Gimbal vs Flight XMP
4460 10 2020-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
apapadakis
New

United States

Hi everyone, hope you are doing well.

I only have a question about the metadata of a picture taken by a DJI drone. So when viewing the XMP Metadata, there are two types of Yaw, Roll, and Pitch (the angles around the three axes), the two types are: Flight & Gimbal. I know that Flight e.g. Yaw will be the angle between North and the direction that the Camera is facing. Meaning, if FlightYaw is -90 degrees (and we are perfectly horizontal), I know then that the drone is pointing towards West, if FlightYaw is +90, then the drone is pointing towards East (negative values mean left of North, please let me know if I am incorrect for this assumption).

So now what I don't understand is exactly what angle does Gimbal measure? I initially thought it was the same as Flight, meaning Gimbal Yaw also measures angle between North and where the camera is pointing, assuming perfectly horizontal Drone and Camera, but I now think that Gimbal is actually Camera direction versus Flight Direction. Is that correct? So for example, if drone and camera perfectly horizontal, and Flight Yaw is +90 (drone faces East) and Gimbal Yaw is also +90 (the camera is 90 degrees right of direction of drone), then the direction that the camera is facing (and the picture is taken) must +90 +90 = 180 degrees from North which is South. Is all this math correct or have I made a wrong assumption?

Thank you for your help & time in advance,
Andreas

2020-9-17
Use props
IPGP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434852 ft

France

@andreas Did you find more information about yaw, pitch and roll ? Thanks
2022-7-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

IPGP Posted at 7-19 07:06
@andreas Did you find more information about yaw, pitch and roll ? Thanks

Pitch, roll and yaw are measures of the drone's orientation.
Pitch is the angle up or down, roll shows how far the drone is tilted left or right and yaw is the compass angle which sjows the direction the drone is pointing.

But the gimbal also moves in three axes to stabilise the image.
Gimbal pitch indicates the vertical angle of the gimbal.
Gimbal roll is the angle the camera is tilted relative to the horizon.
Gimbal yaw is a measurement of how far the gimbal is moving left or right of straight ahead
2022-7-19
Use props
IPGP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434852 ft

France

Labroides Posted at 7-19 15:22
Pitch, roll and yaw are measures of the drone's orientation.
Pitch is the angle up or down, roll shows how far the drone is tilted left or right and yaw is the compass angle which sjows the direction the drone is pointing.

Hi,
After some tests with a phantom 4 RTK, I can say that  Gimbal yaw is the direction the drone is pointing to. 0 is North, 90 is Est,....
Thanks
2022-7-25
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

IPGP Posted at 7-25 00:41
Hi,
After some tests with a phantom 4 RTK, I can say that  Gimbal yaw is the direction the drone is pointing to. 0 is North, 90 is Est,....
Thanks

If Gimbal Yaw is the direction the drone is pointing, what's Flight Yaw??

Gimbal yaw is a measurement of the direction the gimbal is pointing.

yaw.jpg
2022-7-25
Use props
dnzcntrk
New

Turkey

Recently my assumption was, Gimbal Yaw and Flight yaw are completely different angles independent from each other. While, Flight yaw is about drones direction, Gimbal Yaw is about camera's direction. however while trying to find out North and some others angle and distance from the gimbal yaw is not producing the correct result. I believe there must be some sort of relation. But i cannot be sure about it. Still investigating. If i find out sth i will share over here... Regards.
2022-9-11
Use props
djiuser_0YyOyYUr9SYy
lvl.1

France

Hi guys,
I am having the same issu about the gimbal and flight yaw.
It's been months that i am stuck on this problem about how to distinguish gimabl and flight yaw...
Does anybody find the solution ?
2022-10-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_0YyOyYUr9SYy Posted at 10-6 03:44
Hi guys,
I am having the same issu about the gimbal and flight yaw.
It's been months that i am stuck on this problem about how to distinguish gimabl and flight yaw...

What's the problem?
Flight yaw and gimbal yaw are clearly identified in the image metadata.
2022-10-6
Use props
djiuser_0YyOyYUr9SYy
lvl.1

France

My problem is the same as dnzcntrk :
"... while trying to find out North and some others angle and distance from the gimbal yaw is not producing the correct result ..."
I want to find north from an image based on image metadata like Flight and Gimbal yaw, but when I apply my transormation to get a north direction vector the results are not correct.
My vector is pointing in different direction, but not north...
I am wondering, as dnzcntrk already did,  if there is a relation between flight and gimbal yaw, or if there is something else I missed about the orientation angles.
2022-10-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_0YyOyYUr9SYy Posted at 10-10 01:29
My problem is the same as dnzcntrk :
"... while trying to find out North and some others angle and distance from the gimbal yaw is not producing the correct result ..."
I want to find north from an image based on image metadata like Flight and Gimbal yaw, but when I apply my transormation to get a north direction vector the results are not correct.

Post your image and we can see what the metadata shows.
2022-10-10
Use props
djiuser_0YyOyYUr9SYy
lvl.1

France

Here is a screenshot of one image metadata of the attitude of the gimbal and drone

2022-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules