 3, but with 16 GB ram. And I do have minor issues with playing back 4k video.
2020-9-17
Use props
MisterFrag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

You do not need to upgrade any part of your computer to view the footage smoothly. All you need to do is transcode the files that the drone recorded to a less demanding format using free software such as Handbrake.
2020-9-17
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Smoothly but at far lower resolution. How is that better? I can do that with Windows Movie Maker.
2020-9-17
Use props
MisterFrag
lvl.4
Flight distance : 603143 ft
United States

It doesn’t need to be lower resolution, although since the original poster said it’s an older computer, it probably can’t display the full 4K resolution anyway. So why not convert to MPEG2 in HD? Archive the 4K H.265 files for use in a year or two on a new computer, or just upload the 4K material to Youtube — it will encode streams suitable for different resolution devices and bandwidths.
2020-9-17
Use props
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thank you for all the help gents as much appreciated.
I may swap the settings to 1080P at 50fps or 60fps and see how that works out. Weather not great here in UK so not sure when I can test flight.
Will also look into the free software Handbrake... Im not a computer whizz, so hope it is easy to use if needed. So, does Youtube auto fix such things when uploading?

Thinking of Youtube.... I watched videos on setting advanced gimble settings and set them to what youtubers recommended prior to first flight... Should I have left these settings as standard????.

Thank you again for advice and help, and so sorry for all the questions but I ask to learn best I can.
2020-9-18
Use props
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Magicdroner Posted at 9-17 17:06
Hi. This could be a video card issue on your computer. Upgrade your video card driver. I use VLC player (free download and usage) to view video files flawlessly. Also what type of Operating System on your computer?  Install the latest updates for your computer. Also try playing the microSD card in another computer device (if available) to see that the drone video is not the problem. Hopefully these suggestions might help.

Thanks for that buddy. I cannot afford to update anything on my PC regarding hardware. I do test for software updated every day or two though.

As for media player, yes I use VLC as best that I have ever used. Thanks for your reply and help my friend.
2020-9-18
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

The E6750 is ancient!  That is a 12 year old CPU.. CPU benchmark for that is 971.  By comparison, my two+ year old (then fairly top of the line from Intel) is 13,105 and the current top of the heap is 88,675.  Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your old computer is a large part of your issue.  More RAM may help, but I doubt it much.  Can I assume you are also running either Windows XP or Windows 7?  I can't image that CPU running Windows 10 worth a darn - if at all.  With the older OS, added RAM won't help much (if at all).  A good refurbished i5 is almost a give away item these days.

And I also use VLC and am very happy with it.
2020-9-18
Use props
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

K6CCC Posted at 9-18 15:06
The E6750 is ancient!  That is a 12 year old CPU.. CPU benchmark for that is 971.  By comparison, my two+ year old (then fairly top of the line from Intel) is 13,105 and the current top of the heap is 88,675.  Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your old computer is a large part of your issue.  More RAM may help, but I doubt it much.  Can I assume you are also running either Windows XP or Windows 7?  I can't image that CPU running Windows 10 worth a darn - if at all.  With the older OS, added RAM won't help much (if at all).  A good refurbished i5 is almost a give away item these days.

And I also use VLC and am very happy with it.

Why do my other couple of drones have no issue with play back when adding to computer. They are crystal clear buddy, hence reason I am thinking of changing setting on Air 2 down to 1080P at 50fps or 60fps.

By the way..... My PC is running Windows 10 Pro.

Capturew.PNG
2020-9-18
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Something else I didn’t catch if mentioned, but what kind of sd cards are you using in the Mavic Air 2? That needs to be at least a U3 card rated for 4K recording speeds. If this has been brought up my apologies for missing it. Although you’r your computer specs have a little to do with it. Try it in 1080p and see how it fairs for sure. If it does good and you’ve checked the card, then it for sure would be time to upgrade your computer as you can afford to.
2020-9-18
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

waddac2 Posted at 9-18 16:47
Why do my other couple of drones have no issue with play back when adding to computer. They are crystal clear buddy, hence reason I am thinking of changing setting on Air 2 down to 1080P at 50fps or 60fps.

Definitely not 50 or 60 fps as this setting will tax your computer processing power more than necessary for 1080 resolution. No benefit in image quality, other than perhaps less stuttered panning ...
2020-9-18
Use props
Pappy3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Have you tried copying the files to the hard disk on your PC and then play the video from the disk? If it's an older computer you may have a USB 2 instead of a faster USB 3.0 which could be a bottleneck. Also make sure you are recording in H.264 and NOT H.265.
2020-9-18
Use props
K6CCC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 651683 ft
United States

Why do my other couple of drones have no issue with play back when adding to computer. They are crystal clear buddy, hence reason I am thinking of changing setting on Air 2 down to 1080P at 50fps or 60fps.

What frame size and frame speed are you running on your other drones?

I'm surprised that it would even install.
2020-9-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I was told that I must use ND filters.... but why do I not need them on my other basic drones?
You don't need them.
Most drone flyers don't need them, but forum and youtube people love to tell people they do.
And their audience that wouldn't know better love to repeat the same myths and spread them.

Ignore them and if you are happy with your videos, don't worry about it.
2020-9-18
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Your other couple drones arent having a problem because they  most definitely do not have the bit rate the air 2 has. So now u have the air 2 recording at a higher bit rate which means more data ....and i dont mean your fps like 30 or 60 ....the air 2 can do 120 mbps bitrate.....also make sure your sd card is a u3 as a u1 will not cut it.
2020-9-18
Use props
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 9-18 17:02
Something else I didn’t catch if mentioned, but what kind of sd cards are you using in the Mavic Air 2? That needs to be at least a U3 card rated for 4K recording speeds. If this has been brought up my apologies for missing it. Although you’r your computer specs have a little to do with it. Try it in 1080p and see how it fairs for sure. If it does good and you’ve checked the card, then it for sure would be time to upgrade your computer as you can afford to.

This is the SD Card I am using buddy. Yes also going to try 1080P but what FPS would be a good for all round settings? I am a newbie and not a Pro picture or video taker. I just wat good footage like I get from my Hubsan H501SS

Sandisk Extreme Plus 64GB
U3 A1. and states V30

2020-9-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

waddac2 Posted at 9-19 15:52
This is the SD Card I am using buddy. Yes also going to try 1080P but what FPS would be a good for all round settings? I am a newbie and not a Pro picture or video taker. I just wat good footage like I get from my Hubsan H501SS

Set the video to 1080P, no more than 30 fpm, H.264 codec. You can enjoy the benefits of 4K video later after upgrading your computer system ...
2020-9-19
Use props
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-18 17:14
Definitely not 50 or 60 fps as this setting will tax your computer processing power more than necessary for 1080 resolution. No benefit in image quality, other than perhaps less stuttered panning ...

Should I set at 1080p and maybe 24fps or something?
2020-9-19
Use props
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks again everyone... This forum is such a great help and commend you all for helping.
I as said, am not wanting fantastic cool shots and videos that look like a movie set, I just want to fly and have fun with half decent videos to upload to youtube.
All the talk of settings, setting this that and the other go way over my head. LOL!!!!
2020-9-19
Use props
GaryDoug
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

waddac2 Posted at 9-19 16:46
Should I set at 1080p and maybe 24fps or something?

I would just experiment with the various settings and see what works for you.
2020-9-19
Use props
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-19 16:12
Set the video to 1080P, no more than 30 fpm, H.264 codec. You can enjoy the benefits of 4K video later after upgrading your computer system ...

Hi Buddy,

I have set to 1080p and 24fps in settings and made sure it was also set to H.264 codec.

While in the video settings, I noticed it was set to Normal. Does it need to be set to HDR instead of normal for better video etc.... and with it set on normal, could this have been the problem of jitter movements in the flight video after uploading to PC?

Should I leave as normal or swap to HDR with your recommended 1080p settings my friend?
2020-9-20
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

waddac2 Posted at 9-20 16:06
Hi Buddy,

I have set to 1080p and 24fps in settings and made sure it was also set to H.264 codec.

HDR option is just a marketing hype for in-house cooked High Dynamic Resolution look of the video. It has nothing to do with a playback of 1080p/24 fps video on your computer. You may experiment with these options (Normal, HDR etc.) to your liking, but 1080p/24 fps/h.264 codec should remain as a must for now.
2020-9-20
Use props
spetersen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501952 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

It might have to do with recording settings in the Fly app, Have faced the same problem and I use an Apple computer and currently with the pre installed Quick time player do not support H.265. Use H.264 instead . I use MP4 and H.264 and that works perfect. You set in the the fly app. I use 4K and 30 fps.
2020-9-21
Use props
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-20 18:51
HDR option is just a marketing hype for in-house cooked High Dynamic Resolution look of the video. It has nothing to do with a playback of 1080p/24 fps video on your computer. You may experiment with these options (Normal, HDR etc.) to your liking, but 1080p/24 fps/h.264 codec should remain as a must for now.

Thank you again for that Matthew.... You are a True Officer and a Gent for all your help and advice. I will leave the setting as they are after your great advice and cannot wait to test on a less windy day.

Rich (waddac2)
2020-9-21
Use props
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

spetersen Posted at 9-21 01:12
It might have to do with recording settings in the Fly app, Have faced the same problem and I use an Apple computer and currently with the pre installed Quick time player do not support H.265. Use H.264 instead . I use MP4 and H.264 and that works perfect. You set in the the fly app. I use 4K and 30 fps.

Thanks for that buddy. My PC is that old, it was dragged up from remains of the Titanic
2020-9-21
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

waddac2 Posted at 9-21 14:24
Thank you again for that Matthew.... You are a True Officer and a Gent for all your help and advice. I will leave the setting as they are after your great advice and cannot wait to test on a less windy day.

Rich (waddac2)

Oh, I've been called names before ...
2020-9-21
Use props
waddac2
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 9-21 14:58
Oh, I've been called names before ...

Me too, but if mention names I have been called, I would get kicked off this great forum
2020-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules